Filming Your Hunts/Challenges That Come With It

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by whitetaildna, Dec 30, 2016.

1. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't film bc I don't care what others think.

And if you say that's not the core reason you film, you're lying.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Interesting perspective. But quite honestly you can't assume what other people think or why they do what they do. If you don't care what other people think why bother posting anything at all.

3. whitetaildna

whitetaildna Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have friends that film all their hunts, and not another person sees it, unless they want advice after a shot, or an encounter, etc. I don’t think it’s smart to judge the reasons behind what others do. People can film for their own pleasure, or use it as a tool, not to try and be liked by others.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Already got a deal on a G20 that will be coming my way, saw what you got and good deal for it all

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some most definitely do this others most definitely do not. Others yet enjoy it, enjoy sharing it and could care less what people think...

For someone who doesn't care about what others think it appears you give it quite a bit of thought.

6. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent article! I could have used that write up when I started ...I have been self filming for 3 seasons now. The first season was a complete bust. I messed up almost every single time I had an encounter, BUT I learned from each mistake and tried to evolve accordingly. The big thing for me was commiting to the consistency of taking my camera and gear to the woods each time I went because the one time you don't you'll wish that you had!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Completely false...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em likes this.
  8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what makes you think you have insight into other peoples though process. I most certainly do not care what other people think. I film because I enjoy it. I enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction I get from it. I'm not looking for approval from anyone.

If you see my hunt and get some enjoyment out of it, that's great. If not, no sweat off my back.

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em likes this.
  9. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started filming because I wanted try it out and wanted a new challenge.

My Camera Arm is completely homemade. I had my dad cut down some old square tubing he had laying around. I mounted it with c-claps to the side of my ladder stand. I took the fluid head off an old tri-pod and pieced it all together.
    [​IMG]

Phone mount comes from Game Stick LLC. https://www.gamestickllc.com/ and mounts right to my stabilizer.
    [​IMG]

Hunt filmed with Video Camera:
    Click image to watch....
    [​IMG]

Hunt filmed with iPhone on the Game Stick mount:
    Click image to watch....
    [​IMG]

My biggest issue right now is my old JVC camera films in a .mod format. Prior to Windows 10 I could convert it. Now I'm having trouble converting it and the tools I've found either have sound but no video or show the video and no sound (like the example hunt above). So I've got a bunch of footage that is just sitting here.

It takes patience for sure. you have to make a decision is shooting a deer more important or getting footage. That's a personal choice. For me, it really depended on the situation and the deer coming through.

10. whitetaildna

whitetaildna Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I love how you talk about how you learn from each mistake. So many people may find it hard right away, and give up on it. I already know that two, three, four, etc. years from now, I'll look back and be light years better than I was this past season. It's a steep learning curve, but the added challenge is awesome.

tree_ghost likes this.
  11. whitetaildna

whitetaildna Newb

Dislikes Received:
  12. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This coming fall will be my first year filming my hunts. This will definitely help me for sure. Starting out small incase I decide I don't want to anymore: bow hanger, muddy micro arm, and fluid head and camera. Hopefully I eventually get a good arm and better camera if I decide I want to keep it up. Thanks for your help

13. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're right! (About bothering to post)

14. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a smart phone? If so, try a phone mount (like I mentioned I use on page 2 of this thread). You'll have a better zoom and it doesn't cost anything except the mount.

15. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about that but I figured the quality would be better with a action camera. I will try that out though.

Your friendly neighborhood Bow Hunter
    Shed Hunting Team 3
    Excalibur Phoenix
    Carbon Express 380 grains
    Rage Hypodermic 125 grains

16. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im gonna bookmark this and read it while in the stand tonight.

Ive been filming my hunts since 2008. Have learned alot...but also am still learning. Its takes a BIG jump to go from amateur style filming to becoming Bill Weinke and Mark Drury.

You can find my media in my signature. We do a web series, short films and alot of trail camera stuff as well.

17. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never fealt any motivation to film my hunts. Hunting is my time. It's a solitary thing for me. I have no interest in sharing my hunts with the world by putting videos of them on the web. I do enjoy sharing kill photos and telling stories. I very rarely ever watch hunting shows and if I do it's not whitetail hunts. That last thing I want to be concerned about when getting ready for a shot at an animal is quality of video footage. I have nothing against those who film their hunts. It's just not what hunting is about for me. To each their own I guess.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  18. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at my post on page 2. This is with my iPhone 6s. I think it's better than what you would get with a gopro.

19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just read through most of this. Great thread. Wish we had more involvement in the videography section of the forums, especially since this website has one of the better webshows on the net.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that I forgot to add in my original post that is critical is to get a couple of extra batteries for your camera and to make sure they're charged before you climb in the stand. You need the extra batteries to keep the camera rolling all the time. It's happened to me on several occasions when I honestly didn't have time to get the camera turned on before the woods exploded. It can really be a pain in the butt when you go to edit that much footage but in the end it may be the difference in capturing your kill on camera or missing it…