Cable or Limb Driven Arrow Rest

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TheHardWoods913, Feb 23, 2017.

1. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just looking for some input on arrow rests....the pros & cons as well as the experiences/preferences of cable driven and limb driven arrow rests? I am considering the possible switch from a QAD HDX Unltra Rest to a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro Limb Driven rest. Do I just stick with my QAD or pony up the cash and go with something completely new to me? Any insight and pics are appreciated!

2. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my QAD, it has never failed me

Friends don't let friends hunt with guns

3. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro has five seasons of trouble free use on it. All my bows now wear one, no issues with any of them.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bow String Depot likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both a QAD and TT Smackdown. I like the TT...I LOVE the QAD. The TT seems to snag a lot more when I'm going through brush or CRP. I might be a tad more accurate with the TT at very long distances but that could be the difference in bows also. Either way the difference in performance is minimal...the ease in use of the QAD is what I like. I also prefer the true full containment of the QAD vs. the TT.

I already own a new QAD to replace the TT; but I haven't made the swap yet. Likely this spring when I can shoot long distance outside again.

I've had the TT for 6 seasons; the QAD for 4. No mechanical issues yet with either. And I shoot a lot.

6. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input fellas, looks like I'm going to stick to my QAD for now until I find out some more info on the Hamskea or until it intrigues me enough to just pull the trigger and make the switch to something new.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just order the Hamskea and is due in tomorrow. I have been shooting a QAD for 4 or 5 years, but it is starting to act up and noticed it is loud. Been wanting to try a limb driven rest and have seen any bad reviews on the Hamskea. I will let you know how it sets up and shoots once I get it.

8. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh sweet bro, thanks a lot!

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A vote for limb driven for me! Simple design, easy to tune, less junk in your cables

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using QAD's since 2012 I think. I did try a couple Trophy Taker limb driven rests in that time. I think since I am used to QAD's I just prefer cable driven. Really we can all say what we like best, but both styles work. It's really personal preference in my opinion.

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got the rest in this week and its built way stronger than the QAD. There is zero movement or slop in this rest. I just took my measurements from old rest and installed the new with the same, just to get it close. It was easy setup, with reading directions and install, took less then 10 minutes. I shot it a few times and I was very close to being dead on, I will have to make a couple adjustments. There was a noticeable difference in sound, it was much quieter. The big difference was the QAD mounts much closer to the shelf, were the Hamskea was about 1/2" from shelf. I have a Halon 6 with 3" vanes, and between the rest and vanes is only about 3/4". Its close but doesn't make contact or effect the shot. If I had a shorter brace height, I would need shorter vanes. Nick if you have cash you should definitely give this rest a try, I should have got it a long time ago. You wont be disappointed!

12. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot Ripcord Code Reds for several years and they never gave me a bit of trouble. However a buddy bought a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro and kept raving about it so I decided to give one a try. About the time I was looking, I found a new Trophy Taker XFC, which is pretty much identical to a Smackdown but down cable driven instead of limb driven, on the AT classifieds at a very good price. So I opted for the XFC and have been shooting them since last summer. Super easy setup, very consistent and accurate.....plus quiet. I never really noticed my RC being noisy until I shot the XFC. Now I have one on both my Prime Rivals and found a spare at a great price at a shop closing down.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting Limbdriver rests for about 10 years now and have never had a failure, or any hiccup of any kind. They're all aluminum, no plastic junk, and I challenge anyone to setup up a cable driven rest as quickly and easily as you can a Limbdriver. I shot changed and never looked back.

14. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started with a QAD and liked it, but got a bad one that got sent back. Went to the TT XFC limb driven that Alaska@Heart is using and I liked it. I seemed to hit the cable going down to the limb a lot but probably just me and my habits of how I handle a bow. The only thing I don't care for on the limb driven is the arm not staying up on a let down and not being able to half cock it before a shot. Don't like the arrow flopping around while I move the bow. A pad with arms on the shelf help but I don't like sticking anything on the bow.

I moved to a Bowfinger Medusa Max and like it a lot. Kinda like a beefed up QAD, dead silent and super easy to time. Just put the cord in your down cable 3" below the rest and set the timing at the rest. I put it on my draw board and set the arm to come up completely when I want it to without having to draw and put it back on the press over and over.

They're all pretty good just little personal preferences.

15. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh good to hear bro, thanks for the insight! Did you set it up to your top or bottom limb? Is it very heavy/bulky compared to a QAD?

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom limb and the cord is very minimal and don't feel like it would get snagged on anything. Yes definitely a little more weight and bulk, but I like the look of it better. Just looking at it you can tell its stronger. The big difference with weight look like the spindle that goes thru the bearings is twice as big as QAD with better bearings. I tryed to move the spindle and cant. On the QAD, It had movement.

17. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, if and when you take any pics of it and your set up I'd love to take a look! I set up my QAD as of now after putting new threads on my No Cam, but my peaking interest of this rest is still enough to possibly make the switch.

18. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like both ive used a hdx for over 6 years now and have one on my halon 32 and I have a limb driver pro v on my carbon defiant both work awesome and flawlessly they have pros and cons I wouldn't put one on my mathews cause the arrow lays on the shelf I did with the hoyt cause the silent shelf pad. I love how the qad stays up and stays cocked even when let down the limb driver when let down the arrow wants to go all over the place in the housing if let down to fast both have pros and cons but I still like both. Qad hdx is the best imo

19. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easy to set up a cable driven, just tie the string on like you do a string loop. First set snug and allow it to slide as you draw your bow. Rest string will stop at the point where the rest is fully "cocked". Serve the top like you would a peep and you're done.

I don't know that setting an arrow rest up fast or slow is relavent...