Kansas Deer Hunting: All It’s Cracked Up to Be?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most times public land in Kansas sucks,like really bad.But then again if you scout smart and hunt smart you can find big deer on public land.

I think most people that come to Kansas don't quite realize that most of the giants getting shot are shot on very highly managed land that is obviously private,then that's only most,my uncle killed 174 inch 8 point last September,on public land,good luck getting him to tell you here though.

Sounds like the author is a little annoyed that Kansas wasn't everything it's cracked up to be on tv.

2. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The author has a point. Going there in person than what you hear is different. Same happen to my experience. But any public land, its always pressured.I once thought that since WI has the most p&y entries.The public lands has to have em. All i got on trail cam and the deer I encounter is a yearling buck. If u think about the area like WI for example the area that's private owned around it is hill country mixed with farm country and the marsh that's on the bottom of the flats which is public land. That's one big disadvantage. 2 Its a rifle state any deer thats at 300yds. More deer harvest with rifles, less deer compared to shotgun states

3. Xoutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    What's so wrong on what non residents shoot. A 120 a lesser trophy. If u encounter a buck that's 4 yrs old that's in the high 120s that's a 5x5 typical 10pt. Dude that's a shooter buck. Any public lands that has a nice rack 8pt+ 2 yr old is a shooter and a trophy. What ur talking is going for more than a trophy.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ case closed. Drain circle.

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you ever read what you type before you hit Post Quick Reply?

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had a hard time finding mature deer in Kansas on public land... guess I'm just real lucky :confused:

7. ybohunt

Dislikes Received:
    Or just a better hunter than the author

8. Xoutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    nobodys perfect. One guy will tell you that its so easy to kill a big deer on public land out of state. those crowd are full of it. they too also endure failure and success just like everybody.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:

Nah, probably not. Probably lots of factors, but the one thing I do know... if I weren't seeing mature deer, I'm either not doing something right or I'm in the wrong spot.

I'm certainly not blaming it on the pressure or blaming the state for offering too many tags... There is a reason, that in every single state NR success is far less than Res success. The reasons for that are blatantly obvious. It's funny to me how guys leave their home turf for a 6-7 day hunt in places they know far less about and expect to kill a stud. But when you ask that same guy, how many good deer he kills at home through out the course of a full season (on ground he knows exceptionally well) and he'll say, zero-two on average. But there is the expectation of more deer, bigger deer with less knowledge and less time. Because somehow... that makes sense.

If I wasn't seeing good deer, I would look in the mirror and say, "are you going to do something different, or write an article about how this state sucks?" Just my $.02.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  10. Xoutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    Average alot of first time out of state hunters only get one chance to experience this opertunity like kansas. Not around five times like u buddy. I'm pretty sure the author's got knowledge of where deer are at. A week is enough to tell if it was good or not.

11. Xoutdoors

Dislikes Received:
    You do have a point about the success between Residents and nonresidents. The difference is that most Residents spends 365days of scouting and preping in their resident state just to get a chance to tag a big buck. But not all Residents are successful like what everybody says. Some are and some arnt successful with tagging a nice buck on their homes. As for Non Residents, it's more like a blind fold hunt. 1 getting used to this type of terrain that your not familiar ex hunting hill country to marshes, 2 knowing if the areas public or private. Ps some states don't have posted signs that tells you your on private property. 3 try Not getting lost 4 scouting for signs and etc if the areas got a big buck. 4 continue hunting and scouting.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The author needs a safe place where no frustration and triggers exist...might I suggest any of our major colleges these days.

The deer woods ain't for ya good sir.

13. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All three states to the north probably have better public land opportunities, but let's keep those quiet. :p

14. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stop making sense.

15. ybohunt

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure Nebraska does,big sleeper state either way.