Does Anyone Have Opinions on Climbing Tree Stands

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ThrowingRocks, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I'm relatively new here but it's a cool forum. Does anyone have any opinions on leveling tree stands? I've been searching around and can't really make up my mind on what to get. I've found a bunch of old reviews but nothing very current. There are some kind of funny posts over on archerytalk.com between equalizer and another brand (buckhorn I think?), but nothing that informative. I've also looked at few other brands. I usually hunt around 20' up and I'm afraid of heights, so I like the leveling stands. Any opinions?

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you hunt around 20 feet, look into a Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha with 4 climbing sticks. Much more versatile than a climber as you can get into almost any tree rather than just straight branch-less trees. After a short time you will be able to set it up quickly.

Then you will also be able to look down your nose and say "Lone Wolf *****es" when someone asks you what treestand you use.

3. Joe p

Joe p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand where you're coming from try a climber that you sit in not on the feeing of a stand that surrounds you is comforting and will build confidence being at such heights i use all lone wolf products but my go to stand is the tree walker climber and have used this climber with sticks to get into the right tree that stand is light quit and comfortable and I feel completely safe in it and when I climb good luck happy hunting

4. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I may be misunderstanding your question, but here's a response anyway. To make sure your platform and seat of the climber are level once you get at 20 feet, be sure they are aimed upward when you are fastening them to the tree; they should NOT be level at the ground. Trees are wider at the bottom and become narrow as you ascend. It will level itself at a certain point up the tree.

Don't get hung up on the need to be a certain height. If your silhouette is broken up, you could be only 12-15 feet off the ground and the deer never see you!

Also, Joe's advice (post #3) is very good advice. A climber with a shooting rail (or even a ladder stand with a shooting rail) does indeed make one feel more comfortable when off the ground.

I sit when using my climber (open shot, no rail) and I stand in my ladder (has a shooting rail). As you might have guessed, I'm not wild about heights, either. So, I compensate in the ways described.

5. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Very interesting information. I guess the biggest problem I've had is having to initially set the stand up not level. Even though it will level off in the end (for the most part), being like that for a bit can be rough. I guess I get a little nervous when the stand is even a little uneven. That's why the leveling tree stand seemed like a good idea to me.
    I was looking at the lone wolf stuff, they have some nice stands. Summit also makes some decent stuff.

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Using the sticks and lock on, you never have to step on an un-level stand or stick if that is the part that bothers you. The stands platforms are adjustable up and down for trees that lean. They are also adjustable for side to side lean using the batwing off set bracket.

Lone Wolf *****es....

7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buckeye is correct. It does sound like lock-ons and ladder sticks (or a simple ladder stand) is the way to go, sir. I did indeed misunderstand what was scary to you!

8. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll go that route. Thanks guys!

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hang on and sticks will certainly get you into pretty much any tree you desire and is a very versatile setup. Lone Wolf is the best out there.

It also depends on the area you hunt and what types of trees you have around. Where I hunt, most of my trees are oaks; straight, no branches. Climber or hang on, really doesn't matter as you're still searching for the best available cover in the spot to get into the tree. I use a Lone Wolf Climber almost exclusively anymore simply because I don't have to mess with much to get up the tree and setup quickly.

10. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess maybe the climbers are a bit much to tote around. I have an old equalizer but it needs parts and I believe they went out of business. I really liked it and all that, but the lone wolf stand are definitely nice looking. I hunt in NC so it's most pine around here.

11. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks again for all the comments. I ended up holding off for a bit and a friend of mine is going to give me an old Lone Wolf he has. I offered him my old Equalizer for trade but he wouldn't hear of it.

12. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, lucky you! Enjoy it, great stands! I use both a LW Hand Climber and a LW hang on w/ sticks....love them both!

ThrowingRocks likes this.
  13. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's very good to hear!

14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned a lot of climbers: API (forget the model maybe the bowhunter), old climber with the vbars, Ol'Man (original steel not newer aluminum), Summit (open shot and viper), Loggy Bayou, and Lone Wolf (handclimber and sit & climb wide). The only way I will sell my LW's is if it is to buy a new model :) .

15. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Summits have always been good. I was going to go with LW but decided to stick with my Equalizer. I was a little worried because I thought they were out of business, but they're not. Ordering a second EQ as I type.

16. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You live in North Carolina as I do. The Midwest guys are saying get an alpha with sticks and that is a good idea but in North Carolina we have mostly straight limbless trees. I would recommend a summit Viper as they are comfortable and fast. Unless you're going to hunt the Midwest the southeast has plentiful straight. limbless trees. Go with the summit I have tried them all. No need for leveling. You will get used to the angle that you put the stand on the tree. The summit is more comfortable than 99% of the stands out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And for the record I own a summit Viper, a millennium M 100U, a Lonewolf wide sit and climb, a lone wolf regular sit and climb, a Lonewolf hand climber, a Lonewolf alpha with four sticks, a Guido's web and a tree walker so I have a good idea for tree stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Which ever route you go. Don't forget a harness with a lines man belt

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. ThrowingRocks

ThrowingRocks Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^Very good advice!