What broadhead

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mississippi hoyt shooter, Feb 23, 2017.

1. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    with a young hunter I'd eliminate as many variables on what could go wrong. such as broadhead performance with light bow poundage. for that reason I'd have him shoot a small sharp fixed blade for best chance of a pass thru. there are many excellent choices, standard slicktrick, muzzy, G5 Montec CS, etc. Once he is shooting enough poundage that mechanical functioning is no longer a question, I'd give him the option to shoot whichever broadhead he wanted.
    just my 2 cents worth...

2. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea he watches a lot of outdoor channel and they hype it up that the mechs are the magic thing to never loose a deer. Then to have a 15 inch entrance hole and a blood trail a mile wide.

3. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I think I'm getting more confused the more I read. His son is nearly shooting the same as I am. Compliments to him as my 16 doesn't pull that much weight. My draw wt is 62-63, same length but I haven't chrono'd my bow. So I don't know FPS. I wouldn't have thought I'd need to worry if the killzones I bought would have an issue. My arrows are 417 grains with the 125 killzone COC. So what's more important, draw wt, FPS or combo of both??

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QUOTE=quickstick;1323906 So what's more important, draw wt, FPS or combo of both??

Velocity and mass kill. You want the highest possible momentum at impact. In biomechanics (i have studied this in grad school as a part of my master's program), the study of human and sports equipment science, momentum refers to the amount of damage at the impact of a collusion. Since the purpose of shooting an arrow at deer is to cause enough damage to kill it, momentum is the main concern. Momentum = mass x velocity. To have the highest momentum at impact you need the best possible combination of arrow mass and velocity. You originally posted that your son's bow shoots about 240 FPS. That is slow by today's standards for bows. It will kill but to do that requires a heavier arrow. 403 grains at 240 FPS seconds a middle of the road combination. You can see its rating at the link below. According to Realtree's momentum calculator, you son's set up rates a 3 out of 5 on whether it is good to go with a mechanical head. That is a 60% chance of it working. That is getting a D or F in school. Personally, I would not trust my son's success to those odds. Pick a good fixed blade head. Slick Trick Magnums are my favorites.

Kinetic Energy and Momentum Calculator | Realtree

As a side note, KE means jack squat when considering the devastation of an arrow to a deer. KE = 1/2mV^2, is all about transferring energy from one object to another for the purpose of giving the second object the ability to be more energetic. You are not trying to make a deer more energetic; an arrow is trying to destroy the deer's energy by killing it. Any reference to the KE produces by a bow manufacturer is pure marketing. "Kinetic Energy" sounds sexier than "Momentum" to anyone who does not understand the science. Discussing KE in relation to bowhunting is good marketing, not a good scientific explanation of effectiveness.

5. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! This really helps. You & the article explained the difference between momentum & KE the way I thought it was. It's very easy to be mislead in this world of marketing

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have trouble with why people keep fighting tried and true. Cut on contact fixed blades are foolproof and deadly. Used with well tuned and balanced equipment will fly true and perform great.

The article about KE and Momentum was good. Your goal should be to drive the shaft all the way through. This year I shot a doe walking and hit the leg bone dead center then a rib passed through both lungs then through a rib on the other side and into the leg. Three drops of blood but she was dead in 75 yards. It takes one heck of a good broadhead to do that. I used Bear Razor heads till they quit making them and my supply dried up. But my old 55 lb recurve pushing 175 fps could poke all the way through with a cut on contact head. Why mess with proved?

http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/omg-snuffer-ss-warning-graphic-photos-83408/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know buddy I've experienced the opposite. I used the g5strikers last fall, I shot a small 8pt. I ended hitting him in one lung quarter away and the next day I tracked him I saw him walking on the other side of the pasture alive with a lung. it was my fault for hitting him more foward. Let's just say I just don't do well with fix blades. Ive tagged most of my nice bucks with mechanicals. I've always found them dead. Compared to fixed heads. Never did well ever since I started bowhunting. I went back to mechanicals aka wac em 3 blade expandables. That's just me. If u tagged most of ur deer or big game with mechanicals, stick with mechanicals. If u did better with fix heads, stick with fix heads.

8. RGV Hunter

RGV Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: