How screwed am I...?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by BACKSTRAPASSASSIN, Feb 26, 2017.

1. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a camera for months...I've exhausted every resource possible and have seen every YouTube video made regarding cameras....the whole debate was between a dslr and a dedicated camcorder like a g20 or g30....I've pulled the trigger on a canon t5i dslr with the 18-135mm stm lens...I know it's not the best for self filming in the woods but I decided on this because with 2 kids I want to be able to take amazing pictures of our family in day to day life and events but also be able to play...am I crazy...did I make a mistake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about how screwed you may or may not be, that's between you & your spouse ;) I use a simple Sony HD handycam on a flexible tripod. Simple, easy to use & a pretty awesome video for an amateur. To each their own I say! Good luck & let's see some practice footage!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the T5i doesn't have the dual pixel AF that the newer rebel and xxD lines have, but it will serve you well for double duty as you stated. Your biggest challenge for self filming with any DSLR is the controls and AF. The latter of which will be a little challenging for your model, but doable as long as you understand it will not be as foolproof as it would be with a dedicated video setup like the G series you were looking at.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It can be done, but it'll be tough. I do all my filming with a 70D and a Sony a6300. The biggest thing will be to use it as much as possible, so you are familiar with it's capabilities and limitations. Being able to adjust settings on the fly can be the difference between getting the shot or not.

Most guys think, "I love hunting so lets get a camera." The ones who succeed have the same level of commitment and enthusiasm for learning about filming & storytelling as the do for hunting.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely did not screw yourself. However you do have some work ahead of you. Mainly spending some time with the camera and getting used to it will make things easier. Once you learn how to use it and all its features you will be fine. Camcorders area little easier but with a little time you will fine. Looking forward to seeing and hearing how things go!! Good luck.

6. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys...appreciate the input...I've had the camera since Monday and have messed around more with stills than video....once my mic comes in I'll play with some video...so far I'm very happy with my purchase....I'm already wanting some other lenses among other goodies to go with it....hopefully the video will be as pleasing as the pictures....I'm sure I'll have questions along the way for some of you pros to answer!

7. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    All ready to go....just need a good tripod before Turkey opener
    [​IMG]

8. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have that exact same setup and it does a fine job!