Banged up Hunter getting BACK into archery.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by FuelMetalJacket, Jan 31, 2017.

1. FuelMetalJacket

FuelMetalJacket Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Guys,
    looking for some equipment advice.
    Years ago I hunted with a Martin Cougar Magnum set at 105 lbs. This was about 30 years ago.
    Im a Big guy 6'4" with a long draw.
    back in 2014 I was shopping for a new bow to get back into Archery deer hunting , when I had a bad fall and suffered a MASSIVE Rotator cuff tear on my LEFT shoulder(I'm right handed).
    Arthroscopic surgery was unsuccessful. I then had my whole shoulder opened up for surgery .
    I was off work for 2 years for recovery.
    i have my range of motion back now, but still very weak lifting above the shoulder, and in pain when working overhead, and when holding my arm out straight, holding any weight is difficult at times.
    I am told the best I can expect is an 80% recovery.
    I hunted with a CROSSBOW this year, and had much success. But I really want to get back on a compound bow.
    I obviously don't want to use a child's bow, but while I am weaker in my left arm, Im obviously not going be able to hold back a super heavy lb pull .
    I'm thinking I'll be ok with a 70lb pull, but I guess I should get a bow that has an overall light physical weight.
    and with the Most % let off at full draw, that still sends the arrow at a nice speed.
    any suggestions?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With todays' compounds 50 pound draw will kill a deer. I have a destroyed rotator and torn labrum in my right shoulder, (right handed) and have just sold my last 70# bow and was very successful with a 60# bow.
    Good luck. (no crossbow here yet either)

3. MichiganYoungBlood

MichiganYoungBlood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I myself shoot a Mathews, but I know pse has a new bow with up to 90% let off. May be a nice option.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If smooth draw and high let off are top priorities for you then be sure to check out Elite. Especially the 2016 Energy and Synergy models.

The Synergy is discontinued in 2017 so a good deal on left over stock could possibly be found.

I haven't shot anything from their new line up. Have no desire to.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    105 lb draw weight must have been perfect for hunting dinosaurs

6. FuelMetalJacket

FuelMetalJacket Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mean hunting dinosaurs as in I'm getting so old that dinosaurs were what I used to hunt?
    or because that much power is required to kill a big dinosaur? Both? Ha Ha.
    well back then, the compound bows were nothing like today. In fact, I'm pretty sure that was before CAMS came into the picture mainstream. And we didn't know any better...All my friends were lifting weights, and powerlifting back then, so we equate heavier pull means faster arrow. So let's make it as heavy as possible !
    those days are long over.
    but thanks for the suggestions guys.

7. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
    lol I meant the weight on the bow, I can't even imagine pulling back that much weight on a bow. Glad to see how far bow technology has come. Good luck this year and I would recommend shooting less weight. I shoot my bow at 55lbs and have had no issues killing whitetails for the last 6 years. It's all about shot placement!

8. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
    One last thing that I forgot when shooting under 62 pounds I recommend only using fixed broadheads.

9. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot 70# compounds and 60# recurves for years......until my shoulders started giving me some issues back in 2010. With the design of modern bows, a 60# max bow is plenty in terms of speed, performance and penetration on North American sized game. I've used fixed blade broadheads for years, but this past hunting season decided to try some NAP Spitfires with my 58@29 Prime Rival and blew through several deer. Thus I would not shy away from a decent mechanical if you are thinking in that direction.....not a huge cutting version but a moderate type like the Spitfire worked great for me.....all pass through results. Primes have a smooth draw, good performance and are rock solid in terms of dependability.

10. tlarsen4715

tlarsen4715 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As far as weight of the bow there is the Hoyt carbon line, pse carbon air, and bowtech carbon knight/icon

11. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I tore a muscle in my right shoulder in June 2011, I bought a light weight left hand mission bow with a pulled weight 30-50 and learned to shoot left handed so I could hunt that fall. So I had the same problem you have, an injured arm/shoulder holding the bow. For me, the two stresses of holding the bow up and then handling the draw weight as I pulled the bow back were more of an issue than the let off once it was back. They now have Mission (and other brand) bows that go up to 70# now and still maintain that very wide range of draw weigh. That might give you greater flexibility to find a comfortable draw weight for your injured bow arm vice just focusing on greater let off.
    bow hunting is addicting, good luck with it.