Losing arrows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by luke.livingston, Dec 28, 2016.

1. luke.livingston

luke.livingston Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What size groups are you talking at 40? Makes no sense that from 40-50 you start completely missing the target. Sure the group will open up a little but that's kind of ridiculous to lose that many arrows and not have a major issue somewhere either with your form or set up. A rule of thumb to go off for good efficient groups is add 1" to your group for every 10 yards. So 1" group at 10 then 2" at 20 and so on. Also good rule of thumb is practice at double your hunting distance. So if your only comfortable at 40 in practice 20 on the hunt should probably be your max. I kind of have to reset every spring because I don't shoot much January to march. I start at 10 yards and just get the feel back. Then go to 20. Once I get my 10 yard groups back to 1 and my 20 yards groups sub 3" I add in 30. Then once my 20 yard group is 2" constantly and my 30 is sub 4 I add in 40. This is a good stepping stone to assure that your form is good and you won't lose arrows.

Not sure where you are at but your season is more than likely coming to a close. Find a good pro shop and get someone to go over your bow and watch you shoot. Get your mechanics nailed down and make sure your arrows are spined properly and there is no fletch contact. Good luck with it. I had a heck of a time when I first stepped out past 30 yards. But with patience and practice you'll get it figured out.

3. luke.livingston

luke.livingston Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I live in Oklahoma and our season is coming to an end

4. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 arrows that I lost and have never found. In some taller grass. Metal detector didn't even pick them up. Aluminum shafts too. Built a 8' x 6' backstop to put my targets on. Used weight room mats over 3/4" plywood. Field points mark the rubber and bounce back in colder weather. Warmer the points penetrate. Using a crossbow so haven't tried bh yet. Hay bales didn't even slow the arrows up, that's when I lost them.

5. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes you have to man up.

6. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to find a indoor range that goes out to 50 ours by me does its there back wall that's 30ft high. But if your groups are tight and consistent at 40 you shouldn't have a problem at 50 seems to me something is off what bow are you shooting , rest what arrows are they the correct spine is your bow paper tuned and French tuned to a t ? What style release are you using there's so many factors this could be I would stay at 40 till you get really good then start attempting 50 . What sight are you using is it a fixed pin or single pin movable ? When I start shooting for the day I start at 50 or 60 then work my way down to 20 so I have better strength and accuracy at longer distances before I start getting tired or fatigued and it's harder to hold at a longer distance. But many things could cause this from not having a properly tuned bow or your realising wrong or something I'd go back through the bow retune it and make sure it's all in spec . The only way I lose arrows is my damn vaps keep blowing threw any target I throw at them lol so now I'm using pool mats that are 4 inches thick as a back stop .

7. Bowman_08

Bowman_08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try getting a bigger target so if you do hit low or high you won't loose your arrows

8. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you dont need to shoot that far. Most deer and other big game will be at 25yds and under. From my hunting experience. Most of my shots on deer are 15yds. My furthest shot is 27yds.

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    try walking your shots back from 40 yards and adjust your 50 yard pin as you move back. the couple extra yards change each time should not put you off the target. if it does, IMO your target is too small or you're exceeding your ability. Lastly, at longer distances shoot one arrow and retrieve it. saves fooling your self by following up a bad shot with a couple good ones and think you're doing good.

10. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get your form down to a consistent repeatable technique then tune your bow to that. This should be step number 1 before sighting in. Once that is taken care you can worry about extending your yardage. It is fun but even once things are dialed in, one tiny mistake can equal a total miss at further distances in archery. But as said before, i like to be able to hold a group at double what I'm willing to shoot an animal at. So if I can hold a group at 100 max my hunting max would be 50.

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Elevate your target a bit and get about 4 to 6 hay bales to put behind your target at longer distances.

12. outdoorlyf

outdoorlyf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been using lighted nocks for few months and it helped me alot especially during nigh time hunting

13. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im gonna have to disagree with you on this thought process. I don't practice with shots less than 40. I usually set the target at 60 and start there. When you practice at longer distances you're gonna expose errors in form and your equipment. It also builds your confidence for the short yardage shots when game is standing right in front of you. As for losing your arrows a little more info would help. Are your arrows consistently favoring one side of the target the further out you get? Are you using a multipin sight or a single pin? Could be a few things that are going on.