Heavy clay soil

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by DVO, Mar 1, 2017.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Yep and not copy and paste from the QDMA forum posting manual.

5 years on this ground isn't a lifetime of experience. But I know multiple people in these soils from northern Wisconsin. And have read about countless others dealing with these soils. They don't all share exactly the same soil make-up. Some need more fertilizer than others. What we all have in turning wooded land into food plots in these soils is very low PH and it takes a lot of lime and time over years to get it to move.

My only point was he doesn't need a soil test in these soils to lime. But I love firing up any QDMA weenie I can.

2. MoBuckChaser

MoBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Legumes, don't do well with wet feet.

So don't expect good results from any of them.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

This should be posted in the beginning of the food plot/habitat section. Worded perfectly.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is yet another crop related misnomer. Sometimes it holds true and sometimes it doesn't, depends on the soil and circumstances. As an example I have a couple of plots that are like cereal bowls and all yellow clay subsoil. They stay pretty wet but they do dry out a bit on top. The clay has enough mineral and structure to it that the ladino clover I have on it does great and is the only thing I've been able to get to grow on it. Also don't discount the effects of diversity in mixes, sometimes something like Rye does just what's needed to make a clover work in that situation.

Then again, it could be a miserable failure, it's not like there's a lot of people with those conditions and a laid out plan that guarantees success. Wet plots can be a challenge in the best of conditions but if other vegetation grows then a decent food source can be found and grown for deer. Sometimes it just takes trial and error.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Why do I get so much of the error part?

6. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your continuing to bash myself as well as an organization simply because you have a different 'philosophy' not only shows your ignorance in soil science, but it also sheds light on how ignorant you are as a person overall.

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know to be honest but I can tell you whatever you want to hear.
    Options:
    A. It's because of your adventurous spirit, you're a true trail breaker and so you probly are going to experience more challenges than the average peeon.
    B. You're an idiot.

I can go either way you like, the ball is in your court. :lol:

8. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Do I get to choose or should I pick the option that my wife would take?

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    It's your choice, that's why I listed the options. If your wife had any consideration I would have just posted "B" and been done with it. :lol: :lol:

10. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

TRUE story!!!!!!!

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

No its not a philosophy. I don't like liars. I don't like money hungry greed. I don't like the fraud that is corporate QDMA.
    I know more about QDMA than you think.

I have no problem with QDM. Its the A that is the problem.

You keep throwing the word out ignorant and all I see is a Todd Graff, QDMA, BOB seed ball washer.

12. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    What?

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a great deal of respect for you Covey but I am always gonna lead out with get a soil sample. I used to be one of those guys that just guessed at it. I did ok but after getting soil samples and trying to adjust the soil appropriately things got a lot better. I definitely understand that people don't want mess with such details but in the long run knowing is better than guessing. Definitely experience trumps all but experience leads to knowing. :tu:

14. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    A good soil test is around $18. It could save a guy from wasting money on expensive fertilizer he doesn't need. A good soil test can show you what micro's you may need to take your average food plot to a great food plot with just a few small things added. A good soil test can let you know where your PH stands and how to address it if is to low, or to high. Balancing your PH can keep your expensive fertilizer from being tied up in the soil, so your plants can utilize it better.

Running without a soil test is like throwing hundred dollar bills out the window. But some guys have plenty of money, so they can be stupid and it don't matter.....

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Well, like I said nothing wrong with getting a soil test and working off of confirmation. It's just when someone opens a post with a statement of fact that they don't want to be told to do soil tests then that might warrant laying off of it. He asked a simple enough question, I don't see why there was a need to push the obvious. I'd assume if he wants to soil test he will.

Of course this part of the discussion is a derivative that evolved from the other prior posts in the thread. I didn't intend for my point to be a focal point. I was just kind of agreeing with BJE80. Though I don't really get the QDMA hate, my intent was to point out I thought he made some good points.

As far as the question "What" is concerned...I'd echo that question.

Back on topic....
    Anyone else have any suggestions for cold wet northern clay soils crops? Suggestions might be more constructive here than names and petty back and forth.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't disagree except when someone opens a thread that they don't want to hear they need a soil test then it might be more helpful to address the question rather than try to tell them what they obviously don't care to hear anyway. If they want a soil test then they'll soil test. It really has nothing to do with his core question...what can grow on cold wetish northern clay, all things being equal.
    There's really nothing wrong with people admitting they don't know. Saying "get a soil test" in spite of being told not to say it just to be saying something isn't helpful. Ability to adjust his PH and fertility to grow cotton or sunflowers really isn't going to help much. He needs an idea of what has potential to work and then he can worry about soil amendments.

17. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Too Funny! LOL

18. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    You're a dandy.
    Do you ever have anything pertinent and constructive to add or was the previous claim that you're a fat troll actually justifiable?

19. MoBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    I have plenty to say, I deal with farmers and food plotters daily. Many have no idea what they are doing when it comes to growing anything. When the first post says I don't want to hear I need a soil test, just tells me another guy has a food plot failure coming to him. And if anyone makes a recommendation on what to plant not knowing what type of clay or soil it is, and what a soil test says......is just another fool adding to the guys demise.....I see it daily, so I just have to laugh.

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Let's try to keep the topic focused. Some really good insight in here mixed in with a heavy dose of

[​IMG]