Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Kansas public land hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GoInLight, Jan 6, 2017.

1. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for some help on planning a public land hunt in Kansas. I'm definitely not asking for anyone's inside info. I would like to know whether I should hunt north, central, or eastern Kansas? Also are there any walk in only spots you would recommend?? Last thing is time of year, should I come in September to beat the crowds or hunt the rut?? Thank you for any info and if I can ever help any of you, just let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience the one piece of advice you WONT get on the Internet is where to hunt public land. :lol: Locals don't want any more pressure on their deer, and guys who travel in don't want to give up the info they've gained over the years.

People will tell you what bow, broadhead and arrow to shoot a deer with, which treestand to shoot it from, where to shoot it, where not to shoot it, how to track it, how to take pictures of it, how to cut it up and how to cook it. Just don't expect them to tell you where to kill it.

Personally speaking I've accepted the fact that sometimes you just need to figure this stuff out on your own.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First tell me a lil about you...

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if Kansas does the same, but Missouri will put out a end of season report. You may be able gain info on the amount of deer taken per county.
    You can also call the game management agent for an area and they may provide some insight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    KS season reports are about as accurate as a group of drunk frat boys bragging about how much tail they bagged on spring break. We have no check in system and largely the numbers come from the few (too few) surveys they send out annually and the few "Hunter logs" That some guys keep and report.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    But are there cell phone pics?

7. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    We can only hope..

8. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I totally understand!! Hope you guys had a great season!

9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One indicator is how many antler less deer you can take in a unit for population. (Guess by state officials) some units allow 1 others 5. Mid to late October and November are best. Muzzle loader season and archery season open the same day in September and for some reason there is a gun doe season in October for a weekend. (Avoid that weekend). When ag crops are cut effects the deer in that local. There is an Atlas published that has walk in areas and public access. There are some huge bucks on public land but you will have to work hard or be dam lucky. Also practice shooting on windy days. West of Hays practice on really windy days. Do not know where you are from but Kansas is pretty much open country and shots typically are 30 to 40 yards. Ladder stands and clamp on's are used mostly as trees are short and crooked for the most part. I live in the mountains of Kansas (Flint Hills) and it can be rough as a cob in some draws. Western Kansas has lots of things that can poke and stick you. Cell phones don't work everywhere here.

I hate to say it but in reality Kansas is a piss poor managed game and fish department.

10. GoInLight

GoInLight Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info!! I'm from Alabama so Kansas will be much different for me. I'm looking forward to the adventure.

11. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't expect people to be nice on public land. I had a guy sit 40 yds from me on the ground that came crashing through right at light while I was all set up in my stand waiting for light to come and when it finally did, here he came. Made sure he knew I was there, but he didn't care. And that's definitely not the first time that's happened. Hopefully Kansas treats you better. Not everyone is like that, but you never know. Just a warning, but you probably already know if you've hunted public land before. Still have taken many deer on public land, just gotta deal with other ppl. Good luck