Recurve Bow - Whitetail Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by TedderX, Dec 20, 2016.

1. TedderX

TedderX Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Brush Rest Elevated Arrow Rest

I have a question about this product. I know it raises the shaft off the shelf and you can also use vanes instead of fletching. But is there any real advantage to having this product or a similar one?

2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that rest helps. Flipper fingers work to. Watch a slow motion video of an arrow coming off a recurve and you will wonder how we hit anything.

3. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    .......I'll be back, I'm looking for my boots!.....

4. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't see any advantage in that type of rest. I'd say the majority of recurve/longbow hunters shoot of the shelf ( basic rug rest) which I have on all my bows except my target bow , flipper rest on that with feather fletch.

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tedder, to save yourself from asking so many questions and waiting for differing answers from here, I would suggest calling 3Rivers Archery. If you want to shoot a longbow or recurve, give them a call and you will get some sound advice and good recommendations for a setup. It will be much easier for you to get started. After that, I would suggest looking into some trad forums for further instruction and insight, or possibly even trying to find somebody near you that shoots traditional archery to help you. It will be way easier for you to see in person rather than to try and learn through the internet. Just my opinion. Good luck getting started.

6. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This IS a Trad. forum..

Finding someone near you is an excellent suggestion, not sure where you're located but sometimes hands on help is a good idea and finding a like-minded person to share the fun with is good..

Until then, ask any questions you may have..

chris

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that this is a trad forum, but bowhunting.com does not have the amount of trad users like trad only forums. There is a wealth of info on other traditional archery only forums. There are only a handful of guys here to give any advice on shooting trad. I'm not saying that he's making a mistake asking for advice here, just saying he might get more insight from a place that specializes in traditional bowhunting.

8. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gee!....." Traditional" bowhunting ain't rocket science. The op has had his questions answered... except one.

9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The recurve and long bow are long narrow bows ... balance is key in how they shoot. A quiver hanging off the side effects the balance and is just something in the way to hit the stand, brush, blind and does not really speed up second shots. But my quiver is not mounted to any of my v or xbows... except my fishing bow has a little holder that holds the fishing arrow because it is tied to the jug reel on the bow.

You will see a quiver mounted to a recurve from time to time but not often.

10. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may want to head over to Stickbow.com , The Leatherwall, You'll see lots of guys using bow quivers. Fred Bear himself used them. Don't forget the purpose of a quiver, to carry arrows. Some quivers have a quick detach feature which can be handy which I prefer as all of mine are like that. Make sure of course you practice/ shoot your bow if you choose to leave it on. Don't forget either that thousands and thousands of compound users are using quivers attached to their bows.

11. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always welcome any words of wisdom and advice....this is my 2nd year shooting traditional bows and only 4th season hunting. I shoot a '69 Bear Super Mag (sweet little recurve). 45@28" (my draw is 26") and it has plenty of power when I do what I'm suppose to do. I shoot 600gr Carbon with 125gr broadhead (2 blade with bleeders)/field tip for target. Lots, lots, lots of practice. I had to really practice a lot this year in a treestand because I was primarily hunting from the ground....made a big difference. This is a really good forum and great advice.

12. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you've got your equipment well thought out and put together very well. When the opportunity arises I'd bet you will get the job done.

chris

13. NWJon

NWJon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    3 arrow quivers are available at http://www.3riversarchery.com/eagles-flight-mini-3-arrow-bow-quiver.html

You can also find traditional broadheads at http://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/arrows/broadheads

I personally use a Zwickey 2 blade broadhead 135 gr plus.

If you're going to shoot traditional archery, you must stop thinking modern compound. I've been shooting traditional since 1968, and the fun begins everyday I pick up the bow. You will learn to be consistent, and accuracy will improve and eventually shoot instinctively.

A good book from Byron Ferguson "Become the Arrow" and you can learn well.

14. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True statement except as simple as it may seem, you need a few things to hit the spot you are looking at. Proper Bow weight, arrow spine, brace height, string material, correct nocking point placement, fletching size & number, degree of helix, nock fit and the list goes on. Good information can be found on Tradgang.com and Stickbow.com to name a couple.