Single vs multiple pin sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marshhunter1221, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What does everyone think
    Single pin or multiple and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    TheHardWoods913 and rick-florida like this.
  3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Still hunter and don't like moving parts.
    Five pin sight works for me.

rick-florida likes this.
  4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big fan of single pin sights. I keep it set at 25 and can shoot to 40 without moving it (I practice and I know where to aim). I have it dialed in so if I have time to move it I will. But if I don't have time I can take the shot. I like the sight window of the single pin much better than multiple pins.

metalman1249, cantexian and Josh/OH like this.
  5. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Single pin. The "dial adjusting" idea cracks me up.
    I've never touched my adjustment dial in the stand. Like Coop said, my bow shoots plenty flat enough. I won't shoot more than 35 yards. If it's on the backside of my range, or extremely close, I'll simply hold a touch high or low. Easy-peasy... no chance of accidentally using the wrong pin and a very generous sight window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian likes this.
  6. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been back and forth between a single pin setup and a two-pin floater several times in the past 6-7 years. For the 2016 hunting season, I shot a single up pin on a '16 CBE Tek Hybrid Pro set at 20 yards. Without touching the wheel, I killed deer at 7, 21, 26. 29 and 31 yards. If you spend some time with your bow/arrow setup and have it tuned properly, shooting out to 35 yards is not a big deal. Beyond that you should have time to make an adjustment or wait for the situation to develop. I am enjoying the less cluttered look of my scope and have no plans to change for 2017.

cantexian likes this.
  7. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a Spot Hogg Boss Hogg 3-pin last year...if you don't know about it, it's an adjustable sight with a 1, 3, or 5 pin option for the pin housing. I sight the three pins in at 20, 30 and 40. I can leave it in the home position and it's just a standard 3-pin sight. I use the middle pin as the adjustable so in the home position, the tape is set to 30 yards. If I have time to dial it in to an exact yardage, I can...27, 34, 48 yards...just use the middle pin for the exact yardage. Here's what I really like about it...if you anticipate a range and set your yardage but the target changes, if you calibrate your top and bottom pins, you can use them. For example, while on an elk hunt, the elk are moving through and you anticipate the shot to be 50 yards. You set your pin to 50, but the elk doesn't come on the exact path. No problem because I know that if my middle pin is set to 50, my top pin is 42 yards and my bottom pin is 57 yards. Once you figure out your ranges...you have a lot of options. I just figured out 40 and 50 but you could do more...35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and so on.

I hope that made sense.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have tried several different sight setups from a single fixed pin to a three pin slider. I always come back to a simple three fixed pin setup.

I set the top pin to 20. I set the bottom pin to whatever my max effective range is. and the middle pin splits the difference between the two.

I'm currently set at 20, 35, and 50 for the upcoming 3D season.

9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DD - makes perfect sense, I do the same thing but use a MBG Ascent 3 pin except my bottom pin floats and the top two do as you say. Lots of variety.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    DD/MO and TheHardWoods913 like this.
  10. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the more open sight picture the one pin offers. I also like the exact yardage settings my sight dial gives you especially for longer shots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

11. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love my single pin!!! When I get to my spot, I range everything out and then set my pin to split the differences. After that, I'll maybe move it if I need to..

12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like a single pin, I put it at 30 and know my hold under/over for 20 and 40 (only a couple inches). But I do like 3 pins, anything more than that is a lot to look at for me.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Black Gold Ambush Ascent single pin. I leave it set on 25 yards and practice so that I can kill out to 35 without moving it. The clearer sight picture is well worth. I used to shoot a 5-pin but it was unnecessary. I can see how multi-pins sights would have an advantage on a spot and stalk hunt out west. However, I think the typical treestand hunter would be better off with a single pin. I kept my 5-pin in case I do a western bow hunt but I will not be using it unless that happens.

Josh/OH likes this.
  14. IndianaBowHunter18

IndianaBowHunter18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a single pin sight because I think the multiple pins can get confusing when you are in that moment of pulling back on a deer. My single pin is good out to 30-35 yards which is about the farthest distance I would shoot at a deer with a bow anyways.

15. huntem steady

huntem steady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a 1 pin for a long time but it can cost time and move ment to change when hunt so I use a 5 pin to hunt with but if your target shooting then it would probly be better to use single for more precise shooting

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 5 pin CBE fixed for hunting. Don't have any issues with that many pins so why have to worry about having to hold over or under........

17. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I love both styles, while the multi pin sight allows for no turning of a dial a single pin has a clearer sight picture and is easier to settle a pin on the target not having to decide which pin to use.

18. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think we had this same discussion already, but I find your reasoning exactly backwards.

19. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What part of my reasoning is backward?

20. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Different strokes for different folks, but if you need 3-5 pins to take a 30-35 yard shot, it might be time for a bow upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian likes this.