Scott Exxus - How to use it

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Eddy G, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of info out there on how to adjust it and how it works but I can't find anything on just simple use.

How do you get it to clip on the D-loop? Looks to me like once you do get it to clip on that it sits sideways and twists the d-loop if you hold it the way I see it held in videos.

Obviously I have never had a hand held release before....Until very recently I hadn't held a bow in almost 30 years. The Scott release I have from then was state of the art at the time. It looks like I made it myself in the garage.

Anyway, I got this one for a great price in the classifieds and would like to give it a try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Eddy. Once you get the release on the string push in the button on the back until it clicks. That should lock the release on the string. The trigger should be oriented towards towards your face if held parallel to the ground. The release should be held between the second and third knuckles and the hand held straight. The head of the release should between the index finger and middle finger. It should form a V. I rest that V on my jawline and the base of the V is located at the back of my jaw. You are indeed correct in that the release will be turned and will cause a twist in the loop. I'll try to post a picture later on tonight if I can get a decent one.

Does that help?

If you have any questions please let me know. Do you have the Exxus or Exxus Core?

3. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
  4. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    That video is a good example of how to anchor. Notice how the release is slightly turned and hand is flat against the face. If your dloop is short this may be hard. It doesn't have to be very long though. The torque you introduce should be consistent when you continue shooting. Also that would be the reason you might need to make some adjustments as well.

5. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, weird pc trouble? Typing is wack

6. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guy's, I'm not sure what was going on with my PC's (at work or at home) but I wasn't able to type right for a while.
    Seems like its all okay now.

Anyway, I finally got to spend some time with my bow and the new release.
    I went back to the old Scott wrist strap for a few shots and got the bow sighted in at 20 and 30 yards pretty well.

Then after a few dozen arrows I switched back to the Exxus and instantly improved my groups...Not to say they all hit dead nuts center BUT they did seem to stay much tighter together. I was really surprised at what a difference it made. I was still more comfortable with the wrist strap and could pull the bow better but there was no question the arrows where more on target and tighter with the hand held exxus.
    Adjustment seems to be key.....I played with it a bit and still need to dial it in some more but I'm definitely building some confidence with it.

I'm also trying to get a more consistent anchor point....So far I've been placing the V between my ring finger and middle finger tight to the back of the jaw bone....I find if I have to move my thumb to much it makes my hole hand twitch....So I'm trying to adjust the thumb button a little at a time to get it just right. Even with the v to the bone the angle can be a little different each time so I'm trying to come up with a way to be more consistent on angle.

Yes, the video was absolutely helpful. I actually found another on YouTube the day I originally posted this....

I appreciate this help very much, thanks again everyone.

7. copperhead

Dislikes Received:

Did you mean index finger and middle finger not ring finger and middle finger?

8. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, yes I did.....haha....I had to look for a second.....the V between my "Index finger" and middle finger.....My ring finger would just be silly....although my wife does wear a ring on that (and just about every other) finger.
    Good catch, thanks

copperhead likes this.
  9. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once you get used to the Exxus and decide a hand held is for you......try a Stan SX3. I shot the Exxus for nearly a year and traded both in just a week's time when I got my hands on a Stan. It used to bug me that the Stan shooters were so funky about their releases.......until I owned one.

Tags: