G5 montec

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mississippi hoyt shooter, Mar 15, 2017.

1. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Need some input from people with experience with this head.

2. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    save you're money!

I've used t3 and montec and they just don't leave good blood trail at all.

Rangerdan likes this.
  3. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started using the Montec a couple yrs ago. I can say they fly the same as using my field points and with the one deer I have shot with them I don't remember how the blood trail was. The deer fell dead with in 15 yards of where I shot it so didn't even look for blood. Hopefully that trend keeps up. Personally any broadhead is just as good as any other as long as it doesn't change your arrow flight and it cuts. Shot placement is what matters.

kennys40acres likes this.
  4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used them for about 5 years they fly good but they are not as durable as advertised. I have had 2 break off in the deer. I did loose a deer last year that looked like a great hit, I had blood for over 600 yards most of the time it was easy to follow. I like the head and will continue to use it I have killed a lot of deer and an elk with them.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot them for a couple of years. I liked the way they flew and I felt like it was a good sized head for a good wound channel. The only downside I saw, and the reason I stopped shooting them, was that I could never get them as sharp as I wanted them to be. I tried several different methods and even bought the sharpeners from G5 that were supposed to be made especially for them, but they still weren't that sharp. That's why I gave up on them.

Blessings........Pastorjim

Jeepwillys likes this.
  6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the montec CS worked very well for me. prefer carbon steel for the sharp edge. shot one animal with it, florida buck, that went maybe ten yards. I use slicktrick standard now for the fourth cutting blade but wouldn't hesitate to use CS montec again.

7. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fly great. I killed my bull and a couple deer with them. Wound channel is small and very sparse blood trail. I switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

kgtech likes this.
  8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely hate the G5 Montec. I can name 15 other fixed blade heads I would screw on my arrow before using a Montec. The carbon steel are a little better but I'd leave them on the shelf. They're relatively dull out of the package, semi-inconsistent when it comes to flight performance. G5 makes other broadheads I'd shoot first. I've tracked or blood trailed more wounded animals from Montecs than almost all other fixed blade heads combined. My vote... is for Nitrons, slick tricks, ramcat, exodus, stingers, Mx3, strikers, shuttle t, trocar, drones, grim reapers, dirt nap, legends, ultimate steels, phat heads, etc... all before a Montec.

9. carbon-arch

carbon-arch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My experience mirrors what others have said. I couldn`t get them sharp enough to make me feel comfortable shooting an animal with one and they are not durable. My montecs and sharpener are going down the road....

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They were my first broadheads 4 years ago. Flight is awesome. Not super durable. I did shoot my first buck with them though and he only ran 40'yards. I've had better luck with the Montec CS. More durable and holds a better edge. The CS's resharpen real easy too.

11. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife has shot the Montec CS for 3 seasons now. I always sharpen them out of the package which helps but the design doesn't allow for easily achievable shave sharp edges. She shoots a 24.5" draw at 42lbs and has had a clean pass through on all her whitetail kills. The heads fly very well and are quiet for a fixed blade. The one thing that stands out to me in a bad way with this head is that if it's damaged there's no way to repair it. As a whole we have been satisfied with them but I think there's room for improvement...

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. kennys40acres

kennys40acres Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe all the negative comments...I love my G5 Montecs. I've used other fixed blades & these fly the best. I don't have any trouble sharpening on a flat stone & shoulder blades haven't stopped one yet (125 grains). I don't "fix" damaged blades because I wouldn't use a repair for hunting...They become practice tips or turkey/coyote tips. Blood trails? I haven't lost a deer with them yet...6 years...Even two that were gut shot(my fault...Not the razors)

13. kennys40acres

Dislikes Received:
    Almost forgot! They're great for close up steep angle shots through the thick muscle & ribs near the spine too...Not expandables!

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your not doing well with g5 heads. I'd try grim reaper broadheads. I'd recommend the whitetail special pro tip series. 2012 I've shot pass through a doe at 25yds and she ran 60yds in the corn and piled down. Good blood trail. During gun season I was bowhunting, I arrowd a nice 121 inch 10pt at 15 yds. Hit him in the soft shoulder blade and he ran 70yards with a good blood trail

kgtech likes this.
  15. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that's what i use after trying out g5. i like my prime bows but not their bh

16. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are definitely not as sharp or able to be made as sharp as others. The problem that so many have experienced is in the built-in angle that allows two surfaces to be honed at once. It produces a grind angle that cannot be made as sharp as a blade with a smaller grind angle. That's just the way it is, by design. I switched to Tricks after I got a sparse blood trail on a double lung hit with Montecs.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot them personally, but I know enough people who have had problems with blood trails and overall performance with them that I would opt for something else. As others have mentioned, the design of this type of broadhead is not conducive to getting a super sharp edge on the blade. With the vast options out there with sharper blades and better blade angles out of the package I'm not sure why you wouldn't go that route. Broadheads kill by cutting - the cleaner the cut the quicker the kill. That is 100% tied to the sharpness of the blades.

Not to pick only on G5, but this is the reason I only shot Hellrazors for a year. Same basic design, same basic blade sharpness issues. Yes, they kill animals just fine when you double lung them. But then again, a field point would do that too. I just feel like there are better options out there. If you like G5 I would pick up a Striker before a Montec.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  18. kennys40acres

Dislikes Received:
    An axe blade vs fillet knife...One sharp & thick...The other super sharp and thin..One intended for heavy repeated use & the other very good once or twice before needing attention. I don't budget for new broadheads every year & I enjoy reusing them. Super sharp heads are out there, but those blades don't last. I like Montecs for re-usability (& easy care). But like Justin & Hoytxhunter said...Shot placement beats everything else.

19. IndianaBowHunter18

IndianaBowHunter18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot 2 deer with the g5 montecs and they have not left a good blood trail at all. The one deer I shot didn't even leave a blood trail. So I would save your money and get a different broadhead.

20. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    awesome thing is that the company tested the heads and they hunt with the heads. my proshoppers knows those guys pretty well. Good people, very honest with their head performance.