Who's about to start their first year?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Bowguy, Aug 2, 2016.

1. mikeymike

mikeymike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year hunting period. At least I hope I will be ready. I have been telling myself for years that I am going to learn to hunt this year. Never had the extra time and this year after loosing both parents to cancer I figured it is time to start learning to do something that I can enjoy and pass down to the kids and grandkids. Anyway I don't know a thing. I bought me a crossbow a while back and played with it and it didn't really interest me to much as it was kind of boring. I went to cabelas and tried out a few bows and bought me a Bowtech Fortitude. I am just trying to figure out everything and learn as much as I can. I don't know if I will be ready for when deer season starts here in Kansas but I am sure giving it a try.

2. Skipxor

Skipxor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Brand new hunter here. Am going bow shopping this weekend. This is all new to me although I have always wanted to learn. Hopefully I won't make too many rookie mistakes. Haha.

3. canadianmedic

canadianmedic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New to Bow hunting and hunting. I am 40 so starting out late jn the game but figure better late than never! I use to go out for grouse at our cabin in 100 mile house as a kid and enjoyed doing that. I have always liked bows as I had one as a kid but it wasn't anything special. I figured if I am going to start hunting I want to use a bow. I feel hunting with bow will add more of a challenge!
    I am going to be using a Martin Nighthawk.
    Good luck to everybody this season!
    Happy Bow Hunting!

4. gothahog

gothahog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Mike. This is my first season as well. I went hunting for the first time 9 months ago for hogs and I am addicted. I only bow hunt and this will be my first deer season. I'm 45 years old , so I'm starting late too. I've killed 6 hogs with my bow to date. But this Saturday will be my first deer sit.

Good luck guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Creepy21

Creepy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    39 here and this is my first and also my sons who is 13. Set up our blind and tree stand yesterday. Put on the broad heads today, and de-scenting our clothes this weekend. October 1 is opening day for bow so I think we are ready. I have a Hoyt ignite, and my sons rockin a PARKER lightning. We're both pretty pumped.

6. 802veteran

802veteran Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I hunted last year but am very novice to hunting in general. This will be my second year bow hunting for whitetail. I hunt mostly public but I have access to two private spots. I have a pse fever and bought it because I want to expand my chance to harvest some venison. This year I have been scouting for a month or so already and am really trying to put in the work. Have been using my game camera but haven't had deer pics yet only turkey and squirrel lol. I also purchased and have been practicing with a climbing stand and of course shooting my bow as much as possible. Any have a suggestion on how long to let your cameras sit (soak)?

7. gothahog

gothahog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I check my cams every 7-14 days. But that's cause I'm there filling feeders anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. rwils83

rwils83 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First year hunting with a bow here. Been out two days so far, and I will tell you it is a lot more fun(by fun I mean difficult lol) than rifle and muzzle-loader. The problem so far has been seeing the deer, once I see one I am sure that will change to getting over the excitement again. Hopefully the three years of shooting target will pay off when the time comes though.....

9. Hemimonstew

Hemimonstew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    33 yrs old from maine and was a big hunter as a kid, moved to the city when i became an adult so lost all opportunities to hunt. Now older and wanted to start hunting again and my wife doesn't like guns so I thought id try bow hunting, actually got her into it also and we just accomplished our bow hunters safety course this past weekend and looking forward to bow hunting this year. We have been practicing shooting together and its alot of fun. I picked up a pse stinger 3g for myself and i love it. We got her a bear cruzer lite and she loves it as well. I would consider myself to be new at this so ive got lots to learn.

10. stince

stince Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is really my first year where i plan to dig in.
    I've taken deer by rifle and hunted since i was 14 in nothing but blaze.

Last year i picked up my bow since i used to shoot small recurve and compounds as a kid.

I started with a Diamond and went to a Bear last season. I've gotten lucky and picked up a great corn/alfalfa/soybean farm that is next to a big state game land forest so i hope to get some shots for you guys to see now. I wasn't able to get in much for trail cameras until last 2 weeks so I'll see whats roaming around as i've seen a few shooters from the roads around the farm at night.

Stay tuned! I also plan on filming!

11. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting an old bow in the yard for about six years. DL is too long and I can't shoot it accurately enough to trust it in a hunting situation. . So I bought one that fit and spared no expense on a Mathew No Cam HTR with all the accessories.

