Alright boys, lets hear it (video)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    looked like bad choice of taking that shot. that buck's front leg was back. that clearly set the hunter up for a direct shoulder blade hit. and that is exactly what it looked like to me. no mechanical and few fixed blade heads are going through the shoulder blade. although right at the very end of the video I noticed the buck really picked up speed showing me more of a death run. good chance that buck dropped just out of sight. if it did die the arrow probably glanced of the shoulder blade and did more damage. I guess I would have waited until the buck stepped forward a step. fun thread to say the least.

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    High right hit. Shoulder blade for sure. Not good for the Rage mechanical but might have gotten lucky and got into a lung. More damage could result from arrow being hit and jarred around. Before it came out. I'm guessing you found the deer dead 200-300 yds away.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's hard to tell. I would say it was above the spine or hit directly into the scapula. If it stuck into the scapula, I would say its still alive. But most likely will kill it at some point. If it was above the spine, he will live to see another day.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bump. Lets hear the story

5. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot at a bad time... I'm guessing this wouldn't be so fun if he was never recovered so he probably dropped a couple hundred yards out. Looks to be between spine and lungs though might have hit an artery.

REALLY bad penetration. Was far away from the shoulder so I'm following this to find out what stopped that arrow so early...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you look close you can see the shoulder blade through the skin as he is walking. This was definitely hit in the upper back region of the scapula. a few inches lower and the buck would have been smoked. Looking at the arrow I am going to guess that he lived. No bubbles in blood from what I can see and very little penetration. The broadhead is still in his shoulder. All a guess of course. If it got the onside lung it grazed it and didn't punch though it. If the deer was recovered it wasn't from that shot.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So for the update:

That night we waited 2.5 hours and went to look for the arrow. After we found it we decided to back out until morning.

[​IMG]

The next morning we went back in daylight. We didnt find a single drop of blood. Ended up logging 3 miles on the fitbit searching water and bedding.

Upon inspection of the arrow, we foubf that the broadhead broke in half right above the threads.

[​IMG]

We havnt had a chance to grab trail cameras since then, but will be on Sunday to see if hes still alive. I think hes alive. High shoulder zero penetration hit.

This might also be enough to convince me to switch back to fixed blade broadheads next year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    And here is 4 years worth of pictures of the buck in question, "Brokentine".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that was hoping u missed shoulder blade and slide it right in so shoulder blade would have worked that arrow in ur favor. I use rage chisel tips and do fine over them hypodermic they look to lite to me imo. We have a deer that got shoulder punched and seen him the next day on trail cam so hope u have good luck one way or other been a nice trophy way he is made. Thanks for the fun post

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I did the same thing about 4 years ago. I hit the buck in the scapula with a large 2 blade mechanical head. Tracked for over a mile that night and never found him, lots of blood but ran into a property I didn't have permission on. I ended up finding him 2 1/2 months later at the end of November. I tagged the head and keep the scapula. It started to heal over, but my guess is he died from infection. I feel he lived for almost 2 months after the shot, from the condition the body was in when I found it.

I stopped using mechanical heads shortly after that and went back to fixed heads, and never had a problem since.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What was the draw weight of the bow and weight of the arrow? Not defending the rage but a bad hit is a bad hit a fixed blade can not fix that.

14. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    60lb draw...not sure on arrow weight as its not my arrows.

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys notice by the trail cam pics i posted, this buck is extremely scarred up. He has an open wound on his neck from the first week of December thats been in various forms of infection, but he doesnt look "sick".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can tell by the picture below from last year, hes always been a fighter and that why we call him "Brokentine".

[​IMG]

Im curious if he shows up on trail cam. Hopefully he does.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sugar Tit, tell him to draw like a big boy if he is going to shoot a mechanical.:whip:

17. Gator Dale

Dislikes Received:
    Well the deer I said got shoulder punched here and seen on camera was just found by my son and his friend was our number one buck for next season this was three months after he was shot but had him trail cam two weeks ago IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1868.JPG this disappointing was hoping to survive

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like the buck dropped quite a bit, which caused a high hit. It was also a tad forward. The front leg was back, so it's possible he just hit the ridge on the shoulder blade. It's also a possibility that it was a spine hit, just didn't catch the spinal cord. The backbone runs lower in that are than most people realize.

I pulled off a very similar shot this year as I hit high and forward. I blew right through the shoulder blade and lodges the G5 havoc into the spine. Fortunately the combination of pinning the shoulder to the spine and shocking the spinal cord the buck dropped in his tracks and could not get up. I had to put a second arrow into him to finish the deal. Not my best shot. It was a very steep angle so I was aiming high for a low entry. I feel like I must have made the mistake of aiming instead of bending at the waist. Combined with pulling the shot to the left, it compounded the problem. I was very lucky.

19. Gator Dale

Dislikes Received:
    Hope u can recover at least bet coyotes have him cleaned up and if u get snow doesn't cover him up

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was a badly timed shot, as the buck was alert, but I hope it works out. That raccoon's reaction was FUNNY!!!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017