Cold Steel Plastic Broadhead

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Innovative Outdoorsman, Jan 10, 2017.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A cheap arrow with a cheap tip will serve to encourage making poor shot choices because the loss of the arrow isn't all that great.

I agree that it might be a good option for varmint plunking though.

2. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought it was plastic with embedded steel blades. I didn't realize the entire thing is plastic.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I had to guess, I'd say that these plastic heads are likely stronger (less brittle) and poss. sharper than knapped stone heads. Just saying...

4. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a chance!!! The set I bought to try are solid plastic that couldn't cut butter on a hot day.
    Possibly good for small game, wing shooting and perhaps turkey. To hunt anything larger than a fox you'd be an unethical Bowhunter.
    Did you happen to view my video review?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I don't get the mindset that goes into a person using this type of product.

1) It is PLASTIC!
    2) I very much doubt that little if any time goes into insuring that the product quality is there from tip to threaded insert. Meaning, from one head to the next is there any consistency even for straightness of the actual head? If it isn't straight then it isn't going to fly right at all.
    3) You are putting a plastic head on an already expensive arrow in most cases. So when that plastic feral snaps off flush with the insert you are going to play heck salvaging your expensive arrow, unless you have a set of easy outs (which most don't have, nor know how to use).
    4) The manufacturer brands it as such and many have said this ... that this would be great for when that coyote walks by. Really? Look I hate yotes as much as anyone, but if we are going to kill something then as a hunter don't we owe that animal the most quickest cleanest death possible? I highly doubt that these heads are going to tune to fly as well as the many quality heads on the market, so are you going to hit that yote where you are aiming? Shoot that yote with a quality head that flies true and replace/resharpen the blades when done. Why screw around with junk? To save a couple bucks ... really?
    4) Great turkey head ... yea right! Again ... is this head really made to tolerances to prove that it can fly accurately to hit that tiny kill zone on a bird? Believe it or not those feathers can be tough to break through and I see that "napped" looking edge slowing down from feathers going in.
    5) Again ... it is PLASTIC!

No thanks, I will stick with one of the many quality steel heads on the market before I will shoot a plastic head. Life is too short and I take my hunting too seriously to shoot a $1 head vs a $10-$15 head at any animal.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Actually they are all quite exact in tolerance. They all fly very well. For plastic they are quite tough. Are they a good hunting broadhead? HELL NO THEY'RE NOT!!!
    They would be a good head for small game but so are wing nuts and many other manufactured and homemade heads. Would they be good for wing shooting pheasant? I think most likely. Would the be good for turkey maybe but why try. Would they be good for yotes? Yeah, though I don't know of anyone that just hunts yotes with a bow that's not hunting other game.

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much agree with what you said VA Bowbender ... I just don't know that I expressed it properly. I find it hard to believe that they are made to exact tolerances, but I have been wrong before. I know that I am not going to drop a dollar to try one out so I will let others be the judge of their manufacturing quality.

I still say that no way am I hunting even something as small as a rabbit with one.

8. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok the liquid filled bottle sold me!! How can anyone resist explosions and fire!! Where do I sign up?

9. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, don't bother.
    BTW they're $10.00 for 10 but $10.00 shipping. So it actually is $2.00 each. Still not a bad price for just screwing around and doing a review.

10. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some for the very reason of "first hand knowledge" and posted in the Equipment Reviews forum. I wouldn't use them on a deer or elk hunt, but I was careful when handling them...

The actual cutting is similar to a serrated steak knife, not so much from clean slicing. As far a legality, you couldn't use them in my home state for any big game animal (includes turkeys). You couldn't used a knapped stone head even if you were the world champion at it...

11. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    If you want a good comparison of a serrated broadhead compare it to a Magnus Buzzcut

12. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    would these blades be better if they were straight edge and not serrated?

13. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Nah, you just can't make plastic sharp enough. They need better technology to get it right.
    Flint, chert, obsidian, glass, steel all have the needed sharpness.

14. roadrunner

Dislikes Received:
    I meant that it rips and tears more than slices. The composite is too malleable to retain much of a straight edge, or serrated for that matter.

15. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Intersting irony Cold Steel makes plastic broad heads.

16. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard good things about Cold Steel knives. I've only seen 1 and I was not overly impressed.

17. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Actually a good serrated knife doesn't rip or tear. It will slice as well as a straight edge.

18. roadrunner

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough.