Late Season Layering

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bossbucks25, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Heater Body Suit, freaking hated it. I'm a skinny dude, 6', 160lbs, zero body fat, and that thing was just so incredibly bulky. How guys can get that thing on while up in a stand is beyond me. I felt like sasquatch! Now I go with a thick Merino wool base layer, then a couple layers of thinner fleece, and topped with heavy berber wind stopper fleece over that. A thick wind stopper fleece hood and a similar fleece hat, or even two, over that. Gotta wear a sleeve on the bow arm to keep all that material away from the string.

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    that's a good piece of advice....cost me a deer many years ago.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    remember to spray feet/pits with anti-persperantant. it really helps

4. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody used an IWOM suit? Been looking into getting one. Looks like it's similar to the HBS except the top is like a jacket so you wouldn't have to mess with unzipping and moving too much to make the shot.

5. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an IWOM. I was all about it up until it shrank on me (even ordered one size big) and the zipper broke. I only had it for 1 year, washed it with cold water and never dried it on anything but delicates. When I called them they told me i washed it in hot water and dried on high heat, which i never did. They said they couldnt do anything about the shrinking and proceeded to charge me $60 to fix a zipper. I was pissed to say the least. I would also note that it can be loud and hard to get in and out of at times. I can no longer wear it as i cant fit in it anymore, what a waste of money.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. Shuuter

Shuuter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you tried Kings Camo? I'm trying to decide what system to get for next year and I'm stuck between Kings, Scent Lok and Under armour.

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The key is not putting more layers on the colder it gets. Its choosing the right layers. When I first started hunting I would get all bundled up to make a 20 min. hike down into our swamp where I first started gun hunting with my dad. I looked like the kid on "The Christmas Story" where he could barely move and his arms stuck out. Needless to say, I froze alot.

Now, layers and clothing are soooo much better than what we had 20 years ago. I like using under armour cold gear 3.0 for my long johns or that first layer. ( or the 4.0) if its pretty cold. Then I wear a nice fleece of some sort over that. My next layer is a Windshear sweater. Its a heavier sweater and they cost about 80-100 bucks but they are worth it.

Then all you gotta wear after that is a good jacket. I currently have the Cabelas MT050 with gortex and thinsulate.

4 total layers and I'm usually good in the low teens.

Now if I know i'm going to be on stand awhile I'll skip the fleece and wear my Milwaukee Heated vest as my 2nd layer before i put my windshear sweater on. With the layer over the vest it holds it tight to the body so you can feel more of the heat when I turn it on. This past year I bought the bigger battery so on medium it lasts like 10 hours. It doesnt get you cooking up in the tree but it really takes the chill out.

8. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in Mississippi, live and hunt in Texas, and plan to retire in the Caribbean. I'd rather just kill them in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I upgrade my base layers this summer. It had been many, many, years since I have changed. I was beginning to have too many on.
    I went with the Sitka Merino wool, my mid layer is the Sitka heavy weight, I know it has a name but I don't remember it, next is the first version of the UA treestand base layer. It is thicker than their newer version. It works well at keeping the wind a by. I then wear the Sitka heavy weight bow hunters vest which has wind stop in it. My outer layer is mad by Day One camouflage out of Colorado. It is fleece with windstopper in it as well. I wear a coat instead of the jacket just for more coverage. I wear the Sitka face mask if there is any wind. I wear a stocking cap most all winter. I usually wait until I get to the stand to put my hat on just to let excessive heat from the walk in to escape. I've lost about 15 lbs since September so it makes everything "fit" better.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  10. tlarsen4715

tlarsen4715 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As for a mid layer on top, the old army issue wool sweaters work great. Also the older army issue black fleece system works well with sweat pants and. Sweat shirt underneath and a medium insulated jacket/pants combo or cover all's. As for feet, I wear 1800g thinsulate irish setters pretty much all winter doing construction in central MN. My feet sweat in them from walking but I haven't had an issues with them ice fishing either

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums