just curious..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Jan 19, 2017.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt early archery season. It opens first Saturday of October then runs to the second Saturday of November. We then have no deer hunting for two weeks and then rifle season (First Monday after thanksgiving and runs just shy of two weeks).

I hunt all of early season. If I don't get a deer - I go out in rifle to get one (once I get one I'm done, hate rifle hunting and I just go to get meat in the freezer).

Our late season is only like 2 and a half weeks. By then we're buried in snow and I'm over it. I hate the cold.

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have a long gun season in SC and I am a lifelong gun hunter who just finished his first bow season. I had approximately thirty sits, only two with a rifle, and that was during an outfitted hunt for his morning sits only. Next fall should be the same deal. Absolutely love everything about bowhunting.

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I did for many years, it got to where firearm just didn't do it for me anymore. Went strictly archery back in 2005

4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In NC on private land I only bowhunt, but ill be back in PA next year and only have access to Public land, then I will have to bring the rifle out if I still have tags left then, too much pressure on Public land where Im at

5. RyanW

RyanW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Recently I started taking my KY rifle flintlock in firearms season. It's not a bow, but it's a challenge and it's lots of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bowhunt as much as I can during bow season. During Shotgun season I have very limited time, but make it out a couple of times during that. late season muzzleloader I do get some time and go w/ the smokepole... my bow spots dry right up once gun starts.

7. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have taken my GF out the last two shotgun seasons. Aside from that I feel like I need to patrol the property to keep trespassers out. It is a waste of vacation days but if I'm not there it's just a matter of time before somebody comes on the property for one reason or another.

If I didn't fill my buck tag before gun season I would fill it if a shooter presented an opportunity.

9. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy both equally but for different reasons.

10. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    95 % bow, Depends on who I am hunting with as well as where I am hunting. Greatly prefer bow over gun. Much better rush.

11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't hunted with a gun since 1996...

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will use a handgun, shotgun or flintlock during the gun seasons.

13. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do own a Browning 308 BAR, Hunted with it once, don't ever think i`ll hunt with it again. nothing like bowhunting!!

14. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up gun hunting with my dad, but since I really got into bowhunting 3 years ago I think I have hunted with a gun twice. My biggest buck to date was taken with a bow in 2015 and it is so much more gratifying to me to put in the work to get close enough and be able to make the shot with the stick and string. We haven't gotten to do it the last 2 years but normally myself, my dad & my brother in law will get together and have deer camp the opening weekend of rifle season and if that works out than I'll grab the 270 in a heart beat. Wouldn't trade that time together for anything.

15. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely prefer bow but I put just as much time in during shotgun, I hunt the same stands for both season. By time muzzleloader rolls around I'm usually tagged out or burned out. Ny season is long gives me a lot of time out in the woods

16. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunted with a gun for 2 or 3 seasons. Killing deer with a gun just felt so unfair and unnatural to me. I loved being in the woods, but actually disliked killing deer with a gun. I was gonna give up hunting altogether until I got turned on to bowhunting. Switched to bow over 30 years ago, and have no plans to go back. When my body breaks down to where I can't pull a bow, I'll hang it up.

17. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do just bow...I just started in the 2015 season and have taken a couple deer so far with a bow. I wish sometimes I would have a rifle with me up in my tree stands because I could have definitely had a shot on a couple nice deer that were not quite in bow range. I think it is more challenging and rewarding to do it with the stick and string. Everyone can shoot a deer with a rifle for the most part.