Anyone every thought about blood tracking dogs?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Bradleyprejean87, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Bradleyprejean87

Bradleyprejean87 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No sir, on occasion if it's a long drive I might ask for a little to help cover fuel cost but other than that 99% of the time there is no charge, we love what we do and helping others is a huge bonus!

Shocker99 and S_Conley like this.
  2. S_Conley

S_Conley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have several folks who use and train blood trailing dogs here in NC. I think they are another tool to have in the tool box. But the handlers I know still stress the importance of good woodsman ship skills, learning all one can about trailing wounded animals.
    But as anything else now a days check your local and state laws.. A lot of places it's not a clearly defined subject.

Sean Conley,
    Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    95% of the state's allow tracking with a dog as long as you follow their state laws... like most allow it as long as the dog is on a lead and no weapons are present... of course it's great to place a perfect shot and have clean recoveries but let's face the truth so many ppl still lose their deer for whatever reason that happens... as long as state allows tracking I believe a dog is such a great tool because yes I can track a deer and it might take me 20, 30 mins or even an hour to find the deer or I can use my dog and find that deer in 5 to 10 mins and get out of the woods faster not disturbing the area much...

4. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, where I live in east tx some counties do not allow it. I think it's pretty dumb to not be able to recover your game with a dog, but what can ya do. I still plan on using mine eventually to help me find a deer. I'm colorblind so seeing blood sometimes is hard for me to do. I'll take the ticket from a game warden if it came down to it.

Bradleyprejean87 likes this.
  5. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    Which county are you hunting in because they have just made 10 more counties legal as long as the dog is on lead while tracking... I only track on lead anyway so that is a plus...

6. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:

Newton county mainly

7. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, yours is one of the only 10 counties that still has it against the law... So sad

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  8. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Lol tell me about it. I don't understand it really.

9. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    You would think as long as they are on a lead it isn't going to allow someone to use the dog to run deer during the season you know lol

10. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious about how people find out about you. Do you advertise or by word of mouth? Also how big an area do you cover? How far have you traveled to get to a trail? This is all very interesting.

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you hit the dog right, they should go down in site

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Bradleyprejean87

Dislikes Received:
    I was part of a group called United Blood Trackers of America! Before we were as popular it was 99% word of mouth but now there are FB groups that put ppl in need in contact with the closest tracker to them... I have already driven 5 hours at 7 o'clock at night to help someone find a gaint buck in Mississippi... It's a case by case situation and depends if I'm able to go or not... If I'm free I Travel anywhere to help someone you can make great life long friends and meet good ppl being a blood tracker! The deer i drove that far for was a 185 inch 9 pt a man had been hunting for years and we found him an hour after I arrived 1100 yards away from shot site and the trail was almost 48 hours old....