Gerogia hunting questions

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by daniel72, Jul 15, 2017.

1. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My best friend has just inherited a house either near or in Atlanta. He has invited me and my girlfriend to move down there with him and his gf. We are planning a trip to go down and check the house and area out in a few weeks. Now my question is how's the hunting down there? I haven't checked into the details about the hunting season down there yet as I just got off the phone with him about it at 8:15pm. Is there good public land? Is it easy to find people to let you lease their land to hunt? What is there to hunt? We're all from west central Indiana and we live for hunting will it be worth our wild to pack up and move down there? Between the 4 of us we own right around 1,200 acres of land here where we're at but don't have a house or anything we all rent a small two bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the mossy oak channel on YouTube. There is a series called Seek One. It's all about hunting urban deer in Atlanta.

daniel72 likes this.
  3. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it hard to get permission tho? I know I'll have to change my address to the new one for a resident hunting license

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No idea on getting permission, I would think it's like anywhere else and take some work. I'm not from there nor have I hunted there. I was impressed with bucks the guys were hunting in the videos I was talking about in my last post and you should check it out. They talked alot in the video about trying to get permission, and seemed they struggled alot to find places to hunt.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sub/urban Atlanta hunting is top notch. The permission aspect can be hard though. A majority of the surrounding counties are bow only.

6. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would depend on where exactly in atlanta. There are some public land opportunities within a few hours drive again depending on where exactly the house is. Thats probably going to be your best bet vs private land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm working on getting the house address so that I can find out where it is located at. I hope it's not in the city city lol

8. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Florida but hunt in Ga religiously every year. My family lease out hunting land through a timber company that is really big in Georgia called Rayonier. We pay our yearly fee and abide by their rules and in return get to hunt! We do pretty well doing that.

Things to look out for is you definitely want to walk the land before you sign a lease. Make sure you are getting a good piece of property. Also look for how old the trees are once you find a good lease because good chances are the company will come in and select cut or clear cut the pine trees if they are pretty big, which can be good or bad for hunting. We hunt for turkey and deer at our lease.

https://www.rayonier.com/Businesses/Hunting-and-Recreation.aspx

http://www.nationalhuntingleases.com/

9. daniel72

daniel72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well we are going down to look at his new house next week. We are going to spend a week or two down their cleaning painting and just checking the city out. It's going to be a big change in pace going from living in a one bed room with our closest neighbors being 3 miles down the road and then going to a 3 story 6 bedroom house in a city. Does anyone know if you can shoot bows in the city limits in your own yard?

10. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best thing to do is check the actual city laws for that. I know Atlanta has several suburbs which might have different regulations than the city of Atlanta. First thing to do is find out if you're actually in the city or in a suburb.