Fitness tips

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by charleshibner92, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is a calorie? Please explain?
    Avoid sugar and remove all grains from you diet the weight will melt off. Be advise sugars are hidden all over in food you don't think. Listen to the podcast and learn. IMO counting calories leaves one starving and is not a pleaseant expierance. Weight watchers is the biggest example of this most poeple drop some pounds at first then gain it back. I don't want drama, but that's my opinion base on what i've seen. Plenty of great books about how the food industry is as trustworthy as MJ babysitting. Vinnie has a book club on his site of book to read.

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are welcome to your opinion, I will stick to science. Briefly, A calorie is a unit of measure, whats on your mind?

Being in a caloric deficit is what is required to lose weight. Most days I'm not that hungry when I'm in a caloric deficit but I have been doing this for sometime and know what works for me. The reasons people fail to keep the weight off is as varied as their approach to losing weight but they all have one thing in common. They fail to stay at or below their maintenance calories.

No need to demonize any food group, I enjoy a varied diet. Last weekend I had pizza, chicken wings, cake, and pancakes with real syrup. On thursday I was still down a pound for the week. I've been lean for 8 years. You keep peddling your sugar is evil and I'll keep eating whatever I chose to fit my macros.

IIFYM

3. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I respectfully disagree. You don't need to starve to lose weight. However if you do starve yourself your going to lose weight, sure that is sceince. Not a good sceince when it come to health, but yes it is sceince.
    Lowfat means added sugar, as they have cut out the fat over time the obesity has gone up people are fatter and fatter, but more foods are low fat? Most people in the 40s 50s weren't fat becasue they ate real food. Fat is removed and sugar and other bullsh#i is added. It's not real food. Fat is energy, fat makes you feel full. Grains are processed garbage. Beening lean and being healthy are different things and i'm not saying your not healthy. I don't care about the twinkie study there is now way that guy got healthier eating that garbage. I'm not going to go in circles with you if anyone want the information it out on the web.

The Aetiology of Obesity Part 1 of 6: A New Hope - YouTube

A good look series to look at.

4. santiago0072002

santiago0072002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Told you!!! Talking about diets is worst than politics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

6. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Your points are well taken and I appreciate the lively discussion. I think as people make their way along their weight loss journey they will reach a point where the bulk of their diet is "healthy foods". Why? Because eating "healthy foods" will enable them to eat more food more often. You don't need to starve yourself, but you won't lose a pound unless you are in a caloric deficit.

I think the biggest reason people fail to make real long lasting change is that they feel they need to demonize certain foods. Lets face it obese people are obese because they are eating a surplus of calories. Most of the time its not because they are overeating carrots sticks. Its much easier to know that you can indulge in "unclean foods" once in awhile and not lose any ground. Its much easier navigating social situations if I know I have saved enough calories to have a couple Jack and diets if I want.

I don't have abs because I do crunches I have abs because I have a food scale.

I'm 46yo 5'10 173lbs, I don't take any medicines or have any medical problems.

I agree Fat isn't the boogie man.

7. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:

We are having a good discussion. If simply avoiding certain foods makes you happy and enables you to make long lasting change thats great. I know I am passionate about this topic and simply want more people to enjoy the same successes I have.

I tried to stay out of it but couldn't help myself.

8. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    Ok i have another question for all ya'll.. pills, is ther any that work? Are they all a scam? I know ive tried dr prescribed phentermine in the passd and i know that stuf not good for ya the first pill was like i had takin a hard drug and it will keep u up all night and u will have really low lows. Took another pill once from GNC and if u wernt workin out or workn hard well for me anyway my heart went completely out of rythm and so bad my breathing messd up.. so jus wondering if ther is somethin that actualy works

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    No supplements are needed.

10. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pills ? Really ? Why don't you just take some of the advice here and give yourself 4/6 weeks and report back ?

11. charleshibner92

Dislikes Received:
    Wel i have intention of doin that WELDO i have family with history of heart problems so i couldn do anythin i dought

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive found out that the older I get, the more intense I need to workout to keep off the weight. Im no chubby guy, but Im not getting any younger and my youth is coming back to haunt me in the form of old sports injuries. Sugars are the easiest thing I can eliminate lose weight.

I lost like 15 lbs over 6 months, then gained about 10 lbs back in the past 2 months bc Ive been eating sugars. Yuck. I have to be committed to eating healthy all the time....diet for me is key.

13. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can lose 20 pounds in 2 months. No problem. Nothing but counting carbs. I have gotten down to close to my HS weight. I have done this 3 times. It's easy. Keeping it off is not. I always get tired of the diet and go back to eating whatever I want. This time, I'm working out 3 times a week. I'm more interested in getting stronger and fitter rather than just losing weight. I think I will lose inches but not as much weight. I'm 3 months in and already stronger and increased endurance. Time will tell how this goes but I do like the results thus far. Rep weights already up 20-50% across the board.

14. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you should be careful of "diets," whether it involves eating certain foods or avoiding certain foods. You could eat nothing but salads for a couple weeks and you would lose weight. Then you would get sick of it and be back to old habits.

Whatever your weight is now, if you are stable, cutting down the amount you eat will result in weight loss. If you are gaining, you will have to cut back a little more. After a while, your body will adjust and your weight will stabilize. You will then have to cut back a little more.

Just eat less of what you eat now. If you usually eat two chops, stop at one. If an eight ounce steak is your thing, go with a four to six ounce. One scoop of potatoes instead of two or three. An American style meal usually has one vegetable. We have four or five or more. Vegetables are filling and help ease that feeling of hunger. They also contribute those vitamins you need. Those vitamins (and ginseng) keep my husband ready to do that thing that guys like to do and that us girls like to have.

If you eat less, you will feel hungry. Pick a time of day to maximize the cut back so you will be able to handle it better. If you have a busy day which keeps your mind off hunger, then try small breakfast and small lunch with regular supper so you don't go to bed hungry. Or maybe the other way around will work better.

I weigh 72 pounds. If you are 70 pounds over weight, that is the size of me, the size of a small person. You are now carrying a small person around with you all the time. You will feel much better when that person is gone, but it will be tough.

Exercise, like weight lifting will help. That's because muscles burn more calories. Building the muscles burns fat and then the muscles burn fat. You win two ways. Gym memberships are cheap. If going to a gym is inconvenient, a set of weights is cheap.

Good Luck!

15. Huntzilla

Huntzilla Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright so this thread has turned into a thousand ways to go about getting the same result. The fact is you can pick different pieces of this information to what fit your lifestyle, time constraints and interests. There's a thousand ways to skin a cat and everyone has their own strategies and tricks.

The big thing I want to harp on and others have mentioned this is the mindset. You have to make up your mind that you are going to stick it out and stay committed. It's impossible to workout and something not happen. So whatever you're doing even if it could be done better is changing your body. NO TIME IS WASTED! SHOW UP!

Not only are you going to stay committed you are going to get results. A half *** plan gives you half *** results. When you have sorry results it's easier to give up. On the flip side when you have great results it's like the winds at your back.

That being said, I highly suggest you getting involved in a gym. Ask people how they got what they got. Watch what they do and learn from them. Taking in all this information can be overwhelming I know but get a plan and get after it.

I'm not going to go into detail about what exactly I think you should do because there's plenty of good information already listed. I only say this... you can't work yourself out of a bad diet... I've seen a lot of people try to do it but if you don't have the right metabolism you will not burn that fat. You can get them GAINZ! But you'll still have that cottage cheese hangin on to you... sucks but I speak the truth.

16. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I recently lost 40 lbs doing the Atkins diet. Almost no carbs or sugar. If you have a family history of heart problems you should consult your dr before doing a high fat diet like Atkins. It's not easy but it worked better than anything I have tried in the past. I am 5'11 and was 275lbs when I started, now down to 235. Good luck to you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

17. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I have lost 13 pounds over the last couple of months just by eating better and in moderation. No more eat until I can't eat any more. I just recently started a light workout with my wife, and am curious to see what th results will be. My body has the ability to lose and gain muscle mass really easy, well it did in my younger days, at 45 we will see how resilient my body is.

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be glad your big boned and have real muscle under the insulation.
    I was the opposite. 6'2" at age 20 and weighted 151lbs. Yeah:(

I started lifting everyday in the back of my apartment with some old crappy weights after work and was 220 by age 25.
    No steroids, no gym memberships, just eating lots of clean food and staying with it. It was actually a hilarious journey. That I'm still on.
    I remember noticing the first time I had a try sept in the back of my arm in the mirror:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 28 years old, 5'8", 170lbs. I have a trip to Mexico planned April 1st and started going to the gym last week. I've lost 6lbs so far just by going to the gym for a week and a half and following a strict diet. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

20. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are trying to loose weight remember that initially you may lose lots fast. In most cases it initially water weight, most not all. Point being don't get discouraged. Also there is no diet that will work long term. Being healthy is a life style change, a commitment to eating better and being more active. That doesn't mean you have to eat terrible bland food. You can have burgers and cheat food sparingly if you like. But I think once you start eating healthy your tastes will change. Good luck and keep at it.