New string issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shuuter, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently made some updates to my bow. I got a QUAD Apache drop rest and a Try Ball Beast release first. Right after I got them I was driving nails. A bit after I got a new string and cable from 60x and my bow shop put them on. Since the strings were added I've been hitting low, right on the line of the circle (morrell yellow jacket target). I adjusted my sight and it'll be fine for an arrow or 2 then low again. I even backed off the weight a bit and the same thing happened. I noticed that the cables are crossed above the cable rod instead of below. Could that be what's throwing off my shot?
    Thanks y'all!

2. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The string could be coming undone from under their serving. Is sounds crazy but I am getting another set put on my bow for the same reason, another way to see if it is a string issue is set the bow back to factory measure the ATA and check the timing. Shoot a couple of arrows and re check everything again. If it's different from the start. Get new strings

Good luck and keep us posted

Friends don't let friends hunt with guns

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did your shop put the strings and cables on correctly?

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you paper tune it after changing strings? There is a chance that the center shot is off or you are getting contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It could be several things. The lay out for the strings has to be the same as manufacturer design. So if you look up your manual on line and see if the string and cables are installed correctly. Also how snug is the center serving? You should be able to smack the string and the arrow should fall off. Also just use one arrow until you get it correct that way you know you are consistently shooting the same.

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did they tune it or just put the strings on and call it good. Ask them what all they did to get the bow back to spec after they put the strings on

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very good point on the center serving. That could explain the one flyer if the nock throat is tighter on that one.

8. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good call on the center serving Bow String Depot, I didn't notice it before but when I nock my arrows they snap on and don't fall off when I click the string. So back to the bowshop. I'll also ask if they tuned it and ask them to redo the cables so they cross under the cable rod instead of over. I looked at a bunch of pictures and every brand has them that way. I'll update you guys when I get it back. Thanks ya'll!

9. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, all wish I had answer for you guys. I went to the bow shop Saturday and they straightened my rest and adjusted it so it stood up straight, next they adjusted the cables so the crossed under the guide and paper tuned it and it was driving nails again. I was shooting it again tonight and they started dropping worse than before. So back to the bow shop.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did the shop who installed the strings set the cam timing, check ATA, peak weight, brace height? Anytime you put new strings on, all of these things should be checked and adjusted as needed. 60X is one of the best in the business and I seriously doubt its the strings themselves. If the shop didn't install them correctly (you said they changed where the cables cross to under the slide), then one has to wonder if the rest if right, etc.

11. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I went to another bow shop today and they had to do more work then I thought. Twist the string, adjust the cables, retime the arrow rest, retime the cams, redo the D-loop, redo the peep and more, basically gave it a complete workup. The other bow shop basically just threw the string and cables on there and called it good. If any of you are looking for a good bow shop in Maryland definitely make the drive to Macrotech in Baltimore. They're an hour away from where I am but it's 100% worth it!

Bow String Depot likes this.
  12. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad it worked out for you