NAP Apache Let-Down

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by youngcd12, Jan 3, 2017.

1. youngcd12

youngcd12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I hunted with the NAP Apache rest this past season, and liked it except for one thing. The rest doesn't stay up on let-down. I am shooting a Mathews Halon at 70lbs. Whenever I would let down, it would the arrow would bang around in the housing and be pretty noisy.

I couldn't find many other people having this issue, yet it really bothered me as I felt I could not let down if I decided to not take the shot at an animal without spooking. The only other person who had mentioned this suggested that if they couldn't let down without making noise, they're "overbowed". I don't feel like I am overbowed, as it's comfortable for me to pull back and hold for an extended period of time. It's just the let down I can't do slowly and smoothly enough to be silent.

I used to shoot a QAD Hunter, and it stayed up and had felt on it so I was able to let down without ever making noise.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Hammerin Hank

Hammerin Hank Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had the same issue on my last bow. I put some stick on felt on the riser and I could let down quietly.

3. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot this rest and I absolutely love it I shoot a HTX and don't have this issue often I think you are overbowed

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It's all about how slowly you can let the bow down. Not to be "that guy", but you should be able to slowly and steadily let your bow down from full draw. If it starts to rip your arm forward and there's a noticeable jolt to the point the arrow is flopping around on your rest, you may be drawing a little too much draw weight.

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 3 QADs...nothing but issues for me. They were very loud and failed twice. Tried the Code Red. Nice, quieter by far but still had stuff to fail so I moved on. NAP Apache Carbon on 3 bows. I see no reason to change

My recommendations:

Drop your bow weight or strengthen up. You should be able to draw slow and smooth. Same with let down. If you can't let down slow, smooth and quiet you are over bowed.

Put some moleskin in area where the arrow may contact your bow.

6. StukUmm007

StukUmm007 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Felt, Moleskin, Silicon strip, bumper. I have same rest but feel the controlled let down is what keeps it silent and not jerking the arrow or rest around. This rest for me has performed very well, no complaints.

7. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Apache for Christmas and can understand the noise issue. A little bit of felt on the riser will go a long way on keeping the noise down. I really like how it is so easy to adjust for tuning purposes but the fact that it didn't come with a way to connect the rip cord to the down cable was kind of a let down.

8. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Drop your bow down to 60 and see if you have the same problem?

9. youngcd12

youngcd12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses.

I just can't seem to let down slowly enough to be quiet with this rest, at this weight. If that means I'm overbowed then I guess I am overbowed! Maybe I'll have to drop it down and re-sight in.

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OR just shoot more until you can let down without any issues. Try shooting sitting on a chair with your feet flat on the ground. You should be able to draw smooth like that. And try sitting on the ground with your legs straight out in front of you. Both good way to strengthen up. It will make you use just your bow drawing muscles. Don't feel bad. I use an 80# bow for 20+ years. Now I shoot 53-60#.