Poll: Food Plot Implement Value

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TwoBucks, Jan 25, 2017.

?

What would you be willing to spend on a Food Plot implement

1. Less than $500

44.4%
  2. $500-$1000

22.2%
  3. $1000-$1500

22.2%
  4. More than $1500

11.1%
  1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is the widest anyone would want a food plot implement? Would any of you guys be interested in say a 12ft planter with 4ft folding wings on either side?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would be amazing but what would it take to pull and operate something of that size and still give it the amount of steel to make it durable.

3. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Im thinking that most modern side by sides in low gear should be able to pull it. Your only going to be going 3-5 mph and since its not meant to work the ground there isn't a ton of power needed in that respect. 12' would be heavy but with good bearings it should roll fairly easy?

If weight begins to become a problem, a guy could look into either an aluminum frame or aluminum packing wheels.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it small enough to fit in the back of a pickup or small ATV trailer. Otherwise it simply won't work for guys like me, it will require a big trailer or owned property where I can store it onsite where I plan to use it. I believe the majority of your market if targeting ATV guys will be people that lease ground somewhere and have to travel.

5. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    If it folds up, with will still fit on a trailer. I don't think you can make a quality planter that would fit in a pick up especially with the fourwheeler too. I hear your concern, but I don't know how that would work. Im thinking it will be 8-10ft long with the tongue and 4-6 ft wide folded if I go that direction.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The most important thing that atv's or utv's lack is weight. They have plenty of power but not enough weight to start moving or keep moving something that is fairly awkward.
    We finally broke down and bought a small tractor. They are cheaper than an atv or utv. Storing and hauling can be an issue though.

7. Rman

Rman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you put enough weight to keep settings in the ground thats going to be a lot of weight. Is this going to be no till style or must disc before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. Rman

Rman Newb

Dislikes Received:
  9. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    The soil bed would have to be prepared first using a disc or tiller.

10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    While I agree with you that ATVs are not as good at pulling as a tractor, I have pulled a empty Badger 950 chopper box up a slight incline with a kawasaki 650 fourwheeler. I dont think I can build a foodplot implement that weighs more than a chopper box ;)

I have also used our old Polaris Ranger 700 to launch and pull out our Alumacraft 1850 boat. I think as long as I am not working the ground such as a disc or digger, Most full sized ATVs will handle it well. May need a large UTV if I make a 12' model.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've pulled 650 bushel gravity boxes almost full with our 850 Polaris but that doesn't mean I should!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

12. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chopper box rolls and a planter has the dirt drag on ya. To row crop are you going to double disk openers. If you have ground tilled weight of machine wouldn't need to be real heavy then. We use a three point tiller broadcast then drag come out pretty good food plot

13. Rman

Rman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely curious about final product and price. I think would sale for quality product at a reasonable cost. I reall can't see a real need for 12' most no tills just 6' to 8'.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    But remember, I'm not using double disc openers and row units. There will be some drag but only 2" through tilled soils

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

15. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    First model will most likely be a 4' planting width. Not going to expand until I have all the concepts proven and there is interest in the product. First one will be for my own good..

16. Gator Dale

Gator Dale Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen a rolling drum style used for pastures that aerate the ground and seed That would work to seed and pack. Come single or double rollers I'm interested in your thoughts of design. They tell I'm an engineer without the paper degree. So I'm trying to picture how this unit is going look and work. I'm going to enjoy watching this post and how it develop watch the ideas and first run product

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  17. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Id like to make as close to a working model as possible out of wood first so I can iron out any details that need work.