Can Whitetail Count?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldguy54, Jul 21, 2017.

1. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every year I come across a few super spots that are just impossible to get to without being potentially busted. I have often wondered it two of us were to tramp into one such spot and then one of us tramp back out if the deer would be smart enough to see through the deception. Anybody out there with thoughts or experiences?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They would smell thru it.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wasted energy in my mind. Twice the noise, twice the scent, etc. You are basically doubling your chances of getting busted on entrance. Other deer don't know what spooked their buddies. It could have been a bobcat or coyote just as easy as a hunter. You have to break some eggs to make a cake. Sometimes you have to bump some deer to hunt. I don't ever let it bother me too much. If they are not sure what you are, they will sometimes slip back in within the hour to check things out.

mikido likes this.
  4. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    works for bear hunting at bait piles-----have done it numerous times, may be worth a try anyway

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would think it could work where people can hunt over bait as well, possibly.

6. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if they can count but I think they can spell. I always see them in NO HUNTING areas.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned, unless they actually see/smell you, they have no idea what caused the disturbance. Get on in there, alone.

8. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya but that's only because they start to associate someone coming and leaving with dropping food off.

I would just hunt the area and be quiet as possible.
    cut a trail and rake it before you go in.

CoveyMaster likes this.
  9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used to come home in the evenings and deer would be standing out in the pasture by the pond. About 500 yards from the driveway. You could sit in the truck and watch them. One evening I came in with the wind from them to me and my mule came up to the fence. I grabbed my bow out of the back and slipped out the passenger side and up to the mule. I got through the wire fence and with the mule between the deer and me. Quartering away the mule and me walked across the pasture, the deer never noticed the mule had 6 legs. Mostly they were watching the truck. At 30 yards I drew the bow and took my stance and let the mule walk on. There were 8 deer with the "deer in the headlights " look trying to figure where I popped up from. One doe never got over it.
    I have shot deer with a 30-06 and have more deer come through in 15 minutes so I do not count being busted as an end to a hunt.

10. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You need to analyze why you cant access the spots without getting busted, is it a bedding area?-skip the morning hunt go in the afternoon. Is it a field with out access through the woods?-the better you describe the circumstances the better we can advise.
    For its worth I also strongly believe there is an extent to how bad you bump the deer. If you stink and go in all loud and visible you may really really bump the deer, but if they just some extra rustling they might take off to heir on the safe side but forget (or not care) and meander on back later.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  11. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Just to clarify the one spot I'd really like to try this season is a narrow burn corridor between two larger burnt out blocks. The entire area is surrounded by dense lodgepole pine and balsam popular forest. The burnt area is full of deadfalls, debris and wetlands. Pain to walk through but I've got over 100 pictures of deer in this corridor this spring! Its about a 1.5 km hike in. MDGC0076.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  12. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Please see previous post

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  13. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess i should have added 'visually busted'

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I assumed, but I would give the same answer. Just because they see something out of the ordinary does not mean that you have been identified as a human being and every deer in the woods is spooked for the day. Don't give them too much credit.