Arrow Weight Selection

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TwoBucks, Jan 29, 2017.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The speed of sound is a lot faster than your setup. Your arrow isnt going to beat it.

With your setup, I would be going with the 450 or 475

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha yeah the speed about sound is like 1200 fps I believe, I'm just looking to up my speed. I felt like my arrows last year were past the trade off point for whitetails, but I really liked them for elk. I want to try black eagle but it seems like all there arrows for my stiffness are 10 gpi or more which turns into a pretty heavy arrow at 31 inches...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take this for what it's worth, my setup is perrty unique due to my very short draw length and this was my first year bowhunting.

I shoot a arrow that comes out with broadhead at 349 and had pass throw on the two does I killed this year.

I hunt very spooky public land deer here in louisiana, my draw length is 26 inches and my arrows come out with broadhead at 26 1/2 inches.

The online calculator I have been using puts my arrow at 292 feet a second.

So a 400 to 450 total weight arrow going 270+ should be a very good setup for deer from my understanding.

Again take it for what it's worth.

4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've struggled a bit too with finding a good happy medium that keeps higher FOC, without hurling 600 grains at them. I have a half dozen Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce 340's that I'm going to start experimenting with. At 340 spine, they're 8.3 grains an inch. For me, I can' build a 400 grain arrow with them, then if desired up FOC by adding insert weights to get the desired FOC, without compromising spine. I'm planning on adding 20 grains up front to give me a 420ish arrow. I want a flatter trajectory because I'm going to also experiment with less pins (down to 2).

5. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I was in the mid 500s going probably 285? I think I can get in the 300-320 fps range with 4-450 gr for whitetails and have a pretty devastating arrow with a 4 blade expandable..

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot what gets you closest to 280 fps. Thats my magic number i try to keep my bows around. Tuning gets harder above 290. Plus the heavier arrow has more knockdown power. Pay attention to momentum not KE.

7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with the 500gr and leave it at that.
    Anything over 280 FPS is plenty for 3D and hunting.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    28 fps? im wondering if you meant 280?

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    280 FPS.....BAHAA I am shocked I've had pass throughs at my slow speeds then :evilgrin:

I need to change my set up obviously now...

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I could shoot 285 with a 550 grain arrow I'd be in heaven.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well.....just pull like 100lbs :tu:

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    For some reason this thread is reminding me of when I pull into the bow shop and all the big lifted 4x4 trucks with mud tires and stickers and those balls hanging from the hitch are there.....me in my rear wheel drive normal older F150 with a solid buck in the back and they think it's huge :evilgrin: LOL!

(before anyone gets offended or made, I simply get a kick out of the need for speed for some folks, NO the OP doesn't fit that parameter though as he's atleast talking weights over 400 grains minimum and understands far more than most about arrow builds)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  13. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Ha no worries from me, takes a lot more than complimenting my truck to make me mad :evilgrin: jk i have a basic f 150 although I get stuck all the time so I got the 4x4. The only reason I'm thinking about two different arrow builds is that I think my range of shooting applications is wide enough to justify it. I will be shooting something in the 550 grain range for elk either way, but I recently got into distance target shooting and I would like some lighter arrows so I can reach out farther than 100. Plus, have you guys ever sent a 550 gr arrow into a new target @ 280 fps? It can be a female dog to get those things out.. And my thoughts with whitetails is that I'm not having issues with pass through shots, I'm having issues with deer dropping and if I already have a lighter arrow I might as well see if that helps.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  14. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What if a heavy arrow made your bow quiet enough that the deer wouldn't spook and drop at the shot as much.

To me that is more plausable than getting an arrow to fly fast enough to out race the speed of sound and a deer's remarkable reflexes.

15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 425 grain arrow at 67lbs with a 26.5" draw. Complete pass-throughs on all three deer I killed this year with a Slick Trick. I hunted Elk last year with the same set up. I agree with most everyone else; pick obe arrow around 425-450 grains and call it good at the OP's draw weight and length.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can shoot a fast bow well, theres no reason not to.. You can shoot a heavier arrow. The problem I have is when people throw a tooth pick of an arrow on those things wanting crazy speeds and wonder why they won't tune. Spine matching is also way more important

17. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Im at 550 gr right now and that theory didn't seem to work

18. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally i like a heavier arrow and try not to get over 285 for speed for the reason that its a little easier to tune a fixed blade broadhead. that being said at 287fps and 500grains you will be blowing through animals no problem. Assuming you only hunt whitetails that is more then enough weight and speed and if you decide to go on a elk hunt or anyother bigger animal that weight,speed, and KE is a great choice. again though this is all just my opinion take it as it is or leave it but id go with the 500grains if it was me.

19. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    coming from this if a deer is going to duck an arrow its going to duck regardless of speed due to the fact that arrows are significantly slower then the speed of sound having even if you had 400 fps on that bow im willing to bet deer will still duck. the difference is to have a relaxed deer vs a alert deer.

20. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Right, but even so it won't hurt to make them a little faster while still haveing enough momentum to punch through.