Hello from South Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by cdm369, Jul 18, 2017.

1. cdm369

cdm369 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, where the deer are the size of coon dogs :0). Well, at least in the hill country. Grew up bow hunting with my dad in Michigan - starting at the age of 12. I loved it! That all ended when I moved to Texas in my mid 20's and had no hunting property connections, a young wife and kids, and was not in a position to throw down thousands of dollars just to shoot some venison. Fast forward about 2 decades - I'm dusting off my old PSE Mach II and laughing at it in comparison to what's made today! Anyway, I'm jumping back into this thing - just ordered a new bow, have a place to hunt in Missouri (my uncle's where I gun hunt every year), but haven't the slightest clue or lead on where I might be able to hunt in south Texas. Any Texans on here that can help me out with some guidence?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum cdm. What kind of hunt are you looking for? I guess what I should ask is what all are you wanting to hunt and at what level? Where bouts are you located and how far are you willing to travel? PM me and we can chat more or we can keep it on the thread.
    Happy hunting
    Hoyt

cdm369 likes this.
  3. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahaha. Welcome back. Your story is similar to mine, but I'm in N. TX. I just got back to it last year. And bought a newer PSE Premonition HD to use instead of my PSE Carroll Intruder (circa. 1993). I was going the public land route until I happened on a small lease. I'm not sure where to point you in South TX other than looking for public land via the Texas Parks & Wildlife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdm369 likes this.
  4. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/

There's the link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife public hunting areas. I'm lucky because i live in east texas and there's 16.8k acres of archery only public land. I never see anyone else out there once rifle season starts and only a few during archery season.

cdm369 and Planopurist like this.
  5. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may see me! Just kidding. How's the hunting there? I was planning to hunt on some of the east Texas public lands because I really cannot afford these expensive leases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well the fact that it's 16.8k and archery only, I never see anyone else out there hunting it. All last season, i ran into 2 other guys but that was just in a parking area and they weren't hunting anywhere close to me. There are plenty of deer out there and last year i got this beast.

Deer.jpg

Planopurist and cdm369 like this.