Anybody making the switch?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by JakeD, Jun 16, 2016.

1. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much same thing for me

2. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have really been considering it. I shoot every day at least a few arrows but over the past little while I've been shooting my recurve twice as much as the compound. I don't know if I can put the compound down for good just yet but over the winter I will practise lots shooting the trad bow in the basement where I can shoot about 13 yards which is not bad. I really just want to work on my form. I'm also in the market for a new bow. I think I'm going to spend the coin on a black widow PMA II. It's a beautiful looking take down recurve.

As I got it planned out in my head, I will finish off this season with the compound, and I got a Muley doe draw that I will bust out the recurve for in January. Shoot the trad bow all winter and try to get a black bear once I can shoot great out to 20-25 yards. I'm excited already!!

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seriously thought about but I barely practice enough with my compound as it is.

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never stopped using a recurve but use a compound to hunt at times. My fishing bow setup is a takedown recurve. Shooting a bow without training wheels will point out any flaws in form and greatly improve your compound performance.

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just thought that I'd put this in here. This is my first trad deer. It was nice to see what my setup can do. It erased any doubts about penetration issues. I don't see me ever switching back to a compound.

[​IMG]

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After this season closes I'm going to pickup a bear Montana. Wether or not I hunt with it next year I don't know.
    There's just something about the idea of it that pulls me in.
    It's like hunting with grandpa's gun or using a Hawkins you built yourself.

7. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch completely to traditional bows in 2015. Sold my compounds. I hunt with a '69 Bear Super Mag (48" recurve) and shoot 3D with it and my 70" 21st Century Longbow and I also shoot 3 Osage selfbows (one of which I personally made last Spring). No turning back for me. I didn't start shooting or hunting until Oct 2013. Better late than never. I'll be 64 this year. Marsha

8. Dub-C

Dub-C Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to completely commit to traditional gear for several years, but I kept the compound around "just in case". I haven't killed any big game animals with my recurve yet, but I didn't kill any with the compound either. Once I sold the compound, I felt like a burden had been lifted and I could fully devote my time to learning to shoot the recurve. Just having the wheelie bow around gave me doubts about it. I had a recurve as a kid, but I was never any good with it. It took me a few years to get proficient enough to hunt with it, and I'm still looking to connect on my first but I know that time will come. My kids shoot trad bows too and it's a lot of fun for us.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I'm making the switch from the compound to the Crossbow. Can't wait to practice less and kill more. Good stuff!

10. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the switch was to traditional archery so you will need to get a crossbow without training wheels. Good luck with killing more.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

12. Jeff Kavanagh

Jeff Kavanagh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting a recurve now for 44 years. I've never tried a compound before, although my son has one as well as my friends. All good.

13. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome Jeff... It does slip up on a feller, almost 50 years for me.

chris

14. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch after missing finger draw. While I love my compound, nothing to me beats the feel of trad. Heh tho at first I sure was missing that 80% let off, which there is no such thing in trad. Personally I like the feel better.

15. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Picked up a couple of recurves this year and intend to hunt all trad this fall. Now i just need to get inside of 25 yards. Piece of cake. LOL

16. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a Bear Kodiak for $25 and sold it for $25 with arrows. Bear Kodiak series is about $500! Love to have a recurve. Bought one and found it was for kids. When my ship comes in and I'm not at the airport, I'm going to buy a decent recurve. Bought a Bear Whitetail compound about 40 years ago. Still try to shoot it instinctively even with sights. FWIW, learned on a curve about 60 years ago. The fiberglass started to crack- had to cut in two and junk it.

17. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure.
    I just found and bought a traditional (take-down) recurve today that has a legal hunting weight at my short draw length.
    I have to relearn how to shoot it. The last time I shot a recurve was in P.E. class, during my junior year of high school in 1973.
    If I can get as accurate as I am with the compound bow, I will hunt with it. If not ... no way.
    Of course if my right shoulder gets worse (I'm losing movement) I'll have to hunt with either a crossbow or traditional sidelock muzzleloader.