I've been hunting six times already; our season starts on 8/15 where I hunt in SC.

I got my first shot on a deer last Friday evening and blew it. The arrow passed through but had no blood, only some white tissue like hide or sinew and we looked and looked the next day to no avail.

Very surprised I didn't have a dead deer waiting for me when I climbed down an hour after the shot. Heard the thwaaack, saw the deer mule kick, and I was very confident of the shot.

My mentor, who was on the scene for the after-shot debriefing and the search the next day, thinks I hit it in the void between lungs and spine.

I will try to aim for the heart from now on.

I hunt in Northeast South Carolina just across the NC line close to home.

12. BradSC

BradSC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been deer hunting for about 6 years but it was with rifles and long shots. I got a Hoyt this year and I am committing to bow hunting this year. I have sat a few times already and no luck so far. I'm practicing patience as well. Haha

13. metalpucker

metalpucker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Man its nice to see that I'm not the only one not only just getting started with bowhunting but hunting in general. From the Chicagoland area and have always had a fascination with archery and huge curiosity for hunting. The first in my family to hunt, so I get all the weird looks when I talk about it at gatherings. Maybe I'll see some of you out there, in the fields of Illinois. Good hunting to you all!

14. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just started my first year of bowhunting on Oct 1, missed a doe opening morning shot over here back, havent had a chance at anouther deer yet hunting pressure is very high this year on the wma I hunt but im addicted to this stick and string now, dont even want to hunt with my custom built AR 15 rifle I built this past summer just for this deer season just want to bow hunt I love it.

15. Alan Mcfadden

Alan Mcfadden Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my first bow last January...haven't had it hunting yet....I need lots of practice shooting it and get good groups I do got 1 pin set at 20 yards... I get out and practice as much as I can for atleast 30 minutes each time I get out

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

16. troutbum1971

troutbum1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've just ordered my first bow, the Bear Traxx. My fly fishing buddy is and has been an avid bow hunter for a long time. Well he's finally talked me into it. He's going to teach me to shoot and we are taking the IBHC in May. Although there's no bow hunting here in Germany, I will be heading back to The USA soon. And in the meantime I can hunt in the Czech.

17. bowhuntinggirl

bowhuntinggirl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty new to bow hunting. I've been gun hunting since I was 12, I'm 27 now. I've gotten 3 deer, including this years doe with my .243. I just got my bow in September, before that I had one that was stolen, and before that I had kid bows I'd shoot every so often just for kicks. Now I'm finally serious about it. Got a my bow, it's a browning rage, restrung. Looking forward to practicing to bow hunt fall 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. BrassMonkey911

BrassMonkey911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im 38, been out of hunting for the last 20 years. I put my career first. Well I'm at the point I need to get off the fire engine and back in the woods. This year I'm gett'n back into hunt'n. I've got a 2017 Hoyt Powermax on layaway and can't wait to start practicing. I hope I get a buck but this season in CA but just gett'n out in the woods is the goal. It's amazing how many friends I already have, that I didn't know bow hunt and we are gonna get a weekly group together to help each other with our technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will be 33 in July and it will be my first year hunting. Military brat, grew up shooting, but dad didn't get into hunting until I was well into my teens and at that point I didn't want much to do with him, lol. Bought myself and my 10 year old bows for Christmas a couple years ago, and now this year I've been gathering the rest of the equipment so I can go out and get an Iowa whitetail.

Sent from my Z936L using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

20. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a bow 20 to 25 years ago...Oneida screaming eagle?...I never did much with it and sold it at some point or another.
    Gave up hunting around that time (early 90's)....Recently purchased some land in New Hampshire and thought archery would be something my family could all enjoy when they're up there...
    I picked up a Bear Cruzer, mostly for its versatility and adjustability. I tried a few Bowes out and really liked a few PSE's but honestly the Bear felt really nice to my untrained self and for the price and all it looks like a bow my whole family could use (set up for them of course)...
    Im planning on setting up a small 3D course, 4 to 6 targets for practice and then trying some stand hunting in the fall.
    Our cabin sits on the back side of 5 achers mostly surrounded by water and heavily wooded for the most part..No homes around so I'm guessing we'd be okay but might ask around for an opinion or two ...