HELP! Best broad head for large animals? Elk, Moose, Bear?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Beetle Bailey, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Tony.Loney

Tony.Loney Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exodus or look at dirt nap DRT .

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look at Soilds, VPA, slick tricks ect....

3. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Grizzly single bevel

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out of the fixed blade heads that I've tried, I've had gotten the best tunability and accuracy out of Slick Tricks by far. For me they quite literally flew with my field points out to 40 yards without any rest adjustments. This was after a French tune with field points to set up center shot.

Second place goes to the Wasp Drone. Just a couple minor adjustments and they are good to go.

G5 Montecs would not tune at all with my Synergy. Can't use them. With my old bow they worked just fine. On par with the Drone for tunability and flight.

Last and certainly leastis my experience with DRT from Dirt Nap. They did tune and hit with field tips after some work but they are noisy in flight.

I have no experience shooting them at anything other than deer so I will not comment on penetrating ability for large game.

Sent from my VS500 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At 28 yards I shot a cow elk with a Striker; heart shot almost perfect broadside (very slight quarter-to) one blade hit a rib, bent the blade severely and then the shaft veered hard towards the offside hip and the tip just poked rough the hide in the paunch. Hitting that rib deflected the arrow appx. 50 degrees. She only made it about 80-100 yards straight down the mountain but there was very little blood, most of which was from her nostrils.

They're very sharp and fly great but the steel is definitely not tough- at that distance it shouldn't have bent like that.

As far as the CXs...I tested those and while they would be fine on deer the bleeders are not very tough...I put one through my block target and into the 5/8 subfloor backer which was about 4' behind the block. It sheared the bleeders off in opposite directions.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017