Thumb release form

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hammerin Hank, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my Hot Shot Vapor in the mail today so I am scouring the internet to find out as much as I can. Can't go outside and try it though...tornados and hail.

Anyways, stumbled across a post on AT right now (thread is called thumb release question) that a guy used a picture of Justin Zarr to use as an example for thumb release form...and they are critiquing every little thing, lol..."no you gotta do it this way"

Sorry Justin just had to give you a heads up! I would say the sweet beard compensates any error in form.:biggrin:

A lot of people say to shoot at a blank bale for weeks/months. Not sure that I could do this for that long, and I guess I am wondering how it helps due to the fact you are not receiving any feedback when you don't have a point of reference.

Also, is how deep you grip the release a matter of personal preference? I have big palms and short fingers (and no I do not smell like cabbage and I'm not a carny)

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should be gripping your release after your second knuckles, so that the back of your hand and your fingers between your first and second knuckles are flat. And with any new release that you really want to shoot properly, you should shoot blank bails until you can consistently execute your shot every time and get the same feel. Your trigger should be set that there is no tigger travel when pulling the trigger. This allows you to rest your thumb on the trigger and be set off due to "pulling" through the shot (contracting your shoulder muscles making your release arm pull through) and getting an unanticipated shot. This can be done with any style of release. Look up john dudley on youtube, he has a bunch of great videos on how to use releases

3. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got a chance to shoot it tonight. I have yet to change my peep height. When I come to full draw and anchor, the peep is quite a bit low. So I have to tilt my head down to get the peep to line up with sight housing. My nose just touches the string when I settle my head down into place. If I keep my head up straight, and move my peep sight up, I don't see any way that I could get my nose to touch. BTW, I'm shooting a 30" ata bow, so this may be playing a factor I'm thinking?

Any suggestions?

4. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your draw length? 30" ata could put too much of a string angle on it to get the right anchoring position

5. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I measure out at 29.5 but for some reason I've always been set up for 29" and have never had an issue anchoring with the index release. I ordered a set of 29.5" mods and hopefully that will do the trick. What made me realize this was I had my daughter take pictures of my anchoring point while at full draw. Just didn't look right. Probably would not have figured it out had I not done this.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully those mods help. Getting up around 30 the string angle gets to be pretty steep. If you get a chance upload a pic of your anchor position

7. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Put in the 29.5" mods tonight. Helped a little, but still not gonna touch unless I turn into pinnochio. Not sure why the pics turned wrong way. These pics taken after mod install.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the V that is formed by your index finger and middle finger. I put the V along my jaw line and and the back of the V settles at the back of my jaw. You could probably go a little longer on draw length but your nose does not have to touch as long as you can be consistent with your anchor. Obvious I know but if you are comfortable with what you got no need for it to touch.

kgtech likes this.
  9. ppkaprince98

ppkaprince98 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree^^^. You look like a big dude, so with a short bow your nose wont touch with that angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the comments. The thumb release was just not for me. Even tho I am 6' tall and have an even longer wingspan, I have midget hands. I am not sure what normal finger length is, but...my wife who is 3" shorter than me has 3.5 inch middle finger from 1st crease to tip. Mine are less than 3". I still have my dignity, barely. After having to search for my release about 4 times because it got sent for a ride I sold it. The cheap strap that goes around your wrist broke after the first time. If I thought about hanging on and draw nice and slow every time I drew I was fine, but if I forgot, it would get away from me. My back wall is pretty solid and if I drew too fast w/ out concentrating on holding on it would go as soon as I hit the wall. Not what you want to be thinking about when drawing on an animal so I'll stick to the wrist strap. I did like the feel of it though, so I don't blame it on the company I think it is a good product.