Looking at a new release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowman92, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really interested in getting a 4 finger thumb trigger release and im curious and to what everyone on here shoots and your opinions on different types of releases and why you like them

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started shooting a Stan Element TL (3 finger triggerless resistance activated). Once I get that down pretty good, I'll probably move to a thumb trigger for hunting.

One school of thought is that fewer fingers is more conducive to a more consistent shot pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a wrist strap shooter but I do have a couple thumb releases to play with and I'm a Carter fan.

4. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good and bad things about the thumb releases?

5. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back tension right? I agree with the less fingers part Hut id rather know when my shots go off, with back tensions if they're jot set just right it could just go off and that unnerves me

6. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently decided to try a thumb release as well and purchased the tru ball max hunter pro 4 and enjoy it so far. I picked it because it didnt cost a fortune if I ended up not liking it and it seems solid in construction. I will say if you can, try a few 3 finger releases as well as 4 finger. I noticed once i get anchored my pinky doesnt sit comfortably and so I shoot it with only 3 fingers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I plan to shoot all i just think I'd like a 4 finger better for when I pull back i feel like I'd be able to hold it better

8. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, back tension. I hear you. I've only shot 100 shots or so, but it has been that difficult to setup. It will take me a lot more practice to perfect it though. It seems to encourage me to shoot with better technique.

I would say check out the Stan thumb releases anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Bowman92

Bowman92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly will, good luck with your current release

10. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a carter chocolate addiction 4 finger thumb release and love it. i used to use wrist straps but then got this and let me tell you I shoot so much better with this style my groups are so tight I get a way better anchor point I've noticed with this style release. I am so consistent now at long ranges I shoot at 90 like it's 50 and I think it's all due to this release cause I wasn't this consistent with the wrist strap for some reason.

11. Velvetbuck

Velvetbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But in my opinion carter or stan cause they have the most adjustments to get the feel you want.

12. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't advocate for the Tru Ball Blade enough. Its a pricey investment, but you won't be disappointed.
    Even though this is a 3 finger, its super comfortable, great weight (if you get the pro, its got half brass), super-crisp trigger and quiet enough for hunting setups. I'm currently using this release exclusively, for hunting and target.
    Unfortunately release aids, are like bows. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences, best is to get to your local shop and get the feel for a few different options before making a decision.

13. Flatstatehunter

Flatstatehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb release last year. I went ahead and saved money for a quality release and bought the Stan 4 finger sx3. I haven't regretted it yet except when I first stared using it and shot my house twice due to hitting the trigger lol. I shoot mine with the majority of the pressure on my first three fingers but like that I can rest my pinky on the handle. I use my like a back tension where I pull through the shot to activate the trigger. It has greatly improved my accuracy. Also like previously stated the more expensive releases have numerous features to adjust it to you and your style.