G5 montec

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mississippi hoyt shooter, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Dutchd

Dutchd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great success with them. Shot 3 deer and 1coyote last fall with them. Coyote and 2 bucks went less than 30 yards. One went 100 yards with a weak blood trail due to a high shot. My fault wish I could blame something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

kennys40acres likes this.
  2. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No three blade broadhead sharpened on a flat stone will be as sharp as a replacement blade head - included angle is, well, more broad.

Killed a bull in 2014 with a G5 Montec, complete pass through at 43 yds. Watched the bull go down within 30 yds.

Because they are stainless, you have to work the edge a little more than carbon steel to get them sharp, its a metallurgy thing...

My go to's are Wac'em.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Realistically, I almost consider broadheads as disposable objects at this point. Don't get me wrong, I still buy replacement blades, even for my mechanical heads. But if you think about all the crap we spend money on when it comes to hunting that is truly a "one use" product... fuel, scents, thermacell refills, batteries for everything, scent spray, the list goes on... why would I skimp on the one thing that actually does the job? I feel every animal I shoot at, at least deserves the sharpest blades I can get and not sloppy seconds. Doesn't that animal deserve a $12 broadhead?

P&YChaser and Dutchd like this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely love the Montec G5`s. Nothing else to say, good luck choosing!!

6. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot G5/Prime bows, but this is plainly not a "fan boy" response concerning the Montec head. I tried them and found them wanting. They did not get as sharp as a NAP Hellrazor or Snuffer SS, plus I had one come apart when hitting the opposite shoulder of a deer. Went in as a 3-blade and came out as a 2-blade. As others have related, I would recommend a TT Shuttle-T, NAP Hellrazor, Magnus Stinger/Buzzcut over the Montec.

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used them last year. Shot a deer and had a good blood trail to follow.

However, when I got my new bow, I couldn't get them to tune and had to switch heads.

I'm not knocking the Montec. It's just one of those things.

8. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Batting 100% with the montec. I wont be changing anytime soon. And I was referred to this head by someone who has a lot of experience tracking bears in Canada. I have not shot a bear with them, but he said the bears shot with montecs were the easiest to find.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with not being able to get them sharp. But have no complaints as to flight.