Great lakes states, might want to make a call.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Germ, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trump slashes Great Lakes funding by 97 percent in early budget plan | MLive.com

Trump slashes Great Lakes funding by 97 percent in early budget plan

[FONT=&amp]"When Donald Trump becomes president, he assures me he'll do all he can do to make the Great Lakes great again," said Budzik, past Ohio Division of Wildlife chief, reading prepared remarks approved by the Trump campaign."

[/FONT]
    Not sure this is how one makes America/Great Lakes Great Again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who needs clean water anyway? Its not like 30 million people rely on the great lakes for drinking water or anything.

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trump has to deliver on his promises and I believe Trump will. He needs to make doing business in America cheap again or cheaper. Two ways to do this quickly, cut wages or regulations. Trump has made his choice to get those folks back to work. At what cost, I don't know.

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    how many jobs will be created now that funding for the great lakes have been gutted?

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps the Great Lake states could form a compact and each pay for ongoing programs.

7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who knows, I don't. I actually think it's going to have a reserved for jobs in the great lakes. If it does happen and the lakes become more polluted, tourism will go down. I also think home values will go down on the lakes, which means less tax rev collected. Less funding for other state projects. I am 100% against this, but I understand why Trump is trying to make this move.

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Perhaps Trump could keep his word?

"When Donald Trump becomes president, he assures me he'll do all he can do to make the Great Lakes great again," said Budzik, past Ohio Division of Wildlife chief, reading prepared remarks approved by the Trump campaign."

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Let me ask when you don't get your way do you pout or change your tactics and try again? Have you looked at the national debt? There must be painful cuts made accost the board to correct a problem that has long been ignored.

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, I just keep my word, like a man. I don't make excuses for others when they don't.

The % of GLRI compared to the federal budget is less than 1%. To really go after the budget deficit Defense will need to be cut, but we are going to raise that to the tune of 54 billion.

11. kurtzgreg1561

kurtzgreg1561 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He wants us to resort to lowering or eliminating EPA regulations so we can compete with these ridiculous pollution spewing countries like China and India. Buy yourself a good quality gas mask and hoard clean drinking water cause were all gonna need it. These corporations will now have Carte blanch to once again freely polute our air and water so they can make even more profits. It's gonna get worse with Trump at the helm were stepping backwards to "make America toxic again"

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    $300 million is the cost and I opposed the last two cut attempts by Obama of 50 million. Congress has shut it down the last two years.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is an example of what is wrong with government. Once a program like this gets created, people expect the money to just keep flowing. Don't worry about where the money is going to come from, that is somebody else's problem.

14. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes putting money towards cleaning up one of our greatest resources is a problem. It's only 21% of the world's freshwater. Let's throw fifty at it and walk away. If you feel that way, Wisconsin has benefited from GLRI, care to give it back?

What's funny is Trump's lemmings are so invested it him, that can't even speak up when he's dead wrong.

15. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not talking about whether the program is worth while or not. Just stating the simple fact of how screwed up our government is. this is just one program, heck only 300 million a year, pocket change. Problem is there are programs like this all over getting their little piece of pocket change and when you add it all up, the pockets are not big enough to pay for them all and that is how we get into the financial situation we are in as a country.

and if you want to talk about being a Lemming, just look in the mirror. I never stated whether I think we should or should not be funding this program. but your blind hatred of trump makes it so you can't even attempt to discuss without turning to name calling. Our government spending is FUBAR, and we will never fix that if we don't look and change things.

Somebody moved your cheese.

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never said you were a lemming, I said he has lemmings that will not speak up. Blind hatred, LOL Funny you point out the guy lied, again and now you're a hater? I guess to his lemmings he does not have to keep his word, boy is that nice.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here I am a hater because I want to hold trump to his word? I guess the support is gone now that he has your vote, and let's not forget it was Penn, Michigan, and Wisconsin that help him get elected.

I am just asking he keeps his word, cutting something 97% is not being supportive. We are not talking about any other program but this one, do you support Trump on this one Remmett70?

FYI I support cutting money to the United Nations climate change programs and Paris Accords

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  18. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Yes hatred. How can you say he lied, when is budget hasn't even been released yet. Will this spending actually be cut, you don't know, you just follow somebody elses opinion, just like the lemmings you mention.

Everybody wants their funding, whether it is this GLRI, or if it is organizations in California or Alabama or any of the other states and regions that are currently getting a slice of the pie. Well the pie isn't big enough. they are allotted the spending of the 300,000,000 a year but guess what, they don't have a source for that money. Something has to change and that is what Trump was elected to do. Change how government operates. And he can't do that without making changes. We can't fund everything government has allocated. Is there another funding package somewhere that is similar to the GLRI where consolidating them together would result in improved efficiency, allowing both to get their funding for a combine savings? Could he want to move this funding out of EPA oversight? In which case the funding would technically have to be stopped in order to create the funding under a different group.

There are countless different options and going off the deep end without even close to enough information to base an informed opinion on doesn't help anything.

19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have a good weekend and that's what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stop drinking the polluted kool aid for a minute...
    Nothing has happened yet. Its a wake up call. I have seen the green carpet of algae covering erie over the last few years get worse and worse. What was I getting for all that money?

In health care we are constantly being forced to do more with less not to mention "pay for performance". Just throwing money at the problem isn't enough there has to be some results. Its our money, not the governments!