Food plot question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Feb 6, 2017.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's up guys.. First timer with food plots. Luckily for me my dad is a farmer and will be assisting. I have it figured out as far as late season plots, I wana plant some sort of brassica, leaning towards tall tine tubers from whitetail institute. As far as early season plots what are some recommendations? ALSO... Attached is two areal photos of the land.. The red star in the woods Is a ridge top filled with rubs and scrapes. The other red star in the field is also where I would like to plant a bigger plot. the field has a hump in the middle so deer cant be soon from the road so they are hidden. the yellow outline is a huge thicket that I will treat as a sanctuary. creek runs thru the middle of the property between hillsides.

So my two questions are what is a good summer plot to plant.. And where should I plant at? The ridgetop with the star is a definite plot sight but is the field a good idea?

the property is approx. 90 acres an outlined in white

Attached Files:

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WI power plant works good for me. You have to keep the deer out at first to let it get up. If not they will destroy it. I also over seed mine with American joint vetch. The vetch will keep coming back with heavy browsing. Bigger plots are better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good ill look into that!

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Soybeans are ice cream for whitetails. Essentially though it goes back to how much are you have to plant. If planting more than an acre you should be able together away with planting beans. Second to that is peas but same rule applies need a bigger plot or they will mow them to the ground before they produce. If planting peas some people like to mix in some milo or sunflowers for the peas to climb.

If you have a smaller area to plant can't really go wrong with white clover. Keep it mowed and sprayed for weeds and it should last you a few seasons.