NFL Divisional Round Predicitions

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Siman/OH, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BowCommander, thank you for the kind words. I too have the feeling the Cowboys are going to get it done in the next couple of years.

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went back and looked at the first meeting between GB and Atl. And I was surprised to see that the Packers may have had more injury problems that game than they do now. Defense is pretty close. Clay was out, and so were Randall and Rollins both. so our starting CB were Gunter and Goodson. As long as Burnett is ready to go we really are no worse off defensively.

Offensively, a lot is being made about missing Jordy, but again as I look back. TJ Lang was out, Cobb, Cook and Montgomery were all out. Our running backs were Don Jackson and Knile Davis. Having Montgomery in the backfield is an improvement over Week 8 and The Combination of Cook and Cobb is no worse than a push with missing Jordy. Adams has improved and so has Geronimo who also played the first meeting.

Now I'm not as informed about the injury status of Atl for both games, but I'm feeling more confident after looking back.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it'll be a shootout with Ryan having 4 touchdowns and winning it.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know Atlanta will want this game bad. They have to be sick of losing in the playoff. Matt Ryan will have a chip on his shoulder. Not sure how he will respond.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Matt Ryan (with a chip on his shoulder) < Aaron Rogers

6. BowCommander

BowCommander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Atlanta & Green Bay are similar offenses, in the sense that both teams are explosive in their passing game and have elite quarterbacks.... Aaron Rodgers obviously is a better QB than Matt Ryan, but Ryan has the best receiver in the game with Julio Jones, which helps him also. If you break this game down, here's what I'd give it...

QB- GB
    Receivers- Atlanta
    RB- Atlanta
    O-Line- GB
    Defense: GB
    Kicker: GB

I have GB winning by a score, but definitely going to be a close one.

GB Vs. Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't compare Careers (Aaron Rodgers is obviously in a different league than Matty Ice there).... That said, you guys are writing off Ryan too quickly if you compare the two QBs THIS YEAR. Matt Ryan has been far more consistent this season, and the better QB overall. Still doesn't mean Rodgers won't go all A A Ron next weekend and obliterate the Falcons, but to write it off that GB has the better QB currently is being dismissive. The stats don't lie. Rodgers finished the season strong, but that's forgetting how he started the year. The Falcons have been consistent all season long.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, setting at 4-6 appeared daunting and I thought at best realism said 8-8 maybe 9 if miracles happen...but AR changed and team picked it up BIG time. This game, this weekend though I see as the biggest challenge yet out of them all in Atlanta against one of the best WRs in the game (our secondary is in the infirmary) and the hottest QB in the game this year.

That all said look at what we have heading into the Conference Championships QB wise:

Tom Brady - Arguably the most accomplished QB..some would say all time, but easily out of active QB today. I despise his team, his coach and sadly by default himself. However, what he is doing is quite remarkable especially the physical resurgence he seems to be going through with his revamped diet and such.

Ben Roethlisberger - Arguably the toughest and hardest to bring down QBs of all time. No he isn't the skillset laden QB many think you have to be, but he is solid throughout his game, loves the big stage and has come through more than nearly any other QB active at this level of the game.

Aaron Rodgers - Arguably the most gifted QB to play. Ryan Clark on ESPN may have said it best, "Aaron Rodgers' running and passing abilities make him the most physically talented quarterback he's ever seen play." Now he's not saying AR is the best ever, but his physical skillset in his opinion is unmatched from anyone he's seen play. I agree, when AR is playing to the level he has at times and is right now...I don't believe we've seen another QB do what he's done.

Matt Ryan - Arguably making the case as the cream of the "next generation" (post Brady/Brees/Manning/Rodgers) type class, although that has always seemed odd to me as he is just 2 years Rodgers minor. Either way the dude this year specifically is on the same level and arguably ABOVE the others playing this weekend. Has he proven himself in the playoffs yet or big games? Many would agree no, but he has played too good to blow off THIS YEAR.

My picks for the weekend:

Green Bay 44 Atlanta 41 - I think somehow, someway Clay and Peppers and Perry apply some serious pressure rushing only 3 or 4 to assist the depleted (bordering on non-existent) secondary in GB. Crosby continues to come up big but I think he misses one which brings the nerves...I don't trust Matty Ice as a GB fan and am merely hoping we have the ball last.

UPSET pick Steelers 27 New England 20 - Yup, for some reason I sense the Steelers are going to step up and get in Brady's face. Pressure is key and if they get it they will beat them! AB is going to be out to prove something and Bell...well he's Bell.

9. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my gripe. We can all agree that everyone thought there was something wrong with Rodgers in the first 10 games. Thing is, he almost as good overall stats than Matt Ryan over those 10 games. And this is arguably Rodgers worst stretch of his career. Rodgers is so good that his bad stretches are still great.
    Rodgers- 63% completion, 28 total tds, 2700 yds, 7 picks
    Ryan- 68% completion, 22 tds, 3200 yds, 5 picks

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another coin flip of a game. I think the pack might run out of gas here though. That was an emotional win last weekend. If the Packers just had one or two more guys in the secondary healthy again then I think they win it all. But they don't.

Steelers upset the Pats.

Steelers win another SB.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Both of your picks are upset picks.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Agree but Green Bay is less of one than Steelers :biggrin:

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

There is only 1 point difference in the point spread between NE/Pitt and GB ATL. But I think the ATL-4.5 is too high. I expect it to be within a TD. -3.5 sounds about right. I'd put money on the Pack with that spread.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brad the bigger spread on Atlanta would favor you if you wagered on the Packers.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No kidding. You don't say?

I'm saying I think the spread is too high at -4.5 and it should be -3.5. Thus I would bet on the Packers at -4.5

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Home field is 3 points, I believe the home field for the NFC championship game should be worth 4- 4-1/2 as a standard. They may have the spread at 4-1/2 to encourage Packer fans to wager. The sports books in Las Vegas have been taking a beating this playoff season they may put spreads out there you would not normally see for this weekend.

As far as the Packers I have the same feeling of quiet confidence that I did last week when logic said it was possible but certainly not probable. I would not wager a penny on the game and I bet the dogs won't even want to sit on the couch with me when I watch the game.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I may have read your post without my reading glasses on, my bad. Don't know what is worse not remembering where I put my damn glasses or not figuring out how to blow up the fonts on my laptop.:mad:

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think Ty brings up a good point. Peppers has been waiting for a superbowl his whole career. That is why he came to GB. This is likely his last shot. I expect him to give 110% sunday and be a factor.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Many keys to the game but honestly I think one of, if not the biggest, is the pressure we can put on without having to blitz...I'll add Daniels to the list mentioned above in my previous post as well. It is the only way we can "level" the playing field some on the back half of the field. Ryan is RIDICULOUS but make him move he isn't as good....very few are (Rodgers an exception).

20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Of course I'm going to go with my Patriots! I think it's going to be a close game for awhile,(into the third quarter) but the patriots will pull away when the Steelers go into desperation mode being a few points down. Big Ben scares me when he goes outside of the pocket, just like Rodgers does.

As far as ATL and GB, I really think ATL is finally for real. But Rodgers is a miracle man, and will save the day for Green Bay again.

GB Vs NE in houston