Stay Tined - Team 5 Thread

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by henson59, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man. Happy birthday little man.

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton Storm 279 grains
    NAP Spitfire DoubleCross 100 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

cantexian likes this.
  2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    cantexian likes this.
  3. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping to get a Friday night sit in but holy cow 90 degrees for a high they are talking! Hopefully the rain stays away and can get a morning hunt in on the weekend.

4. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!!

cantexian likes this.
  5. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    The extended forcast shows opening day with a high of 67 and cloudy. Obviously alot can change between now and then but I am pretty happy about that forecast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

wibowhntr likes this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will be 89 high 71 low for the opener Saturday. I will hunt the morning if I can. It is so hot in the south that early season movement is usually better in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

wibowhntr likes this.
  7. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the rain will hold off sat morning for me I will be doing a morning sit at the farm.

wibowhntr likes this.
  8. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am also planning on sitting in the morning on Saturday before it gets too hot. Possibly checking one of my cameras on my way back home. The good news is by next Friday the high is only supposed to be 60.

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    I am torn when it comes to morning sits during the early season. Part of me wants to be out hunting but another part of me knows that I am probably not going to see a lot because most of the deer are probably either already back in bed or I bumped them in the dark.

I will probably end up sitting opening morning and opening evening but I doubt I do it again until the 3rd week of Oct.

Excalibur likes this.
  10. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be out opening morning also, something I've always done in the past. I always looked at it as I dont get to hunt but a couple times a week so any time that can be spent in the stand should be spent in the stand or I maybe missing out on that monster. Just my personal thoughts, except through the cold months then I'm not getting out until at least 1130, lol.

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton Storm 279 grains
    NAP Spitfire DoubleCross 100 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

11. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Let me run this scenario by you guys. I live 4 hours from my primary spot. If I shoot a deer and the highs for the day are in the 60's - low 70's do you think the meat with keep if I wrap the deer in a tarp with ice? I would prefer to bring it back home to process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would get the hide off too if possible

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Get the hide off and guts out ASAP. Break it into quarters and put it in an ice chest. I freeze water in empty platic gallon milk jugs to make blocks of ice.

14. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be sitting at my water hole opening day so I hope it's like 90 drgrees.

wibowhntr likes this.
  15. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    I of course will field dress immediately as I always do. But I am not a fan of taking the hide off until I am ready to process. Also if I bring the deer back to Illinois I am actually going take it to a processor I have been wanting to try for a couple years now because I hear they make awesome hot dogs and andouille sausage. So I have to leave the deer in one piece or they won't take it.
    I think if I put ice blocks in the cavity after I field dress then put some more on the deer and wrap it in a tarp I should be ok. I guess it all depends on the temps that day.

16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Buy a synthetic mesh whole deer game bag. It will keep the flies of and allow more heat to escape. Ice in the body cavity is a good idea. If you can, do the milk jug thing the stay frozen longer than buying bags of ice.

17. henson59

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the milk jug thing is something I have done in the past. If it looks like it might be borderline and I can't get the deer back to IL I will just take it to an Indiana processor.
    Usually I cut my own deer up so I can avoid processing charges and get my own roasts, steaks and backstraps off the deer. I then take the scraps to a butcher who makes burger and summer sausage. It's nice because he accepts the scraps as long as they are in a sealed package of some kind and preferably frozen.

With opening day just over a week away the "after the shot" details can work themselves out. My main concern is getting all my gear cleaned, sorted, and put back in the totes this weekend so the scent waffers have some time to work their magic. I actually toyed with the idea of making my own scent crusher tote but the fact that the ozone breaks down elastic and rubber over time has deterred me from doing that. Hunting clothes aren't cheap and if that ozone cuts the life span of my clothes down by even one year that's one year sooner that I have to shell out big bucks to start replacing stuff.

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a few broadheads with my compound this morning to sure they were still on. I am having trouble getting the scope on the crossbow sighted in. I am going to take to the local proshop to see if they can help. It is htting above 8 inches right and I can't get the dial to turn any further. If they can't help, I will call PSE and see if they can send a new one. I didnthave this problem with the scope before the recalls. I had the first one dialed in in about 30 minutes.

Looks like I probably won't get out for the opener tomorrow. My baby was readmitted to NICU on Wednesday with elevated bilirubin levels. Hopefully he can come home later today or tomorrow. It is not dangerous but they are treating it as a precaution. My wife is sick of being in hospital. I haven't been up there much. Yesterday our older boys had a special event at school and today our kitchen floor is being redone. We had that scheduled before the baby came early.

Life has been hectic the last couple of months. I need some treestand therapy.

19. henson59

Dislikes Received:
  20. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, last weds my son decided to make his appearance 10 days early. Ive been playing it low key at home with he and my wife, and my daughter just made it back from PA today so I am very excited. Declan even checked out the food plots at 4 days old. FB_IMG_1505933715253.jpg FB_IMG_1505998565417.jpg 20170916_185319.jpg

wibowhntr and Excalibur like this.