LANC on sony handycams

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by mottoman112, Mar 21, 2017.

1. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been hearing and seeing a lot about sony handycams having lanc capabilities? Don't have the money for a g30 etc. So I am very interested in the handycam idea. Anything is helpful!

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a cannon HFG30 off the cannon refurbished website.Its like brand new at 1/3 the cost....500. Check out the latest video I made with it called "Turkey Teaser"

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Any specific model you're looking at? Features vary between them, although in my experience most models under the G30 won't have any sort of LANC/wired remote capabilities.

4. mottoman112

Dislikes Received:
    Well not really. I just want one with the LANC but cant afford much. I am only 15. I was seeing that it seems the sony handycams have adapters for the LANC remotes.

5. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here little bro! You should be able to do something like this with your handycam....

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You'll want to check your specific model and see if it supports a LANC controller. Sony's do not use the 2.5mm port like Canon. They have their own proprietary port called the Multiport, which is basically a micro-USB port. Sony makes a wired remote that will plug into the Multiport that will control zoom and record. http://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras-tripods-remotes/rm-vpr1

It is also possible to use a traditional LANC controller that has the 2.5mm port on it with the use of a couple adapter cables. Some of these LANC controllers will also allow you to control focus, which for some reason Sony left off their controller. LANC's like the Varizoom VZ Stealth LX will allow you to do this. You will need these adapter cables:
    http://www.campbellcameras.com/Sony-Multi-Port-to-A-V-R-Adapter-Cable.html?sc=31&category=1638048
    http://www.campbellcameras.com/Adaptor_Cable_LANC_to_AV_R_SONY_and_Canon.html?sc=31&category=1638048

I have both. I prefer to use the Varizoom with the adapter cables because it's a little more robust and gives me the ability to control my focus. The Sony remote is fine, it's just kind cheaply made and might not hold up to the abuse our gear gets.

7. mottoman112

Dislikes Received:
    What model do you have?

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I film with a Sony PXW-X70 which is not a Handi-cam, it's in their professional camera lineup. The principle is the same however. You will just want to make sure the camera has the Multiport and it should work with either option I gave you.

Do you have a specific model of Handy-cam that you are interested in?

9. mottoman112

Dislikes Received:
    No. I think I'm just gonna go for a DSLR. If I was going to buy a camcorder, the canon G series are the only ones that impress me enough quality wise. And I cant afford those. So I'm just gonna get a DSLR and half to learn how to self film with the hardship. Have a freind that will sell me a t3i for 200 so

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. mottoman112

Dislikes Received:
  11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    If you go the DSLR route, learn your camera inside and out. Things happen fast in the woods, you will need to know your camera like the back of your hand. Do not expect good results by using auto focus and letting the camera make the decisions for you. You will want to really learn and understand the basics of photography and videography as it relates to your camera. Learn how Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO relate to each other and how you can use them to manipulate the image. Just some tips, I would recommend filming in 24p instead of 60p. This will allow you to get more light into the camera and will give a more film like look. If you film in 24p, then you should generally set your shutter speed to 48 or 50. Shutter speed should be double your frames per second. If it's less then you will get motion blur. I would recommend setting your ISO to auto, this is one area the camera will do fine at adjusting if you are managing shutter speed and the aperture. Aperture is sometimes hard to understand how it affects the image, but here's a basic descriptions. The smaller the Aperture number, the larger opening of the iris. This lets in the most light which will help while filming in low light. However, the wider the iris, the smaller the focal plane. That means you will struggle maintaining focus on moving subjects. The larger the Aperture number, the smaller the iris and less light is let in. Good news is that the focal plane is expanded and much more of the image stays in focus, bad news is it won't perform well in low light times.
    That's a very basic crash course, I would suggest you read up and hit YouTube and learn everything you can.

12. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: