ozonics scent control? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jacob, Jul 9, 2014.

1. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A guy at work told me he just got one of these. I haven't heard of it. I guess it creates an ozone around you and blocks scent. What do you guys think? At a price tag of 400 dollars I would hope it worked!

Ozonics - In the Field Ozone Generator

2. Kountryboy1911

Kountryboy1911 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I see them on the hunting channels but actually wanted to know the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear they work well, but too much money for me.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel it is gorilla dust, it would be like peeing in the gulf of mexico to warm it up. Ozone is not good for the lungs in dosages required for the product to work as promised.

5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Even if it worked, I've been killing deer for years without one. I'll spend my $400 on something else.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like a shoulder mount of the buck you shot while playing the wind;)

7. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hey! I think yer on to something here!

8. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one last year, used it but didn't see any deer to know if it worked or not. I plan to use it this year again to see if I get sniffed out. I'll put an honest report on here later this year.

9. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    looking forward to it! I don't have the confidence in the product yet to spend that kind of cash.

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea its just the the supplement industry. They say anything to get you to think you will get some great results! Not buyin into it.

11. Aubie923

Aubie923 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The guy that owns my local pro shop swears by them. He said that the rep that originally tried to sell them to them loaned him a unit to try. He said that he went to a stand knowing that he would get busted because of the wind direction that day. He also said that he didn't use Scentloc that afternoon. He said 6 does came out down wind of him and never knew that he was there. He says that he won't go to the woods without one now.

The guys at this shop have never tried to sell me something that I didn't need. For that reason, I don't think that he was just trying to make a sale. However, I don't think I'm ready to drop $400.00 on one just yet.

12. bbslayr

bbslayr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one knowing i have until the wnd of the calendar year to return it if it didnt work. Had many deer and a bear come in down wind. Im sold i love it

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. Rusker

Rusker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got my buck this year coming in down wind of me. I have had good encounters using the Ozonics. The deer still smell something but they don't seem to know what. But they didn't get spooked and blow out of the area like they do when they smell me with out the Ozonics. I'm not trying to sell these it's just my experience with it. I'll keep using mine.

14. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been ignoring them for years but keep hearing people rave about them so i broke down and bought one. So far no real test on them. I plan on doing lots of hog hunts with it this year.

With that said, hears what i know so far. The battery that comes with them last about five hours and they have a 10 to 11 hour battery and thats what you'd want to get for all day hunts.

There's also a fan that blows ozone out over you so when hanging above you, turn it upside down so the fan isn't as loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a very good thread for me and its perfectly timed. I have a bit of experience here, not with actually owning any of these products, but from a friend who uses and I've witnessed a few things first hand.

First, I got to put a few of my "stinky" clothing items in his Scent Crusher closet. He told me that he has a blanket that he keeps on his couch because his lab likes to lay on it. The blanket would eventually smell like a dog of course. He decided one day to test this closet out so he through the blanket in there and put it on a half hour cycle. Blanket came out smelling like ozone of course, but when it dissipated, he was shocked that it did not smell like his dog at all. So, I have a cabelas brand wool fatigue sweater (warmest thing I've ever bought btw), that I can't wash being pure wool. It gets a bit of a funk to it eventually. I put it in there for 30 minutes and after letting it air out, there was not detectable smell. This made me a believer in the ozone scent control stuff.

Now, I will never use a tree mounted gadget. I just don't feel like having yet another thing to setup in the tree when I climb in. I'm also not so sure its the safest thing being that its documented that Ozone isn't the healthiest thing for us to breath in. But the closets, totes, etc that you can use to treat your clothing in, you bet I'm on board. In fact, I just got a great deal through my local shop on a Scent Crusher closet for next season. The nice thing about it is that it packs down flat and can be taken on trips, etc. Plus all my gear will fit in it.

Now to the bad that I learned. Ozone WILL eat any elastic. So waist bands, etc., will eventually loosen up. It bears mentioning that if you have any high priced gear, like I have Sitka, that any elastic will eventually deteriorate to some degree. I looked at my stuff and most of which doesn't have any elastic so I should be safe. But, reading the documentation on Scent Crusher, its about using common sense as much as anything. A 10 or 15 minute cycle on clean clothing is more than adequate and will save your clothing as well. Its the much longer cycles that really puts a hurting on the elastic.

So, my plan with the closet is to still wash my clothing at regular intervals, for me usually twice during season, then line dry and hang out to air out. I'll use short burst of the closet before each hunt to keep my clothes scent free between hunts and washes. I think doing so will go a long way in preserving my clothing and also keeping it much more scent free between hunts.

As for the tree mounted ozonics. They are not loud, but are definitely noticeable. I had a laugh at my buddy who uses one. He said he shut his off mid morning during out hunt in Missouri last fall. He said he was amazed how quiet it was out there with it off! :lol:

16. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone I would like to give my to cents on the ozonics I love bow hunting and enjoy all the new gadgets that come with it I was hesitant to try ozonics mainly because of price but I wanted to know if it worked period so this season I tried it and in my opinion it worked better then doing nothing I found that deer still noticed something present but did not just spook as a avid white tail hunter who travels to multiple states in the quest to harvest muture Bucks all of our decisions are based on wind stand locations entrance and exit I was able to take a 165 inch buck in Illinois this year do to ozonics let me explain it was around holloween the temps were 65 or more during the day I new I had to get down to the creek bottoms were there was good canopy I was able to determine with Google maps the area between a cut cornfield and a bedding area in a maze of deep hollows the winds were coming from the south west the bedding area was west of the corn I set up on a north south ridge at creek bottom 60 yes west of corn if the deer moved down thru the creek to feed in the field in the evening I would score and that's what happened were the ozonics comes in to play is the does and smaller bucks that were using the ridge and creek for water to keep cool I was on stand at 12:30 in the after noon knowing I would be there all afternoon with swirling winds in the bottoms I was able to stay in the game because I did not spook the local deer moving around me till mr big got up to go to the field to eat were I shot him at 5:15 at 32 yrds that deer was bedding 90 yrds to my west I witnessed him get up out of his bed but did not know he was there till he moved we all play the wind as bow hunters but this product helped me stay undetected till my deer came out