Draw weight for whitetail

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by charlie250, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when i started i was shooting 55lb at a 28 DL and went up to 60LB. IMO its a good medium weight and i haven't had any problems.

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    40lbs with a fixed broadhead, a good arrow setup and a tuned bow made in the last 10 years or so and I wouldn't think twice about it.
    Even with my current setup of 29"@60# I don't feel comfortable taking a shot at an alert whitetail past 30yds.
    The thought that you "Need" 60+# on a thin skinned deer or that more poundage equals a more dead animal is silly.
    If you miss the vitals, you missed the vitals.
    My Wife shot her deer this year with her charger (IBO 325) 25"@40lbs with a montec at 30yds and just about did a pass through. It hit the leg on the way out.
    Now I would have preferred she opted for a closer shot, but it ain't my hunt.
    Her Arrows are a little on the light side and we'll either add tip weight or or change arrows for next year. But I doubt it would have changed the outcome on that particular shot.
    She can pull 45#, but can't after sitting for hours.
    I'm going to group tune my bow after season and if it ends up that my setup shoots better at 56lbs instead of 60, so be it.
    I'm not out to prove anything to anyone, but I do owe it to the animal to make the best shot I can.
    Speed if fine, accuracy is final.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I backed off from 72lbs to 52lbs because of shoulder injury. I'm back up to 59lbs and I'm going to stay there. Both deer I've shot with 100gr slick tricks at 59lbs were complete pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. Tony.Loney

Tony.Loney Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with the 60 pounder. If you are getting tired after less than 20 shots then you need to go much less weight. Get a 60 pounder back off to 50 if you need to. I like to be able to sit on the floor on my butt aim my bow to target and draw straight back. This is only my opinion but if you cannot do that maybe shooting too much weight. Good luck with new bow

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you about Jeff Hanneman, RIP absolutely!!

7. scfletch

scfletch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My Halon 32 is set at 64 lbs. it is comfortable to me. I shot my Hoyt Vectrix and Hoyt Defiant at 64 lbs. and killed plenty of deer.

8. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 57# and still considering going lower

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of folks get caught up in this penetration thing, especially on deer sized animals. What people end up doing is raising their poundage thinking it will increase penetration/speed. They never think about things like what that high poundage is doing to their shoulder, if they can draw it back smoothly in awkward positions, can they even get it back in bitter cold temps, etc.

There is one variable that I use when trying to setup a bow and build the perfect hunting arrow combo. Will my setup bail me out a bit if my shot sucked? Perfect example was this past year on a Missouri Deer I killed. Shot was low, deer had leg tucked up and back when I stopped him. The arrow hit him square on the leg bone at the bend. He made it 30 yards and piled up from a heart shot. Upon inspection, we discovered that I not only broke the entry side leg, but also the exit side leg as well. In other words, I think my setup bailed me out.

My setup is: Bowtech Experience at 63lbs @ 28.5". Arrow weight is 452gr total, Slick Trick Standard broadhead.

10. charlie250

charlie250 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any disadvantages to having a 60-70lb bow turned down to 65? Is it better to have a 50-60lb bow maxed out instead? I was planning on ordering 55-65 but mathews doesn't offer that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say not anymore.
    Was said to be true on old bows.
    I think it still comes up because it's one of those " that's how we always did it"
    I know guys that have their bow at 57 or 63 etc, because that's where there bow/arrow combo tuned the best.

12. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree.

I shot a 70# bow cranked to 72# every since I got a compound and left traditional. Practiced all year long and never had a problem with sitting or in the cold, etc.

When I went to my first 3D they had a 280fps limit and they tested me and I failed. I compensated with arrow weight to get within 3% error of 280fps.

I quickly discovered that between adding indoor on Thursday nights and two 3Ds a month coupled with all the practice I did throughout the week to hit a quarter sized target at 50yds 70# was too much. Far cry from 15-25 arrows a day Mon-Fri to go sit in a tree Sat and/or Sun and draw the bow once or none.

Most of the 3Ds around me are 25-35 targets and one was a team competition with 45. That was halfway doable but wore me out. My eye opener was the last night I ever shot 70+. I went to an indoor and we did a 5 spot vegas thing. 10 rnds of 5 arrows a round. I shot maybe 10-15 warm up arrows and the first 5 or 6 rnds I was doing pretty good. Rnds 6 or 7 thru 10 I embarrassed myself.

I bought a 50-60# bow and shoot 61# to hunt and print another tape for competitions and shoot 56#. More than like will drop to 56 and leave it from here on out.

Already been thru double shoulder surgery and don't want to go thru that again anyway.

13. charlie250

charlie250 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the post. That was very helpful. The more I read the more it just seems unnecessary to shoot 70lb. I

14. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting 60# an 28 inch draw. An I love it I have had nothing but pass thrus. I do shoot a lil heavier arrow then most around 475gr. With almost 200 of it up front. An also I still shoot rage hypodermic. I have nothing but success an enjoy it more because I can shoot longer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

15. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO 50lb minimum. That said a strong young friend of mine shoots a 70lb bow at 72lbs with Rage Extreme 125's, on aluminum 2219 arrows. That rig is tuned to perfection, and the damage and penetration he gets with it is mind boggling. This year, on a large bodied mature whitetail buck, he put one through the near side shoulder blade, totally destroyed the far leg bone at the armpit, and after all that his arrow was still stuck in the ground several inches! Blades were bent but the broadhead held together. Makes me wish I was young and strong again!

16. charlie250

charlie250 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks govtrapper. I am seriously thinking about going this route.

17. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree, a 60lb bow maxed out at 61-62lbs, with a 300-350 grain arrow tipped with a 100 grain Rage Hypodermic+P, for a total of 400-450 grains, and you will be VERY happy! And when you get older your shoulders will thank you.

18. charlie250

charlie250 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  19. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    65lbs, 27in draw.

20. charlie250

charlie250 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up getting the 60-70lb draw and having it turned down to 65. Next time around I'll get 50-60lb bow. [​IMG]