Compound Bow or Cross Bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Texjake, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once you pick your bow you can begin the process of fretting over arrow brand and which fletching and then head weight to practice with and then broadhead type (Mech or fixed)? and then fingers or releases............. Which release???? Then instinctive or to use a sight. Which sight? Fixed or slider? Single or multi pin? Which arrow rest? Do you do you get a good drop away rest or settle for something like a biscuit? Which Stab?

Then the really important things like which brand of camo? :argue: Do I wear makeup on my face or wear a mask or grow a manly bear instead? Ground blind or tree stand? Which stand? Scents? Ozone? calls, decoys? Do I list all these thing in my sig line???

Welcome to bowhunting.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The state you live in and pay taxes defines crossbows as archery weapons by allowing their use in the archery season. I am afraid by definition of law crossbows are archery equipment. Don't get me wrong I used to be anti crossbow as archery and I do support Minnesota's current definition of crossbow usage, in the long run let it go let people make their choice it does not hinder or impinge on your opportunities during archery season. Not saying that you are not entitled to your opinion but throwing out your definition declaring it the way it is as correct does not really persuade anyone. Do not compare yourself to others or them to you, happy hunting.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "Settle"? How dare you! lol I happen to love my WB. For hunting, I wouldn't use anything else.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will never understand why people are concerned with what is on another man's or woman's bow.

5. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    I cant stress enough how wrong you are. Everything you posted is complete poppycock. You will want to be careful going forward, stating things you wish were factual that are in fact dead wrong.

Allow me to educate you on the state I live in (WI) 3 years ago, lawmakers set about creating language that at first would have done exactly what you stated. They hoped to lump crossbowers into bowhunting in WI but several orgs worked with lawmakers and educated them on just how different the two weapons and sports are. Thanks to that edification, WI is the first state to defeat the NRA’s push to lump crossbowing into a states archery deer season.

The final result was that WI has and maintains an archery deer season for hunters using real, human powered bows and they created a new and separate crossbow season separate of archery and bowhunting.

WI has and maintains an archery deer license and a separate crossbow deer hunting license.

WI has registration for game animals for those killed by bowhunters (archers) and registration for those killed by crossbowers. When you register your kill on line or on the phone, the state asks if you killed the aminal with 1. archery gear, 2. Fiream or 3. crossbow.

WI did this so that game animals can be managed by weapons types and usage/participation and success rates based on weapons (bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, firearms)

After 2 seasons of keeping separate records WI (unlike other states) is able to capture the effects to the deer herd by each user group. The data showed that the most successful user group was the crossbower (more successful than the bowhunter and even the fireams deer hunter per lic. Sold) As a result, 4 resolutions passed in 4 counties asking that the crossbow deer season be shortened. Those talks continue. Nobody is suggesting the archery deer season be shortend because that user group has demonstrated is effects on the deer herd for 70+ years. Hence the need to keep the two types of hunters and seasons separate.

This increased success for the crossbower was forwarned and was the reason for the separation so the future could be managed rather than making the mistake of lumping crossbowers in with real bowhunters like many other states did.

Also, your claim “definition of law crossbows are archery equipment” is likewise 100% false. Statute and administrative code in WI clearly defines bows and arrows and bowhuting separate of that from crossbows and crossbowers. WI’s legal definitions clearly spell out crossbows and bows and arrows. This was done as part of the clear separation of seasons. WI’s statute and code says this about a bow. Bow: Any bow, drawn and held by and through the effort of the person releasing it, but it does not include crossbow.

As to your other comment. I hope to dispel you flawed thinking there too. I do not hate or dislike crossbows or crossbowers. I think those guys enjoy what they do. They just are not bowhunters. Bowhunters use human powered weapons. The long running org that records the kills of bowhunters (Pope and Young) and state bowhunting orgs likewise do not count crossbows nor crossbowing as part of bowhunting and for good reason. I think the crossbowers maintain their own records book (as well they should). Crossbows are a fine weapons (as are muzzleloaders and firearms) but they are not bowhunting tools. At some point (due to age or perhaps disability) I may be forced to quit the sport of bowhunting. If/when that happens, I may consider taking up the sport of crossbowing. I would not say that if I hated or disliked crossbows.

I hope this clears up the the incorrect stances you held on WI law regarding bowhunting and crossbows.

Now that that is settled, lets help this new bowhunter take up one of the greatest sports available to man.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Geez man. Congratulations, you won the highschool debate. And in turn you've informed other hunters they are inferior and not worthy because they use crossbows. Awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just hoped to correct sotas really flawed posting as others might read what he wrote thinking it was truthful/factual.

And no, crossbowers are NOT inferior nor are they unworthy. They are no doubt, good guys enjoying their sport.

8. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a mechanic and there's more tools in this thread than in any of my toolboxes or either one of my shops....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

9. Innovative Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    While I suggest supporting your local archery stores, there is something to be said about buying used if you dont have the budget for new. Lots of guys have to have the latest and greatest fad and sell bows every year that are only one season old. The negative is you dont have the shop fitting you and answering the questions you will no doubt have. You save money up front but if you dont have an an experienced mentor, you end up frustrated and perhaps have a the bow setup wrong and not tuned. As a bowhunter, there is considerable tuning and form and measurement considerations that are unique to this human powered sport. What state are you in?

10. 4Blade

4Blade Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally hunt with a compound bow and a crossbow. Both are useful tools to get the job done and I haven't found that using a crossbow makes it any easier. I personally don't care if a hunter is using a crossbow, compound bow, recurve, longbow, rifle, shotgun, or any other weapon. The main thing is that you are hunting. Enjoying the outdoors. Sharing it with friends and family, That's what it is really about. So I recommend trying both and hunting as much as you can. Good luck!!

11. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Bear Lights Out, and I am about to add to my stable with a dual cam.