Disappointed in Lone Wolf

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Ewing, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Ewing

Ewing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was really hoping for something new out of Lone Wolf this year. It seems to me that their product line has become stagnant since the departure of Andrae D'Aquisto. I was able to spend some time in the XOP booth at the ATA show talking with Andrae's son Cody who seems like great guy, and the improvents they have made to Andrae's original designs are excellent. Cody also mentioned that there are further improvements coming to the run and gun platforms while the guy in the Lone Wolf booth said that they are playing with ladder stands for the future. I was wondering, although very similar setups, has any one used both the Lone Wolf and XOP run and gun setups and what can you say about your experiences? I am looking into buying an XOP Vanish and a set of sticks as I already have an Alpha with and set of Lone Wolf sticks.

2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only have experience with XOP products. I do own a Lone Wolf Alpha Tech F1 but I'm very aware that, that stand is much different than any of the other Lone Wolf stands so I'll only tell you my experience with the XOPs.

The XOP stands I own are the Vanish and Air Raid. I also own 2 sets of climbing sticks. In my experience with the XOP stands I will say that I like them very much. They are easy to setup, fairly lightweight, very quiet, and offer the same features that Lone Wolf has in their setups for a better price. I also like the green color (although it doesn't matter in hunting). The stands are very comfortable. I've spent many all day sits in my Air Raid. As far as the climbing sticks, I also like them very much. They are heavier than Lone Wolf's but I do like the features they offer in the 1/4 turn locking mechanism, the larger steps, and are a little longer than Lone Wolf's. In my opinion I would recommend both the sticks and stands. :tu:

buckeye likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve only hunted out of the silver which was replaced by the air raid. Overall I like my lonewolf stand better and xop sticks better even though they are heavier. Both great stands

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you currently have the Alpha, you will be really disappointed in the Vanish.

IMO there isn’t really much you can do to improve the LW stands without sacrificing something that makes them great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangerdan, cant, pick00l and 2 others like this.
  5. Ewing

Ewing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've actually hunted from the Assult multiple times which as you know is the same model as the Vanish. I like that it's a little lighter and smaller and think that it definitely has it's own scenarios that it can be beneficial. I think there is room for improvement on the lone wolf stands such as improving the stackability of the sticks and the metal versa buttons are a big positive as well on the XOP. It also features a much thicker seat and it mounts a little better. I enjoy my lone wolf system but think that I may like the XOP a little better.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more! I can't recall anyone saying they were "disappointed" with LW for any reason. God bless Lone Wolf. :tu:

cant likes this.
  7. Ewing

Ewing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well thanks for the imput Mr. president of the Lone Wolf fan boy club!

8. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    This is funny! :lmao2:

9. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both. 2 seasons ago I bought the XOP Vanish XT. It was one of the prototypes but the finished approved model. Got it from Cody at XOP. I killed a buck out of it and had no issues using it. Its a very nice stand. However, I ended up sending the xop sticks back as they were a lot heavier than the 4 lone wolf sticks I currently had. The problem I have is carrying my stand/sticks together so I ended up buying a lone wolf assault to try out the stick quiver for a season. Works great, however much improvment needed still in the way people stack/carry them I think. I just dont know how as i've thought through this a ton. I ended up selling my XOP vanish to someone but honestly would have no issue getting another one. If i didnt have my lone wolf and needed a stand. I would most likely buy the XOP to save some money as they both get the job done in my opinion.

Ewing likes this.
  10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're a member here for a cool week and you're already calling folks names? Impressive. :biggrin: Oh, it's input, not imput.

11. Ewing

Ewing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir!! This was the kind of response I was looking for, actually speaking from experience. Thank you again.

kurveball18 likes this.
  12. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The difference between the stands themselves is like splitting hairs. It's simply personal preference as they are basically the same stands.

The XOP sticks weigh a bit more but have a bit more to offer than the Lonewolf as mentioned above.

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How much are you being paid to praise Lonewolf like that ;)

I kid, I kid.

14. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In related news...I just bought a literal crap ton of Lone Wolf Alpha Tech F1 stands. too good of a deal to pass up.

Marauder likes this.
  15. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    There's a club? Where can I sign up?

Aaron Jones likes this.
  16. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I saw that deal, I almost purchased one but wouldn't say I really "need" another stand but would certainly "want" one. True story though, wife said no. :tu:

17. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I bought....a lot....and Told my wife it was the hunting version of buying bitcoin.

Aaron Jones and Marauder like this.
  18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How are the alpha techs?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Truth be told I’ve never owned one before. Platform design is different than the classic Lonewolf. The seat is big and comfy though. The strap system is just like all the others and that’s what I really like about them anyway

Shocker99 likes this.
  20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't that more of an observation than name calling? :biggrin:

early in likes this.