Plythal Clothing

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by smitty88, Jan 31, 2017.

1. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody try Plythal yet? I've been pondering a new brand and can't afford Sitka, but this stuff reminds me of Sitka and the price is right. Just ordered some on sale lightweight pants and jacket for going out west this fall.

Dave Stevanus likes this.
  2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have any, but got to check it out at the ATA Show. While I think it's nice stuff, to me it didn't seem to have the same quality or feel that a Sitka or Kuiu has. That's not saying it's bad, just not as high quality IMO.

The price point is a lot easier to swallow though! :tu:

3. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your video is really the only time I've seen it brought up. New company, affordable, and practical. Worth a shot.

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not really sure if there is much interest out there, but I got my plythal jacket and pants. I have no experience with Sitka, but the material seems to be similar to some of the Under Armour I've owned. I would expect the material to be the same durability as UA also. Pants are light weight with an athletic build. I'm 6'3" 200lbs with a 34 waist and a large fit me perfect. Not too loose, not too tight. I ordered a mid weight jacket and was surprised on how heavy it really was. I could wear this jacket with temperatures in the teens with a sweatshirt underneath. Jacket would be too warm to do much hiking with. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and the savings. I will be purchasing more Plythal in the future and look forward to putting it to the test in the mountains this fall.

5. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Midway USA has a steal on plythal right now. How did you like it in your first season? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the full rut extreme jacket for $115 right now. May possibly go pant and jacket combo.

6. jagend

jagend Newb

Dislikes Received:
    kjstaudt86,

Just checked out the deal you're referencing on Midway - that's a great price for the full rut extreme jacket. The microfleece + windproof / waterproof combination should serve you well in cold temps. The Sitka jackets are tricked out with GORE-TEX and PrimaLoft - but hard to justify the $300-$500 price bump vs the deal you found.

Do it and post your thoughts!

- Jagend

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  7. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to share My initial thoughts on the jacket. I have attached pictures of the jacket below. I decided to pull the trigger on the plythal full rut extreme jacket a couple weeks ago. According to their website this looks to be the heaviest of jackets. When I opened the jacket up I was a bit surprised there wasn't a lot of insulation like a thick winter coat usually has. The material is very thin IMO, but looks like it will hold up to the elements. The outer section is a nice soft micro fleece type material which makes it fairly quiet. The jacket looks good overall and I think will be a good for the rain and wind, however looks like you will really need to add some base layers for a colder day. The zippers are all nice and look waterproof... The top chest pockets are deep and could easily hold a big iPhone plus some other small things. It has draw strings for the hood so you can make it snug to your head and has a nice slip in the back to pull your harness through. I'm looking forward to testing it this fall to give an update on how it really does.

Attached Files:

jagend and Shocker99 like this.