MA stand up

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by YoungGun413, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am in zone 11 and its true alot of great bucks were dropped out here this year seemed like every day I saw another online. But I would ask you what you're looking for and how much time you have to scout and be down here in zone 11 its alot of small tracts of woods and alot of off limits conservation land so finding the right spot can be tricky. I have been in a large piece of woods and seen nothing and then walk through the small area across the street and have tracks everywhere... not to mention the competition with the smaller woods i find it harder to keep other people from setting up nearby.

But it obviously can be done. The results were massive this year and I had a couple great encounters this year. Just a matter of how much scouting time and how often you'll be able to hunt it. I hope you can get down here and check it out! It really is a under appreciated area everyone wants to head north or west but we have some great bucks out here in the suburbs!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    how did everyone make out in MA this year? My 12 year old daughter shot her first buck on the Oct 1 youth hunt w/ the muzzleloader. I shot a big 8 that dressed 202lb Oct 21 w/ the bow. I didn't see much until 12/26 late season where I shot a nice mature 9pt w/ the smokepole.

3. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great season! I know its a bowhunting site but I'd still love to hear the story/see the pictures of your late season 9pt!
    I had a pretty good season too for the time I had. I wasn't able to get out nearly as much as I wanted. Being in paramedic School and working full time took away most of my time to hunt but I was still able to connect on my big 130 lb dressed doe I posted on here and fill my freezer. I didn't shoot a buck but I did have a few good encounters with a big ten and a decent 8 that I couldn't get shots on but all in all I consider the season a win for being my second season out there. I'm counting down the days to next October already

4. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    This was my late season muzzleloader kill.
    Went up w/ my 10 year old daughter... 12/26.
    Freezing rain... everything was frozen.... could hear us walking a mile away. We went up to the ridge behind my house and saw the neighbor walking their dogs, so we went way up towards a power line. Thought maybe we'd catch the deer crossing over last light.
    We made it an hour before she was cold and couldn't sit still. She asked if we could move down to where we originally wanted to sit. I said, sure... at this point why not.
    We walk down to the original spot making a TON of noise and get situated... for the last 15 min of shooting light. I was just enjoying her company. Then we heard something walking down the gully behind us... we turned and got set up and out he came... shot him at about 40 yards. he made it about 20.
    2016 MA MZ 9pt 6.jpg

5. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    This was my late season muzzleloader kill.
    Went up w/ my 10 year old daughter... 12/26.
    Freezing rain... everything was frozen.... could hear us walking a mile away. We went up to the ridge behind my house and saw the neighbor walking their dogs, so we went way up towards a power line. Thought maybe we'd catch the deer crossing over last light.
    We made it an hour before she was cold and couldn't sit still. She asked if we could move down to where we originally wanted to sit. I said, sure... at this point why not.
    We walk down to the original spot making a TON of noise and get situated... for the last 15 min of shooting light. I was just enjoying her company. Then we heard something walking down the gully behind us... we turned and got set up and out he came... shot him at about 40 yards. he made it about 20.
    View attachment 74168
    2016 MA MZ 9pt 4.jpg

6. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool. That's great that you're getting her out there those memories will last forever! Great buck too just goes to show how it really can happen any time even when you least expect it

chmedoff likes this.
  7. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody gotten any pictures of bucks missing headgear? I feel like it's still early for mass but I've seen so many pics online I kinda want to start looking

8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually saw a rack buck chasing a doe by my house the other day.. very strange.. he was right on her and pushed her across the road. He still had his rack!
    I know guys are finding sheds though.

9. HuntingWesternMass

HuntingWesternMass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pioneer Valley, hunt zone 5, Team Hunting Western Mass. Right now we are pushing the Mass Sunday Hunting Initiative. Please sign it. Thanks!

10. HuntingWesternMass

HuntingWesternMass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My kids and grandkids live in Taunton, I think thats zone 11. My sons a Firefighter in Norton. Any tips for that area?

11. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    lots of deer in that area! Just need to get permission in the right spot.. more big bucks shot in zone 10 & 11 in MA these days than any other zone.

12. Ubnj1011

Ubnj1011 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  13. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there, I've been looking for a place to shoot....Anyone know of casual place to shoot some arrows.
    I live on the top of RT 93 and commute to work in Cambridge so I'm going up and down 93 A LOT.....
    We have a place in western NH but it would be nice to practice closer to home....
    Not a lot of Archery Shops around anymore, use to be one in Tewksbury and another in Stoneham years ago but they are long gone..
    I'd rather use someone local then Bass Pro if possible so if you folks know of a place, I'll check it out.

Thanks as always for the help...
    Eddy

14. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey eddy,
    I live in Boston but I am from Marshfield down route 3, I am a member of the rod and gun club there and we have an archery range out to fifty yards and a 3d target set up on a trail through the woods, where we host 3d shoots a few times a year. The indoor gun range also doubles as a archery range out to 25 yards I think. Indoor is open 24/7 to members. I know it's in the opposite direction of your work but its a nice little range. Good gun range as well with a new skeet field, 200 yard rifle range and a stocked fishing pond so if any of those other things interest you I'd say its worth looking into its a great group of guys and a great club. As far as a shop reedys in Middleboro is worth the drive they're the best around in my opinion.
    Just some ideas, I can't speak to places closer to you because I just don't know. The 3d archery league we are a part of is the tri-county archery league so if you look that up im sure there is a place closer to you to go shoot.

chmedoff and Eddy G like this.
  15. Eddy G

Eddy G Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Marshfield? That's like ....The Cape!........hahaha
    I'm going to need a pass port if I'm going south of Quincy........
    I grew up on the north side of Bunker Hill and never really ventured south of its shadow until I was old enough to drive.
    There are a few clubs around my area, Tewksbury, Billerica, Tyngsboro, and there may even be one in Lowell....I was a member of the Woburn Sportsman Club (in Bedford) back in the late 80's early 90's.....It's an awesome club as I remember it but what I'm really looking for is something more casual then a membership / club.....Just a place indoors or outdoors where I won't get arrested....or freak anyone out...

16. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
  17. Skuhzz

Skuhzz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,
    MA born and raised here. Just found this thread yesterday and I've really enjoyed reading all your stories! I recently got into archery a few months ago and have been loving it and planning on hunting this year for the first time ever. Really looking forward to doing some scouting, I will be hunting zone 10 so I was thinking of starting with Boxford State Forest and maybe Cedar Swamp in Reading. Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info on MA hunting so far and can't wait to hear more of your stories, hopefully I will have some of my own soon!

Huntnfishdaily likes this.
  18. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    how'd everyone's turkey season go?

19. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my brothers birds, we took them w shotguns but I figured I would share. I hand made the pot calls that were used to call them both in so that made it even sweeter!

I'm in zone 10 BTW and took my first deer last year with my bow! my freezer almost empty now (of deer.) Cmon October!

Attached Files:

20. HuntingWesternMass

HuntingWesternMass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Zone 5 I run Hunting Western Mass, do a little reporting for Field & Streams Rut Report. Love this site, got two outta three stands up and am very happy with their locations this year. Luck to all.
    PS Got my doe tag, anyone else??