Seems a little early this year

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Sota, May 16, 2017.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will have to check for certain but it seems like the does are pushing off last years fawns. Usually happens 7-10 days before the fawns are born. Seems early this year, doing the math I missed some chasing by waiting till October 31 to hunt.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep went down to the lower garage saw my alpha male little dog sitting 20 yards away from a yearling fawn both watching each other, the deer did not run away when I walked up, dumb fawn. Pushed off yearling. Fawns early this year.

3. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing fawns for the last few weeks already. It's been crazy. I told my wife in the end of March that I swore I just saw a spotted fawn while driving down a road. I turned around and it was gone from the field edge. but I'm pretty darn sure it was a fawn.

Also oddly enough I still seen bucks with antlers in April! Now many, but I've never seen them hold this long before. It also explains why my shed hunting has been dead.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Subtract 222 days from the day you see a newborn fawn that is the breeding date give or take a few days on either end. Highly unlikely a March fawn in Minnesota.

5. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Normally I'd agree with you, but I can think of at least a couple of times where I've seen spotted fawns in November while in the tree, and that's not supposed to happen either. I'm on my 30th season in the woods chasing deer, so it's definitely not a newby mistake. I told my wife how that couldn't have been, she said not everything follows a schedule to a T so why not a deer? and I guess she is right. 5 or 6 years ago when my stepson came with me bowhunting for the first time, it was barely a week into our season and the weather was pretty warm, but Caleb had seen my rattle antlers sitting in my tote and asked about them before we left for the afternoon stand. I told them they won't work in September like they would in November, but he asked me to bring them and show him how they work, so I did. Sure enough I cracked the horns showing him what you were supposed too do, and two dang bucks came crashing in... small and young bucks, but that wasn't supposed to happen as well. Funny thing about nature and wildlife, is they'll always throw you a curve ball every now and then too keep you guessing.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First confirmed fawn today, my wife saw it on the driveway when she came home for lunch, definitely early this year.

MissionOutdoors.Net likes this.