DIY Iowa Bowhunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Marauder, Mar 16, 2017.

1. KRAZO

KRAZO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's all relative. Some feel it's pressured when there's 1 car in the lot while others might not feel the pressure until they have 3-4 people walk past them while their in a tree stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Josh/OH likes this.
  2. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    These are great tips guys! :tu:

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

3. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone know much about zone 9? How long it takes to draw a tag. Is there public land there to hunt?

4. tvbrewster

tvbrewster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think the first question you need to answer is.....Do you have enough points to draw the tag?

Without a tag you'll need to look at another state.

5. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I am researching and learning how it works at this point. Essentially this is the start of the planning. I am thinking about 4 years down the road I will be attempting to draw a tag. :tu:

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Put in for points and don't cash them for a tag until you secure at least one good piece of private ground. Then at that point look at public areas in a driving area around that piece of property to give you additional options.
    The thing that sets Iowa apart from a nonresident point or view is tag limitations, use that to your advantage.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    preachnhunt and Lester like this.
  7. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am going to plan on scouting down there the spring before I would put in for a tag. Then I can get familiar with the area and see what it's like.

8. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing that might be helpful would be to private message some of the guys that hunt down there. Guys might be more willing to give out some info to members they see as active instead of just posting the info for anyone to see.

boonerville and preachnhunt like this.
  9. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good idea, but I'm not sure who is from Iowa. Boonerville is the only one I know for sure. I'm also thinking about getting the Iowa Sportsman Atlas.

sent from my mini hand held phone

10. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This just planted a seed in me. Thanks preachnhunt!

11. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome Josh!

Josh/OH likes this.
  12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be more then happy to help you out when the time comes. If I'm still living in Iowa that is. I know of some decent public land in south east Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunn County likes this.
  13. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    That would be awesome! I would really appreciate it! I would love if some people could point me in the right direction but feel a little uncomfortable asking. I don't want to impose or step on someone's shoes. I'm very respectful of other hunters and their space.

sent from my mini hand held phone

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To me Public lands always first when it comes to out of state. Knocking on their doors you got a 98% chance of them saying NO. If big money isn't an issue. id book an outfitter, or those expensive leases.

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

If tags were over the counter, it wouldn't be one of the best states to tag a trophy buck. The very limited nonresident hunting and lack of a gun season during the rut is why we have more old bucks per acre of habitat than anywhere in the world. If you know what you are doing, you can pass on many P&Y class bucks in a single week of hunting. Often, in a single day. Whether that makes it worth the wait and money is up to the individual to decide. We have no restrictions on when or where deer can be fed, that is true. However, hunting anywhere near a feeder or bait of any kind will get you in a world of trouble. In fact, the regulations are pretty vague on the issue and a CO can argue that you are in violation if hunting on the same farm as feed. Any deer that is deemed to be coming from or going to feed is off limits. So, there is not much feeding of deer going on anywhere that I am aware of during hunting seasons.

Josh/OH likes this.
  16. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good zone. You can look up draw odds on the Iowa DNR website. There is a lot of great information there for nonresidents interested in hunting. Do your research, you have plenty of time. I am guessing that it takes three to four years for that zone.

17. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    From what I have read that is correct that it'll take 3-4 years. I'm guessing that area is similar to Southwest Wisconsin which needless to say is some of the best counties to hunt in Wisconsin in regards to big deer. Anyone who hunts in Wisconsin knows about Buffalo and Trempealeau counties. :tu:

fletch920 likes this.
  18. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go for it. I know some great public land in southern iowa. I hunt private land but I have hunted public land too and have seen some giants. One of the biggest deer I've ever seen was on public land, however in order to actually have a chance to harvest a mature buck you'll have to put in time. I've hunted other states and would choose iowa over all of them.

19. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Alright everyone, coming up in a month a buddy and myself are going to road trip it down to Iowa. Still in the planning stage. At this point, the goal is to find some land, scout, maybe find some sheds, meet some locals, and learn the areas. :tu:

Josh/OH likes this.
  20. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I have gotten on private ground when hunting out of state by going to the small town local bars and hanging out. Play some cards, pool, throw darts, just start conversation and you never know where it can lead. There are still a lot of landowners in Iowa that will let you hunt, the trick is finding the ones that don't let EVERYBODY hunt. Good luck!

Deerhunter 28 and Marauder like this.