NYS Shed hunting

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by quickstick, Jan 11, 2018.

1. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone in NYS ever have much luck with finding sheds? I’ve only tried it a few times & never found any. As I’m not in ag country, those tactics won’t work. Suggestions of where & when to start looking would be very appreciated

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wait until march, ( geo) pending. First cloudy day after the snow leaves is a great plan..... And if you are considering going now because of the warm front, DONT. A few might have dropped but don't risk it.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your in western NY...save your unless your looking for exercise

cant likes this.
  4. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I’m not planning on looking for sheds yet as like you said most probably haven’t dropped yet. But this weekend I do need to check some trail cams & really need to find different locations for stands. All of the decent bucks disappeared at the beginning of bow season. So I’m in the wrong places. There’s one place that’s super thick and probably a great bedding area, but I’ve never been in it. No trees for stands but thinking I can back track from the beds to an area with trees that could hold a stand.

I might be looking to soon but something has to change. My desire for sheds is partly for rattling as the plastic ones just don’t sound right and to see if any of the nicer bucks are still around. That an wait until spring.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All valid but I would not go into woods at all for a bit. After they all drop then I'll be going in personally to move stands and begin my scout season.
    There is no substitution for real bone when rattling! This is truth!

6. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Had to go in to grab two cams that I knew had dead batteries. Found some REALLY FRESH rubs and some a bit older that weren’t there during the season. The one I’m pointing to is as high as my chin. I’m 5’7”. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yeah that's great sign... And that sign says stay out lol

gltomp likes this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait to see the sheds you find in there tho

9. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Im a total NEWBIE when it comes to shed hunting and post season scouting. With that said, how long would you stay out for? One of the cams with dead batteries I fixed and put so it would capture this area. The other one I haven’t decided where to put yet. Obviously neither were in good spots before as they had only a few doe pics.

Background info - I put a hang on about 30 yards from these rubs & there were a bunch of scrapes there as well. This spot is in the left upper corner of a field edge & I noticed it while sitting on the right lower corner. There were two large bucks that came from this general location in early November. So a quick scout & hung stand by mid nov. I sat it a few times when the wind was right & had some good doe sightings but no bucks. During this same time it seemed like all the bucks disappeared. Not just our areas, but other hunters said the same in their areas as well.

There are only two bucks that I know of that could be large enough to reach this high to rub. [​IMG]. This is Boo
    [​IMG] this guy I called mystery buck. Boo is on the left & got pics of them in a bit of a scuffle over a trophy rock

I’ve never found sheds and def believe your statement that real horns work best. Want a real set of my own & not willing to pay near $100 for them. Any advice is greatly appreciated

10. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Boo seems to be the larger of the two. Others here have suggested he’s 3.5 yrs. but he didn’t seem as aggressive as the other buck.

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly feel they are both 2.5. Which is great for you, because they are going to be awesome and in mid 120s +. Mid February and after ( snow pending) I would walk your property multiple times and create a map with rubs and possible stand locations while looks for sheds and beds.
    Knowing your land is the factor that ppl always seem to forget. I know it sounds crazy but I enjoy prep as much as hunting season. Where big bucks sleep, eat, walk and why is a equation in its basic form... The more variables you figure out the higher the percent of taking the dominant buck in the area.

12. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Got out to look last week while it was mid 50’s & overcast. Found not only my first shed but a matched pair.
    [​IMG]

Not what I’m hoping for but encouraged to get out for more......... Once this blasted snow melts again.

You finding any?

TheHardWoods913 and cant like this.
  13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! I have fought the urge. Every time the weather says go I went to one of my easy to reach cam properties and yanked cards and I still have bucks holding. When this last 12 inches we just got leaves I should be good to go. I hope the cams agree

14. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out in the Orange and Ulster county area and have seen anything. Hows everyone else doing?

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Still holding as of the 10th

cant likes this.
  16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But since we got 6 inches last night I don't have to fight the urge... Hoping snow will be gone near the end of the month

cant likes this.
  17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yea boys and girls... Snow should be gone by end of next week! Finally going to pound some ground. I have 400 acres to find one specific set. Loads of history and would really love to get a accurate score to last year's rack

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  18. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    AND?

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ground is ready, I should be as well come this weekend.... Keep y'all posted

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    cant likes this.
  20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Found a small, medium and shooter and a dead head fork.
    A good day, but I will have many more days to put in to cover it completely. 6695.jpeg 20180331_120848.jpg