Beware- Tick alert in IL

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by dnoodles, Feb 13, 2017.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just a heads up to everyone out there- my buddy was out in the woods in northern IL this weekend and both he and his dog came home "covered up" in ticks. Apparently the sunshine and little warm up we had the past couple of days woke them up.

Take care out there.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had two on me last week here in Vermont without the warm up!

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't surprise me. I wonder with the moderate winter we have if this year is going to be worse than normal......

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was out last week and didn't get any but will sure to be checking now. Gonna be out this week so will be mindful of them!

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well crap.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They may be worse because they are worse but not because of the warm winter. Ticks can freeze solid and be just fine, they just go dormant.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is (mostly) true- they can definitely survive sub freezing temps. Not commonly known though- I didn't know until I looked it up after talking to my buddy.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find they have a hard time getting on me past my snow shoes.

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I vaguely remember ticks..... ;)

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got a couple on me Saturday while working. You can get them any time of the year, I have even had them walking on me when the temps were below freezing!

11. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are some people immune to lymes? Serious question. I bet we don't even know for sure. I have been bitten by them little deer ticks so many times and haven't had any affects I just wonder. I always think oh boy I'm gonna feel it in two weeks and nothing ever happens.
    My dog on the other hand. We went ice fishing when he was about 8 months. When we got back to the cabin all was well. Next morning the dog could not even walk. His back right leg was out of whack. Mind u this was January. We get home and I monitor. Next morning all sudden his back left leg is out of whack and he is not walking. I bring him by my parents and my dad says wasn't it the other leg. I said ya that's what I thought. Well later that nite he so bad he can't walk and pissing himself when I pick him up. I rush to emergency vet. They say he has lymes. Give him shots and pills. And he is all sudden fine. Pills for a month. Haven't had an issue since. Just an FYI for ur pets. I told doc how it went from right leg to left and said lymes targets joints and it bounces from joint to joint so that is very common. Bone dog gets hundreds of ticks a year. Granted u pull most off before bitten but they still get him. Bone dog still don't care. He is shed machine and says bring on the ticks. As long as I brush. Lol

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lyme effects everyone differently. I've had it for about a dozen years and if I let my system get stressed out, over tired and weak in any way, I'll have a flare up. As long as I stay active and am paying attention to what I'm doing, I'm OK. I have a couple friends that didn't get diagnosed quickly and haven't been careful with their bodies that are now in a really bad way.... walking with canes, etc. One even has had real bad heart issues.

13. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have kept the dog treated with Tick and Flea dope from about April through October. So far have not had a problem with any of the outside dogs. Front Line seems to work the best. I keep the house dog's yard, around the house and windows & door sprayed with Tempo. Use it in the basement for any spiders, ants, etc that might find a crack to get in. Tempo is no cheap but it works. We have a family get together every year and I spray the area around the horse shoe courts, etc. a couple days prior. Several lay around on the grass, kids play and roll around, etc. Not one has ever had any bites of any kind or found an ticks on them. Why do dogs and horses get ticks on them and goats and cattle don't ? ?

15. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If u eat enough deer ticks u won't get lymes disease ever. I'm serious. No im joking. Or am I?

16. bbslayr

bbslayr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A Client of mine just had their 24 year old daughter pass away from Lymes. Absolute shame that it went so far before being diagnosed, I had it years ago went on 30 days of doxicylcine and was all set from then. I usally with my yearly physical ask if they can do a lymes test as well. I dont want to go through that again.