Western States Ban Winter Shed Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe Christine will comment about the class she took it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In Utah the ban is specifically on antler hunting, and it's state-wide on both public and private land. This is 100% due to the large amount of snow they have and the stress it's putting on the animals.

In Colorado this legislation was passed several years ago and has nothing to do with this year's winter conditions. Their ban is only in specific areas, and limited to public land only. The ban covers other activities as well - including small game hunting, mountain lion hunting, etc. I'm not 100% sure if it extends to all recreational activities.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I partially agree and if tempted might do that too, the precedent has been established that wildlife is property of the state, regardless of who owns the land. They probably would write you quite the ticket just out of pure "eff you" attitude :evilgrin:

4. realunlucky

realunlucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Utah shed class is focused on how to do it ethical. If you see any utards on social Media it's been a huge failure. Been a spike in coyote and rabbit hunting in the winter grounds since the ban was announced. I'd guess they will ticket a few people stupid enough to post online early pickups

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I understand the reasoning behind this one. Other regulations in other parts tend to make me think " The King's deer"

6. bobbyh

bobbyh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    guess I'd have to argue that since I or the people are the state, then yes the critters belong to me,,,:biggrin:

7. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ah. Gotcha.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Coming from someone that thinks that in general Utah is the antithesis of conservation and wildlife management, I have to say I agree with this temporary policy.
    The long term welfare of the wild animals should supersede temporary activities. Furthermore it a smart move in that the greater value is live healthy animals to hunt and enjoy. And many more people partake in hunting and observation then people shed hunting. Furthermore now that shed hunting has become commercial endeavors for some people we might have to start rethinking our policies toward it.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The world has gone insane...

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The shed 'class' is an online read and answer ethics course.

It is really a reminder about not adding to the stress levels of the animals, not to tear up the mountains and/or the sagebrush and other vital habitat and how on a normal year we lose a lot of fawns over the winter and a bad winter we can lose 90 percent of them.

If you don't understand how animals survive in the Mountain West, you don't understand how vulnerable they are this time of the year. There's 50-150" of snow in the mountains where these animals live in the summer and fall, so now they're concentrated in the valleys and foothills.

The closing of the entire state was to protect the central and southern half of the state from being flooded with all the people from the northern counties from coming and pressuring our herds. The northern counties were really hammered with snow and needed the temporary closure. I heard some areas got 80"+ in a week.

If everyone used common sense we wouldn't need a closure but common sense is in short supply anywhere and when it comes to deer and elk antlers it tends to go right out the window.

For a lot of people out here, shed hunting isn't a leisurely walk through the farm. It involves snowmobiles, atvs, side by sides, horses and groups of people with dogs doing grid searches.

A couple years ago, some rich guys crashed their helicopter while looking for antlers from it.

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    why don't they go get those crazy judges in Washington to overturn the law? it wouldn't stop me from shed hunting. hard to believe picking up an old deer antler is a crime. this country has lost its' mind.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think some of the comments on here really shows a lack of understanding to the situation and the ecology involved. This goes way beyond picking up an antler. Again I loathe Utah's model, the SFW influence ect ect ..however we should give credit where it's due. They are reacting fast to a situation to try to mitigate it with the best interest of the wildlife as a priority.

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I think some of the comments on here show a basic ignorance of how much of a slippery slope this is. Government telling private land owners they cannot pick up a shed on their private land is ignorance and I don't give a damn what case is made. The real problem is the precedent it sets across the country.

There has to be a better solution.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.

This is nuts.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    So you have a chunk of private ground, what are you worried about... the birds are going to carry the sheds off? I have an idea, lets stress the animals (that are already battling upwards of 250" of snowfall) in an attempt to find their sheds that "might blow away." Perhaps push them into the deep snow they're avoiding, so the wolves can kill them. All so that you can give someone the metaphorical "finger?" Stay classy.

That's ignorance or southern genius, whatever you want to call it.

"The precedent it sets for the rest of the country"... Okay, let's name all the states that have migratory herd animals, deal with 2-300" of snow annually and enormous chunks of public ground. I'm pretty sure there are about 5. I'm sure Kansas could really use this for when their whitetails start the migration to the winter grounds in Oklahoma. :dan:

I love it when people that have zero experience with the topic at hand, still have a solid opinion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017