Hiking boot recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by frantic29, Feb 4, 2017.

1. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of hikers do you guys like? I typically buy the Timberland Flume or White ledge and have good luck. Generally 3-4 years out of a $100 shoe. Uses for me include anything from everyday wear, hiking, scouting all the way to hunting down to about 45 degrees. Pretty much from late summer to the fall through winter they are all I wear. Been looking at some of the higher end Cabelas by Miendle "Perfekt" hikers or some Eccos. I wear Ecco casuals shoes at work and love them just don't know how there hikers are besides spendy. I like leather hikers (some cordura mixed in is fine), must be waterproof, prefer a mid height. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Dub-C

Dub-C Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what your budget is, but have you considered having one pair for early season and another for later when the mercury drops? I'm kind of a weirdo in that I wear minimalist shoes. I spend a lot of time barefoot in a martial arts Dojo so my feet and ankles are accustomed to supporting my weight barefoot through rigorous activity. I wear these all the way through our September early bow season and hike in them all summer. Minimus 10v1 Trail - Men's 10 - Running, - New Balance - US - 2,

My favorite brand of conventional boots/shoes are Keen. They are in your price range, very comfortable, and are built well. That's what I wear when the weather doesn't allow the minimal shoes. Keen can run a little small so it's best to try them on in a store.

3. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah those wouldn't be up my ally at all. I am looking at some Keens too though.

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer Merrill hikers. Light and comfortable.
    I wear them for pretty much everything from walking, hiking, bowhunting and running drills and classes at the range.
    Word of caution though, I've yet to find a lightweight synthetic shoe that is waterproof, doesn't matter the brand. I think they flex too much to maintain it.
    So if waterproof is a requirement, go leather.

5. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    That has been my experience with Merrills.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I eat through Merrills and Keens in less then a year of regular use. They do nothing for me in so far as quality and longevity.
    I tend to now gravitate to Zamberlan, Crispi or Lowa. All make higher quality boots.

Meindl was also mentioned, I had a pair of island hunters that beat to death and were worth every penny. I also had a pair of the cabelas version and got my money's worth out of them as well. I wouldn't be afraid to add meindl to the list as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    La Sportiva boots, you will have to pay over $200 but well worth the money. I have a pair of Glaciers I have worn on fires from California to Missouri to Canada. 4 years on my current pair and they are still in great shape.

8. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard good stuff about the La Sportivas. They are just ugly to me for the most part. There are 1 or 2 pairs that aren't bad but overall not my style. I think I'm going to roll with some Eccos. Found a pair that are discontinued that are $99 that were normally $220. We'll see how they hold up. If they are anything like their casual shoes I should be good for the next 5-7 years at least.

9. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its a pricey boot, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for. I do allot of hiking an no matter how good the boots are, they usually last me 2 years at the very most. Here would be my recommendation: Solomon 4D GTX hiking boots. waterproof, no break-in period needed and super comfortable. Good ankle support and not too heavy either.

10. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had very good experiences with Ecco shoes for casual wear too. I have to have good shoes or my back really starts to hurt, and I have never gotten less than four years out of a pair of Eccos.

11. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of the cabelas meindls....I like them a lot. Only thing I don't love about them is the the top of the boot.

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  13. tlarsen4715

tlarsen4715 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Early season/summer I usually wear a pair of rockey Sv2s. A little on the speedy side but extremely comfortable. For colder temperatures I like anything Irish setter

14. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually tried these on today. Thinking about going back and getting them. I liked them because they arent mesh.
    20170211_124233.jpg 20170211_124237.jpg

15. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up with a pair of Ecco Track 2. They have a glove like fit with a sock type interior. The sole is grippy and is all leather with Gore Tex construction. In the store they were great but developed a hot spot or two on the first hike. Those have since subsided with a few miles and I did 6 miles yesterday with great results. Only complaint is they are HOT. Will probably have to go with something else through the summer months.

I will say as well I got talked into a pair of Swiftwick socks while there. These are merino wool everyday wear type socks. At $22/pair they aren't cheap but they are far and away the best socks I have ever put on. My feet don't sweat them out as bad I have less problems with odor and they are just comfortable. I will be replacing all my socks with these. Albeit slowly because of price. Not something I can just go buy 6 pairs of on a whim. From all indications and research they are ridiculously durable as well.

I am a meat popsicle.

16. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got talked into a pair of those socks too. I hope they last a long time because I love them. At that price I only have one pair. If you would do a review on the boots in a couple of months that would be awesome. Right now I have a pair of Herters that I picked up on clearance, and they have worked out really well for me.

17. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    depends on the terrain and what I'm carrying. for the toughest terrain and a heavy load the Asolo Fugitive GTX worked well for me. expensive but held up better than the leather boots did in Asia. Some folks wore Merrill Moab but they just don't feel right on my feet.

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought these Zamberlan's in the fall for my white tail hunt. Mountain Boots Trekking BOOTS Shoes Manufacturer - Zamberlan

Great boots so far and very comfortable. Haven't done an all day walk or hike in them but have worn them around a few days working a such and they are great. Luckily I didn't have to pay retail price but very happy with them so far. Put a light coat of mink oil on them and you're ready to go.